Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Detailing estimate for 4th gen LS

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-16, 07:19 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 292 Likes on 251 Posts
Default Detailing estimate for 4th gen LS

I am planning to get the exterior of my vehicle detailed (460L). I don't have the skills, experience or tools for it! There are plenty of swirls, so there will be paint correction too. Here's a note from a detailer quoting $200 for the job. Does it sound reasonable? Thanks for your help.

"Paint correction would be $200 it is an enormous vehicle! I would put the time at about 3 hours for just the exterior. That would come with chemical guys jet seal which is up to a year of protection and 2 passes one to cut the defects down and level the paint and a polishing pass to close up the swirls and put the natural oils back into the paint! "
Old 05-24-16, 07:57 AM
Littleguy
Intermediate

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

If they are doing a clay, polish, and wax and they do a good job it is a reasonable price. I spend $220 last week for the same work.
Old 05-24-16, 08:16 AM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

$200 for the exterior only?
Old 05-24-16, 08:34 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Littleguy
If they are doing a clay, polish, and wax and they do a good job it is a reasonable price. I spend $220 last week for the same work.
Thanks. Yes, I think (and will confirm that) clay bar is included.

Originally Posted by dlbuckls10
$200 for the exterior only?
Yes.
Old 05-24-16, 08:59 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

As a professional who specializes in paint correction and paint protection, I can guarantee you that this vehicle will not be properly corrected in just 3 hours.

We would likely spend 15+ hours on the exterior of a large sedan with jet black paint that is in need of a proper 2 step correction... this includes all the necessary cleaning, decontamination, paint correction, polishing, and paint protection work.

$200 is fair for the amount of time he plans to spend on the vehicle, but if you want it done right, it will be considerably more expensive and time consuming. For reference, our prices would start around $900 for this vehicle and the work I mentioned above.

I see you are in Missouri.. if you are around the St. Louis area, contact Ralph Williams at Williams Auto Detailing. He is an expert in high end detailing and paint correction work. Let him know I sent you.

-Zach McGovern
Old 05-24-16, 09:06 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

also, as a side note... I would not trust anyone who describes polishing as "closing up the swirls and put natural oils back into the paint". It is clear that they absolutely do not understand the science of what they are doing.

Paint correction is a process which utilizes abrasive liquids and pads to remove paint in order to level the clear coat to produce a flat, and therefore defect free finish. There is no transfer of oils or closing up swirls or whatever nonsense he is explaining (unless he plans to temporarily hide the defects by filling them with a glaze or wax... in which case he would not be doing any real correction and the defects will become visible again after a few washes).

Let me know if you have any questions and we will get you all the right information on this type of work

-Zach
Old 05-24-16, 09:15 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
As a professional who specializes in paint correction and paint protection, I can guarantee you that this vehicle will not be properly corrected in just 3 hours.

We would likely spend 15+ hours on the exterior of a large sedan with jet black paint that is in need of a proper 2 step correction... this includes all the necessary cleaning, decontamination, paint correction, polishing, and paint protection work.

$200 is fair for the amount of time he plans to spend on the vehicle, but if you want it done right, it will be considerably more expensive and time consuming. For reference, our prices would start around $900 for this vehicle and the work I mentioned above.

I see you are in Missouri.. if you are around the St. Louis area, contact Ralph Williams at Williams Auto Detailing. He is an expert in high end detailing and paint correction work. Let him know I sent you.

-Zach McGovern
Thanks, Zach. Appreciate the detailed assessment. I think the paint is in pretty good shape, nevertheless, it may need more than 3 hours. I am in Columbia, about two hours from St. Louis, so would have to find someone here.
Old 05-24-16, 09:20 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Ah Columbia... a place I always enjoy going back to visit. MIZ!

Unfortunately I do not know anyone in that exact area to direct you to, but best of luck! And if you want to learn to DIY, I would be happy to get you pointed in the right direction
Old 05-24-16, 09:59 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
Ah Columbia... a place I always enjoy going back to visit. MIZ!

Unfortunately I do not know anyone in that exact area to direct you to, but best of luck! And if you want to learn to DIY, I would be happy to get you pointed in the right direction
Z-O-U!

I really don't think I can pull something like this off. Don't have the knowledge, time or skills. Plus the $ investment needed to get started. I will ask more questions of this detailer and get a couple more estimates before deciding. I know a DIYer in my neighborhood who quoted $300, but he is not insured, and I am hesitant in case something goes wrong.

Last edited by comotiger; 05-24-16 at 10:05 AM.
Old 05-24-16, 10:40 AM
Chuckinnj
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 59 Posts

$200?....... Way too cheap for a quality correction job.
Two things you can do: Spend the money at a high end detail shop that will do the correction job correctly OR buy a machine, pads, Clay, Polish, Sealer, Wax and do it yourself....... Don't be afraid to go this route.
Lots of how to vids available from suppliers and plenty of help right here on CL.
There is a big investment initially but this will pay you back the second time you detail a car.

Last edited by Chuckinnj; 05-24-16 at 10:44 AM.
Old 05-24-16, 01:54 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Chuckinnj
$200?....... Way too cheap for a quality correction job.
Two things you can do: Spend the money at a high end detail shop that will do the correction job correctly OR buy a machine, pads, Clay, Polish, Sealer, Wax and do it yourself....... Don't be afraid to go this route.
Lots of how to vids available from suppliers and plenty of help right here on CL.
There is a big investment initially but this will pay you back the second time you detail a car.
I do want to make sure the job is done well, so maybe $200-300 may not be the top notch job. Since my vehicle is only 2 years old, I think the paint correction required is probably minor (I am a novice, so I wouldn't know really!), so I may get decent results for the quoted work. It is from a professional detailer, and to my eyes, their work looks pretty good. When I get this done, I will post before/after pictures for you all to judge!
Old 05-24-16, 02:52 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

I agree, WAY too cheap.

Try and take a picture for us with a flash or with a bright light shining on the paint.

The fear is some cheap hack detailer can actually make things worse. I would try and find a real professional...
Old 05-24-16, 04:51 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

Being that your color black if not done rite it gonna show easily. I'm no expert myself but I've learn to do it myself. Took me a good 20hr split in two day process. Being most of it was exterior paint correction and preping.
Old 05-24-16, 05:53 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by comotiger
There are plenty of swirls, so there will be paint correction too.
Don't assume anything. A light buffing may be all that's needed to get the swirls out. I don't like the fact that the guy feels compelled to tell you the "car is enormous", or his terminology "close up the swirls and put the natural oils back into the paint", but get some references - he may do a great job for a reasonable price.
Old 05-24-16, 08:18 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

I am with Zach. Sounds like typical BS detail to me. 3 hours for a 2 stage correction is laughable. "Stage 2 to put natural oils back in the paint"...literally the guy pulled that phrase straight out of his a$$. Would not let this guy detail my Huffy bicycle.

I can't complain though, hacks like this keep me working since there are plenty of "hack jobs" for us to fix.

Quick Reply: Detailing estimate for 4th gen LS