Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Any feed back on Ceramic Pro 9H long term?

Old 08-05-15, 09:59 PM
Lexwerkes
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any feed back on Ceramic Pro 9H long term?

I'm looking at going with Ceramic Pro for our heavily used RX450h. I've read the materials and a few reviews. I'm looking for feedback from anyone that has applied Ceramic Pro 9H and have had it for at least a few thousand miles. Looking for positives and negatives.

Also open to alternative options. Looking for durable protection, the car is going to do beach duty in Hawaii and secondarily have good depth and gloss. Looking for something to last at least 5 years without having to be refreshed or reapplied. I'm fine with washes very other week and application of a topper.
Old 08-06-15, 07:47 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Ceramic Pro is a newer company that is starting to capture the attention of the US market. I have no personal experience with the product, but the company's ethics in general have turned me away from the product.

I will hold any speculation about the product itself as I am sure it works well, but I chose to stay away based on some of their unrealistic claims and ambush marketing techniques.

Another CL member posted recently about his IS-F being coated with it, perhaps you could reach out to him... or contact an installer in your area for references of customers who have had it installed.

One thing to mention due to mass consumer confusion is that the 9H they reference in the title is not mineral hardness, but simply a hardness rating based on the pencil hardness test.

Other options would be Opti-Coat, CQuartz, GTechniq, etc.

-Zach
Old 08-06-15, 12:40 PM
Lexwerkes
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
Ceramic Pro is a newer company that is starting to capture the attention of the US market. I have no personal experience with the product, but the company's ethics in general have turned me away from the product.

I will hold any speculation about the product itself as I am sure it works well, but I chose to stay away based on some of their unrealistic claims and ambush marketing techniques.

Another CL member posted recently about his IS-F being coated with it, perhaps you could reach out to him... or contact an installer in your area for references of customers who have had it installed.

One thing to mention due to mass consumer confusion is that the 9H they reference in the title is not mineral hardness, but simply a hardness rating based on the pencil hardness test.

Other options would be Opti-Coat, CQuartz, GTechniq, etc.

-Zach

I also picked up on the "9H" when I read the marketing material. For those not knowing the hardness measures, this can lead to the impression that is is approaching the hardness of a diamond. I see your point. It also affected my confidence in the guarantee and possible customer service interactions. Thanks for this insight.

I've also had good results with Opti-Coat, just desire a little more pop in depth and gloss. Haven't tried CQuartz but have seen cars with CQuartz and they look great. I have also used GTecniq with good results but we are having some supply issues in the islands.

Because of my desire to have more depth and gloss I am thinking of trying something different from the Opti-Coat. A local detailer who has very good technique has been using Ceramic Pro and it looks good. Short list looks like Ceramic Pro and the latest 22ple (also had good experience with 22ple).

Thanks again Zack for your help
Old 12-01-15, 09:28 PM
PRSUIT460
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I have a friend that has been coating with Opti-Coat for years. He recently starting coating using Ceramic Pro. He is very impressed with Ceramic Pro so far over the Opti. I am in the process of checking out and possibly being an installer for CeramicPro as well.
Old 12-04-15, 12:36 AM
Lexwerkes
Driver School Candidate

I went with the Ceramic Pro and I am very happy with the results. We have had a number of storms come through the islands and have had rainy days except for 2 days this past month.

If I drive fast enough the mud and rain just beads off Unfortunately I don't have room in the garage for the 450h but because of the coating it is easy to keep the car looking good. It has the depth and gloss of the 22ple unlike the Opti-coat. So far the Ceramic Pro does not spot as easy as the 22ple or Opti-coat. Time will tell regarding the durability, its been two months and I have been pleased with it.

Here's some pics of my 450h with the Ceramic Pro.
Attached Thumbnails Any feed back on Ceramic Pro 9H long term?-lexus-450h-rear-quarter.jpg   Any feed back on Ceramic Pro 9H long term?-lexus-450h-front-quarter.jpg  
Old 12-04-15, 04:55 AM
wecopueo
Driver School Candidate

It also affected my confidence in the guarantee and possible customer service interactions
Old 12-04-15, 06:58 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexwerkes
I went with the Ceramic Pro and I am very happy with the results. We have had a number of storms come through the islands and have had rainy days except for 2 days this past month.

