Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

CQuartz UK + wax?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-15, 07:19 PM
grsams
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CQuartz UK + wax?

I recently applied CQuartz UK to my 570 (which I am extremely please with). It has been nearly 2 weeks and 3 rain storms and I am preparing another cleaning session however I m wondering if it is beneficial to apply a light wax to the CQuartz? If not, what is recommended to keep the CQuartz at its best?
Old 06-12-15, 04:51 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

I would not recommend wax on top of any coating for a couple of reasons.

1 - your coating provides considerably better resistance to dust and general dirt compared to traditional waxes and sealants. CQuartz is also significantly more hydrophobic than most traditional products, so if you add a wax on top of the coating, you will be hiding all of those excellent properties of the coating.

2 - the durability of a wax on top of a coating is minimal because the wax simply won't cling to the coated surface as it would to bare paint.

There are several products that have been developed as "coating toppers" to provide additional protection and gloss to your vehicle while possessing many of the same characteristics as a coating when it comes to repelling water and dirt. For CQuartz, CarPro Reload is often recommended. It is a simple to use spray on, wipe off sealant that contains a small concentration of silica and other polymers that provide great beading/sheeting, and even better slickness. It works great on top of CQuartz coatings or even as a stand alone sealant. They claim several months of life out of this, however it can vary greatly... it takes no more than 15-20 minutes to wipe down your car after washing it, so you can do it as frequently as after every wash, or perhaps just every other month or so. Another fantastic option is 22ple VS1 Final Coat.

Maintaining Your Paint Coating by Zach McGovern

Hope that helps!

-Zach
Old 06-14-15, 09:04 AM
grsams
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Zach
Old 06-16-15, 11:00 PM
Jbreezie
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Other than the protection and gloss, I love the scent of Reload! I wonder how Final Coat compares in terms of gloss.

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
I would not recommend wax on top of any coating for a couple of reasons.

1 - your coating provides considerably better resistance to dust and general dirt compared to traditional waxes and sealants. CQuartz is also significantly more hydrophobic than most traditional products, so if you add a wax on top of the coating, you will be hiding all of those excellent properties of the coating.

2 - the durability of a wax on top of a coating is minimal because the wax simply won't cling to the coated surface as it would to bare paint.

There are several products that have been developed as "coating toppers" to provide additional protection and gloss to your vehicle while possessing many of the same characteristics as a coating when it comes to repelling water and dirt. For CQuartz, CarPro Reload is often recommended. It is a simple to use spray on, wipe off sealant that contains a small concentration of silica and other polymers that provide great beading/sheeting, and even better slickness. It works great on top of CQuartz coatings or even as a stand alone sealant. They claim several months of life out of this, however it can vary greatly... it takes no more than 15-20 minutes to wipe down your car after washing it, so you can do it as frequently as after every wash, or perhaps just every other month or so. Another fantastic option is 22ple VS1 Final Coat.

Maintaining Your Paint Coating by Zach McGovern

Hope that helps!

-Zach
Old 06-17-15, 05:41 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by Jbreezie
Other than the protection and gloss, I love the scent of Reload! I wonder how Final Coat compares in terms of gloss.
VS1 has some intense gloss.
Old 06-17-15, 02:16 PM
Jbreezie
Lexus Test Driver

I'll try it after my reload is gone!!

VS1 has some intense gloss.
Old 07-06-15, 03:39 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Jbreezie, you need a black car to see the intense shine and constant detailing for fun haha.
Old 07-06-15, 09:03 PM
tea
Lexus Test Driver

i have a nebula grey 3is, which would you recommend? CQuartz UK or the VS1??
Old 07-07-15, 07:04 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by tea
i have a nebula grey 3is, which would you recommend? CQuartz UK or the VS1??
These two products aren't comparable.

CQuartz UK is a paint coating which offers years of life, while VS1 Final Coat is a coating topper/spray sealant (similar in functionality to CarPro Reload) that is used to enhance the protection, slickness, and gloss of a coating to help maintain it for a very long time.

I would recommend 22ple VX3 Signature Coating topped with 22ple VS1 Final Coat for incredible shine and protection.

-Zach
Old 07-07-15, 09:07 AM
tea
Lexus Test Driver

These two products aren't comparable.

CQuartz UK is a paint coating which offers years of life, while VS1 Final Coat is a coating topper/spray sealant (similar in functionality to CarPro Reload) that is used to enhance the protection, slickness, and gloss of a coating to help maintain it for a very long time.

I would recommend 22ple VX3 Signature Coating topped with 22ple VS1 Final Coat for incredible shine and protection.

-Zach
Thanks for clarifying that Zach! I actually had ordered the c quartz UK and reload and prep stuff last night so I could have taken advantage of detailed images 25% off Sale.
Old 07-07-15, 09:20 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by tea
Thanks for clarifying that Zach! I actually had ordered the c quartz UK and reload and prep stuff last night so I could have taken advantage of detailed images 25% off Sale.
Very nice... you'll enjoy both products!