Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Meguiar's Quik Interior Detailer-Not a fan

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-15, 10:30 PM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Meguiar's Quik Interior Detailer-Not a fan

So I don't think I'm a fan of this stuff at all. I picked up a bottle at Walmart yesterday, $3.97 a bottle, just to try it out. I applied it to my interior panels with Meguiar's microfiber towels and didn't really notice much of a difference because of the matte finish it leaves, which is good. I DON'T EXPECT IT TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE IN APPEARANCE. The scent was, however, noticeable and pleasant.

Fast-forward to today. I had picked up Meguiar's Gold leather Sealant kit(I did like this kit quite a bit, and it was only $9.75) to take care of my seats. Upon completion of the seat, I happened to look over and I noticed that some of the verticalspots where I had used the detailer had accumulated dust. That doesn't seem right. I looked around more and noticed that it appears to have "dried", even though I wiped it dry, darker on one spot on the door panel and the navigation screen also had accumulated some dust particles. So now I have a random spot that appears slightly darker and dust accumulation. Meh.

Overall, the price is great, but I don't think I'm a fan of it. Perhaps there is a special technique other than the directions detailed by Meguiar's, but I'd rather use a detailer that doesn't accumulate dust. There is no stickiness to the touch, but it somehow attracts dust. And there's very little dust, just that tiny amount that enters when you open the door, but it still seems to gravitate straight to the treated spots.

Any suggestions on a better product or any tips, Zack? And what are your preferences on APCs for the interior?

Last edited by NickTee; 05-29-15 at 03:32 PM.
Old 05-28-15, 11:13 PM
jv6792
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i use megs d101 apc on interior panels, seats and dash diluted 10:1.. works great and should solve your spotting issue. For protection i use CarPro Perl diluted 4:1. good amount of gloss and last quite a bit
Old 05-28-15, 11:31 PM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

I'm hoping for something with less gloss, so the interior retains its natural look yet looks even. And how safe is the diluted D101 versus a specific interior cleaner?
Old 05-29-15, 05:05 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by NickTee
So I don't think I'm a fan of this stuff at all. I picked up a bottle at Walmart yesterday, $3.97 a bottle, just to try it out. I applied it to my interior panels with Meguiar's microfiber towels and didn't really notice much of a difference because of the matte finish it leaves. The scent was, however, noticeable and pleasant.
This is correct - you will not really see any visual difference in terms of sheen/gloss/darkness as this product doesn't really effect the appearance.

Fast-forward to today. I had picked up Meguiar's Gold leather Sealant kit(I did like this kit quite a bit, and it was only $9.75) to take care of my seats. Upon completion of the seat, I happened to look over and I noticed that some of the verticalspots where I had used the detailer had accumulated dust. That doesn't seem right. I looked around more and noticed that it appears to have "dried", even though I wiped it dry, darker on one spot on the door panel and the navigation screen also had accumulated some dust particles. So now I have a random spot that appears slightly darker and dust accumulation. Meh.
You must realize that dust will accumulate on absolutely everything... regardless of if there is any product on it at all.

It sounds like there was/is something on the interior that was not cleaned away before applying the QID. If you look at the MSDS for Quik Interior Detailer, you'll notice that 80-95% of it is water, 1-5% of it is Isopropyl Alcohol, while another 1-10% is made up of some cleaners and proprietary conditioners. There really is nothing in the product that can leave a messy finish... it is mostly water.

I would go over those areas with either an all purpose cleaner like Meguiar's D101 or Einszett Plastic Deep Cleaner to remove whatever it is that is on there, and then consider trying the QID again for protection if you wish.

Overall, the price is great, but I don't think I'm a fan of it. Perhaps there is a special technique other than the directions detailed by Meguiar's, but I'd rather use a detailer that doesn't accumulate dust. There is no stickiness to the touch, but it somehow attracts dust. And there's very little dust, just that tiny amount that enters when you open the door, but it still seems to gravitate straight to the treated spots.
There is no special technique... like any "quick detail" type product, less is more. Simply mist a small amount onto a towel or directly on a surface and then rub it in until it is completely dry.

Again - everything will attract dust eventually. I personally haven't noticed any difference in dust accumulation between any of the 3 main interior UV protectants that I use, however if you wanted to conduct a test, you could simply clean a panel thoroughly, then apply QID to 1/2 of it and see if there is a difference. I assume a completely bare surface may attract dust at a slower rate due to lack of rubbing which can create a static charge on the surface which will then attract dust and lack of product which may allow dust to 'cling' easier, however you then lack any sort of protection. The same type of experiment can be done on paint - bare paint will usually attract much less dust than an area that was just waxed.

Any suggestions on a better product or any tips, Zack? And what are your preferences on APCs for the interior?
I like the Einszett Plastic Deep Cleaner as the chemical itself is more gentle than most APC's, however I do use Meguiar's D101 when needed.

As for another type of interior protectant/light cleaner that leaves a matte finish... I do use Einszett Cockpit Premium

Here is Cockpit Premium compared to 303 (which I also love) for reference.