If I drive fast enough the mud and rain just beads off Unfortunately I don't have room in the garage for the 450h but because of the coating it is easy to keep the car looking good. It has the depth and gloss of the 22ple unlike the Opti-coat. So far the Ceramic Pro does not spot as easy as the 22ple or Opti-coat. Time will tell regarding the durability, its been two months and I have been pleased with it.

Here's some pics of my 450h with the Ceramic Pro.
I appreciate your opinion on Ceramic Pro, it's a very good product. However, I will have to disagree that it looks better than OC and has the gloss of 22PLE.

99% of the "look" is in the prepwork. Coatings maybe give it that 1% extra gloss if you can measure it with a gloss meter. To the naked eye, you will not see the difference. I've done just as many 22PLE installs as I have OC and CQ. To me, and my coworkers, as well as customers, they will agree that it's not really the coating that makes the paint pop but all the prep before coating.

I would love for you or someone else to prove me otherwise. Maybe we are all wrong.
Old 12-07-15, 08:41 PM
CTFSportSE
Rookie

Following.

I chose to use Opti-Coat 2.0 on my E60 and more than a year & a half later, its hydrophobic properties are quite impressive. I was disappointed to see they changed the formula to something less permanent with their new Opti-Gloss formula.

Picked up my CT200h about 6 weeks ago and was going to Opt-coat it, but picked up the 20cc syringe of opti-gloss, but have had seconds thoughts and wanted to do more research.
Old 12-07-15, 09:15 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by CTFSportSE
Following.

I chose to use Opti-Coat 2.0 on my E60 and more than a year & a half later, its hydrophobic properties are quite impressive. I was disappointed to see they changed the formula to something less permanent with their new Opti-Gloss formula.

Picked up my CT200h about 6 weeks ago and was going to Opt-coat it, but picked up the 20cc syringe of opti-gloss, but have had seconds thoughts and wanted to do more research.
FWIW, "permanent" is a very deceptive word in the coating industry.

... andGloss Coat is a fine product.

-Zach
Old 12-07-15, 09:52 PM
CTFSportSE
Rookie

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
FWIW, "permanent" is a very deceptive word in the coating industry.

... andGloss Coat is a fine product.

-Zach
I'll probably end up applying it this week while the weather is still holding out. Thankfully, not a ton of prep-work needed on my CT.
Old 12-08-15, 02:00 AM
Lexwerkes
Driver School Candidate

Talking

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
I appreciate your opinion on Ceramic Pro, it's a very good product. However, I will have to disagree that it looks better than OC and has the gloss of 22PLE.

99% of the "look" is in the prepwork. Coatings maybe give it that 1% extra gloss if you can measure it with a gloss meter. To the naked eye, you will not see the difference. I've done just as many 22PLE installs as I have OC and CQ. To me, and my coworkers, as well as customers, they will agree that it's not really the coating that makes the paint pop but all the prep before coating.

I would love for you or someone else to prove me otherwise. Maybe we are all wrong.
Given the same color, I do agree that paint correction is the primary factor in getting good results and have never stated otherwise.

I've offered a subjective opinion and I encourage others to state their own opinions especially different opinions. It's an opportunity to learn and share in a forum setting. Myself as well as others have had better results with CQ, 22ple, Ceramic Pro when compared to OC (old formula). I'm sure others have different options and I think that's fine.

There are many factors that may affect the results so having different opinions is expected. If you really do want to have proof one way or the other you may want to have qualitative measures with controlled subjects.

Opinion challenges tend to be circular and time consuming. Going through the process to quantitatively determine findings for this question is beyond the time or money I'd like to spend. I live in Hawaii, there's just too many more interesting things to do Good luck on finding someone to take your challenge. Time to head to the beach