Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Water blades

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-16, 12:10 PM
jstagn
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Water blades

Wondering how to dry RX after washing. Used California water blade on my 2011 es but it seems to create? water spots on my new Silver Rx350. Also what is the best car wash soap to use??? Thanks..
Old 09-12-16, 12:41 PM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

Personally, I have never used a water blade and I don't think I could. The thought of dragging some contaminant across the painted surface...just couldn't do it. But if it works, what do I know...

I use a waffle weave drying towel for drying my RX. I use about six of them, one for each section of the car. I never rub the water off, just pull the towel across. I use some cotton towels for underneath the door area. Waffle weaves come in all sorts of sizes, I like the smaller ones, around 16x16, because they are easy to handle and hold enough water for the section I'm doing. They last for years. Any spots left can be cleared up with a micro and detail spray.

Car soap, I wait till some car wash soap goes on sale and use that. Some are better than others, but always car wash soap...no dish soap. They last one was Meguiars Ultimate, on sale 40% off, so I used that. I do a pre-wash with a foam gun, but that's not really necessary, I 'm just bored and a little sick.

To help the vehicle dry itself, run the water from the hose without a nozzle. The water should sheet off and make drying easier.

That's just my method, not saying it's perfect or even correct. But I don't have marks in the finish from improper wash and dry.
Old 09-12-16, 01:19 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

I highly recommend you do not continue to use water blades. The chance of picking up tiny particles and then dragging them across the paint is very high, and they have been proven to cause tiny scratches in most cases. It is just not worth the risk to me.

If you have a good hydrophobic layer of protection on your vehicle, you can sheet 80%+ of the water from the vehicle and then blot the rest with a towel, or use a blower to remove the remaining water.

Check out this article for more information on how to properly wash & dry your car without causing swirl marks.
How To Properly Wash and Dry a Car by Todd Cooperider
Old 09-13-16, 07:06 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,095 Likes on 934 Posts

Just fire up a leaf blower and air dry the vehicle!
Old 09-13-16, 11:40 AM
dat dude
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

While it may not be entirely related, there is a product called "Speed Detailer" that Chemical Guys offer, you spray it on the car while it's still wet and then you wipe it off along with the water. It creates a streak free dry and gets all the water off (for the most part) with the first wipe. It also gives the car a wax-like sheen too. Definitely worth a try and is a good alternative to a water blade.
Old 09-15-16, 10:14 AM
dat dude
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PatrixUSA
I've seen this method used to great result. I've heard the less you touch the car when washing the better, and this accomplishes drying without touching, so all the better. Now if we could only figure out how to wash without touching, that would be great!
That's why we have "Touch less" washes