Hope that helps
-Zach
Old 05-29-15, 08:43 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

I've used the Quick Interior detailed for years and like it a lot. It doesn't change the appearance of the interior materials but that's the point. It's great for smudges and quick cleaning and when you're done it is indistinguishable for areas where it hasn't been used. It's not supposed to compare to something like 303
Old 05-29-15, 09:21 AM
swoo350
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like Zach mentioned, 303 and Einszett work wonders. I have both and use them on my girlfriend's 2015 NX and my ISF. Definitely worth investing in for interior cleaning.
Old 05-29-15, 10:39 AM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Received 186 Likes on 117 Posts

Works fine for me. I apply with one towel and dry with another.
Old 05-29-15, 10:57 AM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexRuger
Works fine for me. I apply with one towel and dry with another.
That's what I did. I will be cleaning the surface with a cleaner, then reapply once more to see if this issue reoccurs.
Old 05-29-15, 11:40 AM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

Food for your thought if your cleaning out side and door open. Chances your always get some sort of dust or dirt back in your just clean interior.
Old 05-29-15, 12:52 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

That's what I did. I will be cleaning the surface with a cleaner, then reapply once more to see if this issue reoccurs.
This is the distinction...the Interior QD IS a cleaner. Its not something that you apply after using a cleaner. Its a very mild interior cleaner, not a protectant.
Old 05-29-15, 01:15 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by SW15LS
This is the distinction...the Interior QD IS a cleaner. Its not something that you apply after using a cleaner. Its a very mild interior cleaner, not a protectant.
It is a protectant... it even says so on the bottle

It provides UV protection for your interior components, and as you mentioned, is a light cleaner for regular maintenance.

Old 05-29-15, 01:23 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Its a cleaner that also protects. I've found that most people who don't like the product are using it as a protectant or a dressing, and thats really not what its for. People who talk about "applying it after you use a cleaner". Its not a product that one "applies".
Old 05-29-15, 01:39 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

...Now you're just arguing semantics

No one in here is calling it a dressing or using it with the expectation of altering the appearance of the panel.

While it is a cleaner, it certainly isn't as capable as a heavier cleaner therefore if someone wanted to use QID after using a heavier cleaner due to its pleasant scent and protection properties, they certainly aren't using it incorrectly.

It's like saying someone using a quick detailer immediately after washing with shampoo is wasting their time.... Some may think so, others may not.
Old 05-29-15, 01:56 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
No one in here is calling it a dressing or using it with the expectation of altering the appearance of the panel.
I think you're wrong. I've seen this here and on Autopia, etc. If someone compares QID to 303 they don't really get what the purpose of QID product is. 303 is an entirely different type of product. Its like a QD vs a spray wax/sealant, yes they both get sprayed onto the surface, yes you could use a spray wax/sealant to do some light cleaning but to complain because a QD doesn't protect as well or look as good as a spray wax/sealant doesn't make any sense. You can clean a little spot on a door panel with QID and afterwards, the whole door panel looks uniform. You can't do that with 303.

This illustrates my point. You shouldn't notice a difference, because the product doesn't leave an artificial finish. Its not supposed to. Again, you don't "apply it to" something, you "clean something with it":

I applied it to my interior panels with Meguiar's microfiber towels and didn't really notice much of a difference because of the matte finish it leaves.
It's like saying someone using a quick detailer immediately after washing with shampoo is wasting their time.... Some may think so, others may not.
Not the best analogy. A better analogy would be someone using a waterless or spray wash product after washing with shampoo. QD is designed to improve the appearance of the paint, whether Meguiars markets it that way or not, QID doesn't improve the appearance of interior materials...it just cleans them off.

As a protectant the QID leaves a lot to be desired, but as a quick spritz to remove some smudges, or scuffs from your feet, or handprints on a door panel when you want a quick easy cleaner thats VERY mild...its a great product. Note what Meguars calls it: "Quick Interior Detailer Cleaner", not "Cleaner & Protectant", first bullet point "Safely cleans all interior surfaces". It doesn't say it protects, it says it "protects the original appearance" meaning it doesn't alter it.

Last edited by SW17LS; 05-29-15 at 02:00 PM.
Old 05-29-15, 03:37 PM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I think you're wrong. I've seen this here and on Autopia, etc. If someone compares QID to 303 they don't really get what the purpose of QID product is. 303 is an entirely different type of product. Its like a QD vs a spray wax/sealant, yes they both get sprayed onto the surface, yes you could use a spray wax/sealant to do some light cleaning but to complain because a QD doesn't protect as well or look as good as a spray wax/sealant doesn't make any sense. You can clean a little spot on a door panel with QID and afterwards, the whole door panel looks uniform. You can't do that with 303.

This illustrates my point. You shouldn't notice a difference, because the product doesn't leave an artificial finish. Its not supposed to. Again, you don't "apply it to" something, you "clean something with it":

Not the best analogy. A better analogy would be someone using a waterless or spray wash product after washing with shampoo. QD is designed to improve the appearance of the paint, whether Meguiars markets it that way or not, QID doesn't improve the appearance of interior materials...it just cleans them off.

As a protectant the QID leaves a lot to be desired, but as a quick spritz to remove some smudges, or scuffs from your feet, or handprints on a door panel when you want a quick easy cleaner thats VERY mild...its a great product. Note what Meguars calls it: "Quick Interior Detailer Cleaner", not "Cleaner & Protectant", first bullet point "Safely cleans all interior surfaces". It doesn't say it protects, it says it "protects the original appearance" meaning it doesn't alter it.
So now you're telling me that cleaning a part doesn't improve the appearance of it? If a surface is dirty and you clean off the dirt, the appearance is improved.(Since you seem set on pointlessly arguing).

If you want to make a point, make it.

Last edited by NickTee; 05-29-15 at 03:43 PM.

Quick Reply: Meguiar's Quik Interior Detailer-Not a fan