Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Steam Cleaning Perforated Leather

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-15, 09:18 PM
GSLexi
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need Advice! Will Steam Cleaning Perforated Leather Help?

Hi Guys,

I am looking at purchasing a used 2010 IS with perforated leather. The only thing holding me back is that there is a mild/moderate pet odor inside the car. Not sure if the pet had urinated in the car or it is just a pet smell.

Do you think that a professional detailer would be able to take care of this with a steam clean? Is steam cleaning leather even recommended? I realize that there are "deodorizer bomb" products, but I would prefer using the least amount of chemical cleaners possible.

Last edited by GSLexi; 07-26-15 at 07:09 AM.
Old 07-26-15, 08:01 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Eliminating odor can be an incredibly challenging task.... especially if you are not sure what caused it or where it is coming from.

If it is something that you're concerned about now, I would consider passing on the car unless you're confident it can be taken care of. It would be awful to find out after the fact that the carpet needed to be replaced or the padding of the seats were the source and couldn't be treated, etc.
Old 07-26-15, 12:07 PM
GSLexi
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
Eliminating odor can be an incredibly challenging task.... especially if you are not sure what caused it or where it is coming from.

If it is something that you're concerned about now, I would consider passing on the car unless you're confident it can be taken care of. It would be awful to find out after the fact that the carpet needed to be replaced or the padding of the seats were the source and couldn't be treated, etc.
Thanks for the reply!

I would be very upset if I couldn't get that smell out. I guess I will pass up on it.