Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

New 3IS: Discolored Door Panels after 1 week

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-15, 08:17 AM
LeapFrog
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default New 3IS: Discolored Door Panels after 1 week

One week after pickup of my new 3IS I noticed the drivers side door panel (but not the passenger side) was becoming discolored. See the attached photo; in the full size image you can see the swirl marks. I'm assuming this is the result of the detailing which was part of the $700 "dealer prep" fee that I paid.

I've asked the dealer what I should use to clean the panel, I suppose if it doesn't clean up I can ask them to replace it.

Anyone else having this problem?
Attached Thumbnails New 3IS: Discolored Door Panels after 1 week-drivers-door-panel.jpg  

Last edited by LeapFrog; 06-03-15 at 08:26 AM. Reason: Add attachment
Old 06-03-15, 09:10 AM
AdvanSLF
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

this is the exact reason why i told my dealer not to touch my car inside or out. just move it for delivery and inspection, but do not wash, detail, or anything..
you know they prob paid some high school kid to do the work who knows nothing and will just eff up your car with them heavy duty chemicals they use.. idiots..
i would demand them replace the panel for you. its only 1 week and its ruined.. are you kidding me? hell i would tell them to replace all panels in case the others get messed up like that later..
Old 06-03-15, 09:15 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

You may want to consider posting this on the detailing forum to see if Zach has any suggestions.

It's hard to tell from the photo if the panel is damaged or just contaminated. You could try some soapy water on it followed by a dressing like 303 Aerospace.
Old 06-03-15, 09:42 AM
daobn24
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I say just use warm soapy water to see what the outcome is. I wouldn't add any dressing, however minimal, just in case the dealer try to point the finger.
Old 06-03-15, 09:44 AM
daobn24
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I take that back. Just bring it back to the dealer and ask firmly for a resolution.
Old 06-03-15, 09:48 AM
LeapFrog
Pole Position

Default Reposted: New 3IS: Discolored Door Panels after 1 week

This question is reposted here from the 3IS forum:

One week after pickup of my new 3IS I noticed the drivers side door panel (but not the passenger side or the two rear doors) was becoming cloudy and discolored. See the attached photo; in the full size images you can see the swirl marks. I'm assuming this is the result of the detailing which was part of the $700 "dealer prep" fee that I paid.

I've asked the dealer what I should use to clean the panel, I suppose if it doesn't clean up I can ask them to replace it.

Anyone else have this experience or suggestions on how to handle it?
Attached Thumbnails New 3IS: Discolored Door Panels after 1 week-drivers-door-panel.jpg   New 3IS: Discolored Door Panels after 1 week-drivers-door-panel-lower.jpg  
Old 06-03-15, 10:22 AM
Zelfiris
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you have photos of the passenger doors for reference?

It looks like they used a rough towel and wipe down your door.

Have you tried wiping it down with a soft microfiber towel with water? with IPA (isopropyl alcohol mixed with water)? There might be some trim dressing on it and the IPA would remove any residue. But it definitely looks bad
Old 06-03-15, 10:24 AM
LeapFrog
Pole Position

Originally Posted by daobn24
I take that back. Just bring it back to the dealer and ask firmly for a resolution.
That's my plan - I don't think I should even try water on it until I've taken it to the dealer. At the moment I'm waiting for a response from an email I sent them.
Old 06-03-15, 10:31 AM
LeapFrog
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Zelfiris
Do you have photos of the passenger doors for reference?
Here you go - it isn't in the direct sunlight but you can tell the difference anyway.
Attached Thumbnails New 3IS: Discolored Door Panels after 1 week-passenger-side-door-panel.jpg  
Old 06-03-15, 10:57 AM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Bring it to them and tell them to replace it or fix it. Simple. Don't waste your time, effort, and money on something they should fix for screwing up. If they don't want to do anything, talk to Lexus corporate until they fix their screw up.
Old 06-03-15, 11:03 AM
LeapFrog
Pole Position

Originally Posted by NickTee
Bring it to them and tell them to replace it or fix it. Simple. Don't waste your time, effort, and money on something they should fix for screwing up. If they don't want to do anything, talk to Lexus corporate until they fix their screw up.
I'm waiting for a response to my email to my dealer about this; it's quite a drive to the dealership so if I can just wash off whatever it is I'll try that first. Otherwise I like your suggestion, thanks!
Old 06-03-15, 11:13 AM
LeapFrog
Pole Position

Default Dealer Prep - What does Lexus recommend before delivery

I took delivery of my new 3IS about a week ago. The car has less than 100 miles on it.

Today I noticed that the driver's side lower door panel has become discolored, and I'll speculate that it is a result of the detailing that was done at the dealership before delivery. While waiting to pick up the car I saw the detailer going over the panels with a rag that was soaked in some kind of liquid.

Does Lexus recommend that dealers apply any type of cleaner or "protection" to the vehicle interiors before they are delivered, and if so what is it?
Attached Thumbnails New 3IS: Discolored Door Panels after 1 week-drivers-door-panel.jpg   New 3IS: Discolored Door Panels after 1 week-drivers-door-panel-lower.jpg  
Old 06-03-15, 11:15 AM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LeapFrog
I'm waiting for a response to my email to my dealer about this; it's quite a drive to the dealership so if I can just wash off whatever it is I'll try that first. Otherwise I like your suggestion, thanks!
Like someone else said, microfiber towel with some water and a mild cleaning agent to see if it comes off. If it does, great. If you don't get a satisfactory answer from you dealership where they will actually clean the part completely, and not just coat it something to mask it, or replace it, call corporate.
Old 06-03-15, 11:23 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,297 Posts

LeapFrog, I've merged your three threads on the same topic here.
Old 06-03-15, 11:30 AM
LeapFrog
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
LeapFrog, I've merged your three threads on the same topic here.
Hi Dave - I'm OK with consolidating the IS and Detailing threads, but now how is Lexus corporate going to know to respond to my question about their recommendations for materials to be used during dealer prep?

Quick Reply: New 3IS: Discolored Door Panels after 1 week