Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Best Wax for Black car?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-15, 06:59 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by jv6792
id like to try blacklight but i dont care to buy the v7 since i hav a gallon of d156 (megs quik wax) that id like to go thru first. Would i get the same results as far as clarity, depth, and shine if i top blacklight with d156 or do i absolutely need to pair it with the v7?
I prefer D156 to V7 honestly... D156 provides good slickness, though V7 may be better in that department. D156 certainly beads better.
Old 04-28-15, 07:34 AM
jv6792
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
I prefer D156 to V7 honestly... D156 provides good slickness, though V7 may be better in that department. D156 certainly beads better.
Nice. Thanks for clarifying!
Old 05-17-15, 01:20 PM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 530 Likes on 386 Posts

I just tried products from Glare.com on my black stargazer RX350. The results were amazing. It is a very difficult product to use though. Anyone else here use their products?
Old 05-17-15, 04:59 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by charley95
I just tried products from Glare.com on my black stargazer RX350. The results were amazing. It is a very difficult product to use though. Anyone else here use their products?
Haven't ever heard of them... care to share more about what you used, what made it difficult, etc?
Old 05-19-15, 04:37 AM
charley95
Pole Position

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
Haven't ever heard of them... care to share more about what you used, what made it difficult, etc?
I have a friend who suggested it. He has the most critical eye of anyone I ever knew. He owns exotic cars and bikes. I used their 3 step process. Glare Spider polish,Micro polish & Pro polish.
I used it by hand and didn't get the results I wanted. He came over and brought his orbital and did it over for me. The results were amazing. I have never seen a black car look so good. No swirl marks rag marks… He did one side of the car for me and the next day I did the other with an orbital. Well I did it just like he showed me and didn't get the results he did. I couldn't get the minor scratches or swirl marks out.

I think it's an excellent product but very difficult for an amateur to use. He is going to help me figure out what technique I'm doing wrong in a few weeks. I have never used any kind of buffer and have always been afraid I might burn through the paint. He has used their product since 2006 and just ordered new bottles this year. A little bit goes a long way.

So I think for someone who knows how to use a buffer properly it's a product second to none. For an amateur like me I'm not satisfied right now. I'll have to wait for his help till I figure this product out.
Old 05-19-15, 04:52 AM
charley95
Pole Position

I bought the Winners Circle kit for $93.00 It is 4 - 12 ounce bottles of Knockout,Spider,Micro & Pro polish. Knockout is too aggressive for a new car but, apparently to be used on cars with neglected paint.
Old 05-19-15, 06:18 AM
jv6792
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I applied chemical guys blacklight to my black car and a white Caddy and topped them with Meguiars quik wax. Insane shine on the white car and far better depth on my black car. It just looks so black. Cant really explain it. Blacklight definitely lives up to its hype.

On a side note, my car had already been sealed with ultimate wax and blacklight brought a whole new depth to it.
Old 05-19-15, 05:09 PM
charley95
Pole Position

Any tips on how to properly use an orbital? I have a 7 inch Craftsman and use a microfiber bonnet . I usually apply some spray detailer to moisten the pad along with the product I'm applying. I think my problem is proper technique.
Old 05-19-15, 09:16 PM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...-polisher.html
Old 05-20-15, 04:38 AM
charley95
Pole Position

I haven't watched the videos yet but stating that a cheap orbital does not remove swirl marks is not true. I watched my friend use a cheap Craftsman orbital on my 2014 RX black stargazer. The results were flawless, no swirl,no spiderwebing and incredible depth to the paint. It's all technique which I'm waiting for him to show me.

Last edited by charley95; 05-20-15 at 04:39 AM. Reason: misspell
Old 05-20-15, 06:55 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by charley95
I haven't watched the videos yet but stating that a cheap orbital does not remove swirl marks is not true. I watched my friend use a cheap Craftsman orbital on my 2014 RX black stargazer. The results were flawless, no swirl,no spiderwebing and incredible depth to the paint. It's all technique which I'm waiting for him to show me.
Are you wanting to learn how to simply spread wax/sealant with an orbital or perform paint correction?

Your 7" craftsman polisher may be capable of improving the finish on your vehicle, but it will be nowhere near as effective as a more powerful machine with smaller 5.5" pads.

The Griot's Garage Machine can operate up to 6800 orbits per minute, while the Craftsman Machine tops out at 3800 opm. Working with smaller pads (5.5" and 3") allows for more force to be transferred to the paint, therefore doing more work in less time.

In just a couple of minutes, I was able to remove the majority of these defects from this badly swirled BMW trunk lid with my Rupes Polisher, Lake Country 5.5" Pads, and Menzerna Polish.

Working with a Dual Action polisher is quite easy as they are very safe to use... If you're in need of more serious correction, I would recommend upgrading to a better machine. If you just want to do a light polish and spread some sealant or wax, the 7" craftsman may be all you need.

-Zach
Old 05-20-15, 09:56 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I second that polishing is actually easier than you thought. I never polish before until Zach convinced me and I was able to transform a Camry that was in super bad shape to almost a brand new car status
Old 05-20-15, 11:38 AM
charley95
Pole Position

The paint doesn't really need corrected other than the swirl marks the dealer left on the car.
My friend that did the one side for me turned out flawless. I don't see where it needs to be improved. He is going to walk me through it in a few weeks so I can learn the way he did it.

I have never really used a buffer before and always did it by hand. Thanks for the advice!
Old 05-21-15, 09:16 AM
PondScum
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Also, GLARE®Plus + PROFESSIONAL POLISH creates a paint surface so smooth and slick that the Air-Drag Coefficient of your vehicle will be significantly reduced, actually making your vehicle more aerodynamic."

Legit products do not need to make such outlandish claims. I've not read hype like that on the sites of say, Car Pro, Optimum, 22PLE, Gtechniq, etc.
Old 05-21-15, 10:02 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by PondScum
"Also, GLARE®Plus + PROFESSIONAL POLISH creates a paint surface so smooth and slick that the Air-Drag Coefficient of your vehicle will be significantly reduced, actually making your vehicle more aerodynamic."

Legit products do not need to make such outlandish claims. I've not read hype like that on the sites of say, Car Pro, Optimum, 22PLE, Gtechniq, etc.
Lol man, that company assumes people are retarded or something. Slickness of the paint does little to nothing to air drag coefficient lol. it is the exterior body line and flow that determines that.

Quick Reply: Best Wax for Black car?