Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Scratched my car removing bird poop - now what???

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-15, 01:49 AM
andy350
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Scratched my car removing bird poop - now what???

This is what happened:

I was feeling very good today driving a polished, waxed, extra glossy car. While everybody was at work, i decided to go to the movies in the afternoon and watch "Ted 2" for the fifth time...that little bear just makes me laugh out loud every time!!!

Anyways, like always, i decided to park my car close to the curb at an end parking space to avoid door dings...and there was like a small tree so i was extra happy with my car covered in cool shade.

When i do fun stuff especially while most people are working during work hours, i feel very blessed and don't take it for granted...so there i was laughing and enjoying my popcorn while the bird was taking a poop on my shiny black car.

WHY MEEEEE??? Why did you have to poop on my car and ruin my day!!!!!

Well, it was my fault also.

When i first saw the bird poop on my car, without thinking...i quickly grabbed my towel that i keep in my car and bottle of water...i started to rub and kept creating more and more scratches...

I could not completely remove the bird poop so i applied more pressure and force ... and kept rubbing more and more and creating even more scratches.

Damage was already done...i kept looking up in the sky feeling very angry...thinking...why meeeeee????....why meeeee????....looking for that bird that ruined my day...

I was having such a great day until this...

What was the bird thinking...out of all the cars, let's poop on the most shiny clean car...
I sometimes wonder if birds talk to each other before going on a pooping spree...
Let's go fly around looking for the cleanest car and poop on it...

After this, i drove around and went poop searching...i didn't see any poop on the dirty cars...

Anyways, that bird ruined my day...but it was my fault for scratching up the car...

So now what???

What is the best way to remove these scratches that i created???

Thank you for your help!!!
Old 07-09-15, 04:40 AM
knguyenk
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, that should of been something you should of waited until you got a hold of a quick detail spray and a microfiber towel (a bird's diet includes rocks surprisingly). It's hard to just not do that but that method will avoid the least amount of scratches. I know of a few detailers that keep quick detail spray and a microfiber towel for instances like the one you had.

As for removing the scratches, you can use a compound and polish or an all-in-one solution (Meguiars Scratch X, Chemical Guys VSS, or Adam's Polishes Revive Hand Car Polish). I'd also post in the Automotive Car & Detailing section for a second opinion.
Old 07-09-15, 08:53 AM
jv6792
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i always keep a microfiber and a quik detail spray bottle in my trunk for situations like these. I also make sure never to park under trees or lamp posts for this very reason, and because trees also release sap.

Your new scratches need to be repolished if you want them gone.

P.s: you can catch Ted 2 online for free, unless u dont mind paying for the 6th time.
Old 07-09-15, 08:31 PM
VTsuckah
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jv6792
i always keep a microfiber and a quik detail spray bottle in my trunk for situations like these.
+1 great minds think alike. I do the same.
Old 07-10-15, 06:09 AM
vinnier6
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you machine polish or do you polish by hand? I am guessing by hand otherwise you would know how to get the etching/micro marring you and the bird did to your clear coat.

You will need a real polish, something with diminishing polishing beads it...if going at it by hand, the meguiars scratch x might work, but may need repeating multiple times...use a foam pad if you have one and follow with some wax or sealant
Old 07-10-15, 06:54 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Minor scratches & paint defects can be removed through paint correction / polishing process that works to level the clear coat in order to remove the defect. This process involves using liquid compounds and/or polishes which contain abrasives that, when rubbed against the paint, will remove a fine layer of paint in order to produce a flat (ie defect free) surface.

Here you can see some paint that has swirls and scratches in it from years of driving and poor maintenance.
Name:  20150617-DSC_4133_zpswyiqqcjr.jpg
Views: 9361
Size:  670.5 KB

The surface was drastically improved with a 2-step (compounding & polishing) process.
Name:  20150617-DSC_4139_zpsgyw4ddc6.jpg
Views: 7729
Size:  505.3 KB

This same approach should be used to repair the damage you have created by rubbing your paint. If you're unfamiliar with proper washing and drying techniques, then chances are the entire car would benefit from a paint correction, but if the rest of the car is in good shape, you can isolate your process to just the damaged area.

If the defects are simply isolated to one small area, you may wish to attempt to do this by hand by simply using a foam applicator with some polish to see what kind of results you can achieve. If it seems you need a more aggressive product, you would then step up to some compound, and then follow with some polish.

If you need to do some work on the entire vehicle, you're going to want to invest in a dual action polisher, pads, and products to make your life a whole lot easier and to save you a tremendous amount of time while producing even better results.

You could also seek a trusted professional in your area to perform the work for you.

Let me know if you've got any questions.

-Zach