Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Best Wax for Black car?

Old 04-21-15, 12:09 AM
andy350
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Best Wax for Black car?

Which wax will make my black car shine the most and where can i buy this?

I currently use meguiars ultimate liquid wax which does a great job...but looking for something better.

I noticed that they sell wax specially made for black cars...is this any good?

Looking for the most shine.
Old 04-21-15, 03:55 AM
JTK
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In my limited knowledge, wax on it's own will not bring out the best shine. You need a good polish base first, then seal or highlight with wax.

Personally, I found Menzerna products to produce very good results for shine, but there are lots and lots of other options. Find a detailer in your area and see what they stock at reasonable prices, but first do some research on polishes vs waxes.
Old 04-21-15, 04:33 AM
SoulFreak
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

You need to follow the basic process, wash the car, clay, compound, polish, and finally seal everything with wax. I had a 2007 is250 obsidian and now an obsidian 2011 is f. It's a very lengthy process but results are simply speechless. As far as branding you can stick with Meguiars for now or research different brands to your taste and budget. But you need to follow the basic process. Some brands of products cut through the paint easier, which will make the process easier to apply the product and take it off. You'll pay more per bottle for this convenience. Others will be less expensive but you'll have to apply more elbow grease to take the product off and move to the next phase. Hopefully, this gives you a better idea on what to do.
Old 04-21-15, 08:11 AM
VaderIS250
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check out thechemicalguys.com man. They sell great waxes!
Old 04-21-15, 09:03 AM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You can also ask here.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/aut...detailing-122/
Old 04-21-15, 10:49 AM
andy350
Intermediate

how do you detail your car sffd103...what products do u use?
Old 04-21-15, 10:55 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

There are no 'best', just lots of preferences.

You might want to look into ceramic coating. It helps resist swirls as long as you're washing properly. Many coatings on the market will last 2+ years, and there is no need to add wax on top. Think of it as a hard clear coat (but much thinner than OEM clear). I lost interest in detailing my black car, but with the ceramic coating, I can go on much longer before it needs paint correction. Just washing the car is sufficient.
Old 04-21-15, 11:57 AM
andy350
Intermediate

looks like i am going to try out the chemicalguys.com

http://www.chemicalguys.com/Black_Pa..._p/hol_201.htm

Black paint kit plus v7 detailer & sealant that they recommend.
Old 04-21-15, 12:07 PM
tugzvr6
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Greetings all, this is my first post. I'm scheduled to pick up my new to me 2011 IS in a few days. Ive been lurking here for a few weeks

I have tried many products throughout the years trying to find the best glossy finish.
IMO, based on my experience, I have found nothing thus far to beat Zaino brothers polish. With the Zaino, the more you layer the deeper the gloss and protection. Last summer I put a little twist to the application. I layered some Collinite marque D'Elegance Carnuba Wax between the Zaino.... check the pictures, you be the judge

Here is a picture of my 2001 S2000 from last summer after Zaino/Collinite application. I cant wait to try this combo on my IS soon
Attached Thumbnails Best Wax for Black car?-fb_img_1429642885164.jpg   Best Wax for Black car?-fb_img_1429642876243.jpg   Best Wax for Black car?-fb_img_1429642869171.jpg  
Old 04-21-15, 04:15 PM
hirsch2is
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thechemicalguys and 3m products have always been my favorite
Old 04-21-15, 06:31 PM
604GSE21
Instructor

Received 320 Likes on 137 Posts

i use this... got good compliments from how good it looks... one guy thought my car was brand new...

http://www.autoglym.com/products/pro...definition-wax

Old 04-22-15, 12:49 PM
zoisi
Driver School Candidate

Autoglym works great for me too
Old 04-22-15, 10:59 PM
xhackr
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Micro abrasions make black a difficult and frustrating color for a daily driver. If not VERY careful, you will do more damage to the paint by touching it in any way, including washing it. Actually, the same damage occurs with any color, you just see it on black the easiest. For the BEST shine on black, wax or sealer, you will need to first have the paint corrected, and then learn what things never, ever to do. Correcting the paint goes beyond claying and polishing. It levels the clearcoat, and there is a limit to how many times you can do that. Even a new car needs to be clayed. Like anything else, it’s a matter of how far you wish to go, and understanding the law of diminishing returns.

Over the years I have used many of the top tier waxes as an LSP. There is nothing better to get depth from your paint, but they are not as lasting as today’s sealers. So, for the garage queen, wax it. For the DD, you may want to look at a sealant. For that, I continue to use Zaino. Their entire product line is excellent as well. On the wax side, Zymol Japon was my go to wax. Some use a sealant as a base and then top it off with a wax.

As mentioned, prepping the paint is critical, especially for Zaino, which is optically clear and will not hide slight imperfections like many waxes may. That’s not difficult, unless you are correcting the paint… and if you knew how to do that, you wouldn’t be asking this question.

In the Florida sun, even the best, high carnauba waxes will not hold up. I started using Zaino 10 years ago, and I haven’t looked back. A few coats of Z-2 and the depth is impressive. But it has a different look than wax. Some like it, some love it, some hate it. You may read that it is difficult to apply… use… etc. It’s nothing of the kind, but it does require a little learning curve. Once past that, it’s a breeze. And for a wipe and walk away shine and protection, it doesn’t get any easier than Zaino CS.

Chemical guys has some decent products, but be careful with some of their soaps in higher concentrations. They also do a lot of private branding.

There are sites dedicated to detailing. Autopia.org is a good one. Pay no mind to the fan boy battles, there and elsewhere.

Last edited by xhackr; 04-22-15 at 11:02 PM.
Old 04-23-15, 08:50 AM
jv6792
Rookie

^ listen to this guy^

no point in waxing your car just for looks. a wax is only a protective film on your clear coat. If u want color depth and clarity, do some paint correction.
Old 04-28-15, 06:29 AM
jv6792
Rookie

Originally Posted by andy350
looks like i am going to try out the chemicalguys.com

http://www.chemicalguys.com/Black_Pa..._p/hol_201.htm

Black paint kit plus v7 detailer & sealant that they recommend.
id like to try blacklight but i dont care to buy the v7 since i hav a gallon of d156 (megs quik wax) that id like to go thru first. Would i get the same results as far as clarity, depth, and shine if i top blacklight with d156 or do i absolutely need to pair it with the v7?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Best Wax for Black car?