Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Has your detailing obsession ever lead to marital friction?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-15, 06:03 PM
PondScum
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Has your detailing obsession ever lead to marital friction?

So yesterday my wife tells me that my detailing obsession has lead to her not being able to enjoy driving her car (IS convertible) because she's so paranoid about preserving its immaculate appearance, and that she's uncomfortable telling her friends not to lean against her car, or not put their purses and bags on the hood or trunk.

Anyway, long story short, I think I have to compromise here if I ever want to have sex again (lol). Funny though, I've taught her how to spot swirls, and she points them out all the time on other cars, so I thought maybe I was converting her to the dark side...
Old 04-12-15, 06:29 PM
Red300
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what is b\the best product for cleaning and maintaining door, trunk, hood seals?
Old 04-12-15, 07:10 PM
jv6792
Rookie

Well she should know better than to have other ppl lean on her car. So she should trip on that. Now is it her car or yours? My girl takes care of her car (G35) cuz she sees how hard i work to keep it clean and finds it disrespectful towards me to treat it like trash.

It should never create friction between the two of you. If she wants to trash it, then let her trash it and and make sure that she never gets a luxury car again if that's the way shes gonna treat it.
Old 04-12-15, 07:57 PM
Jbreezie
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

One of the good things about being single haha My ex used to take her car to the swirl o matics too. I guess that's why it didn't work out! jk
Old 04-12-15, 08:03 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

if your girlfriend, wife or mistress can appreciate and respect a scratch and swirl free finish... then she is a keeper... IJS...
Old 04-13-15, 11:41 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by PondScum
So yesterday my wife tells me that my detailing obsession has lead to her not being able to enjoy driving her car (IS convertible) because she's so paranoid about preserving its immaculate appearance, and that she's uncomfortable telling her friends not to lean against her car, or not put their purses and bags on the hood or trunk.

Anyway, long story short, I think I have to compromise here if I ever want to have sex again (lol). Funny though, I've taught her how to spot swirls, and she points them out all the time on other cars, so I thought maybe I was converting her to the dark side...
hahaha, I thought I was alone until seeing this! Finally someone has spoken up!

I'm in a different scenario though. My wife takes good care of the car when she drives and she can drive a lowered car well without a single problem. She just hates me for spending too much time on detailing the cars.

Here are something my wife has said:
"Why are you spending so much money in these stupid detailing products and tell me you don't have money??" Because honestly I spent them all on the detailing products
"Do you have a date with your car today or you have time for me?" I need to make the car clean first before taking you out
"Why don't you marry your car and not me" I said you you you and only you
"Why don't you bring your car to bed and sleep with it" I said if the car fits the bed, why not
"Why don't you put your car in a museum so it doesn't get dirty again"

I also taught her a lot on how to examine the paint conditions. Now, when we are at the parking lot, she can easily point out a bunch of cars with swirls and scratches and call it bad car!

Ah, good news is, a lot of people see her car IS350 and gave her thumb up all the times on how clean, how shinny and how good looking the car is. I personally know many of her co-workers were shocked to find out that the IS350 is almost 9 years old

Last edited by FSportIS; 04-13-15 at 11:50 AM.
Old 04-14-15, 12:40 PM
vmichelle
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess I'm fortunate...my boyfriend and I go on "detailing dates" (originally my idea, but now he's gotten really into it).

The only issue is that he keeps using my microfibers to clean his truck... (which he off-roads :|) seems the pile of dirty truck cloths keeps getting bigger and bigger. He may not work to keep his paint in the same condition I do, but the truck serves a different purpose than my IS so it really doesn't matter.
Old 04-14-15, 12:44 PM
FiOSDave
Driver School Candidate

Talking Detailing Obsession

Originally Posted by PondScum

Does she use makeup?
Old 04-16-15, 11:20 AM
lsiberian
Driver School Candidate

Not yet. I use my detailing sessions as a way to get off my butt.
Old 04-17-15, 06:04 AM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by FSportIS
hahaha, I thought I was alone until seeing this! Finally someone has spoken up!

I'm in a different scenario though. My wife takes good care of the car when she drives and she can drive a lowered car well without a single problem. She just hates me for spending too much time on detailing the cars.

Here are something my wife has said:
"Why are you spending so much money in these stupid detailing products and tell me you don't have money??" Because honestly I spent them all on the detailing products
"Do you have a date with your car today or you have time for me?" I need to make the car clean first before taking you out
"Why don't you marry your car and not me" I said you you you and only you
"Why don't you bring your car to bed and sleep with it" I said if the car fits the bed, why not
"Why don't you put your car in a museum so it doesn't get dirty again"

I also taught her a lot on how to examine the paint conditions. Now, when we are at the parking lot, she can easily point out a bunch of cars with swirls and scratches and call it bad car!

Ah, good news is, a lot of people see her car IS350 and gave her thumb up all the times on how clean, how shinny and how good looking the car is. I personally know many of her co-workers were shocked to find out that the IS350 is almost 9 years old
Sounds very familiar to me -- similar situation. LOL
Old 04-18-15, 02:20 AM
eight
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

heh....man this got me laughing good.

...cause i'm going down this same road, im just at the start of it...looking at the signage telling me of the doom. i know my wife is getting a little snarled, as i've been growing an ego-bubble around the car. washing the car beginning of every week because i decided to take the car up to some mountain roads instead of our lets-get-em-dirty-suvs.
but she's down with it, she knows i love coupes and my touge roads (haven't found many narrow 1 lane with no divider line with pavement). just keep things in tone, no need to focus to much on the car. if she says you are...you might be, but you got ammo. she shouldn't feel bad for telling somebody to get the heck off the car, it's not a damn wall....or a table. if she has a nice car with good paint and likes that, then be mindful about it. nothing wrong with that.
i personally don't care about the paint swirls n scratches....for now. when/if i get new paint i'm gonna be a troll living under my car, ready to rip stray fingernails. at that point i may be single heh.
but really, easy off the car a bit and go build the wife something. gives more time for the conversion to the dark side
Old 04-18-15, 08:44 AM
GlenK
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My obsession over my NX has caused a few comments, like carmance!!! She likes that better the bromance...

I get out of trouble on the detailing by doing her ATS..
Old 05-03-15, 08:45 AM
IneednSC
Driver

I may be an *** but i see it like this you know where i am, what i am doing , and where to find me... im here waxing my car and not some other girls butt! Some women need to pick there complaints better ijs
Old 06-22-15, 08:14 AM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by IneednSC
I may be an *** but i see it like this you know where i am, what i am doing , and where to find me... im here waxing my car and not some other girls butt! Some women need to pick there complaints better ijs
+1, I'm 35 and single. If a woman wants to get into my Kingdom, she will have to put up with my car hobby.

It is that simple.

P.S: and sorry for her luck, but she won't be driving my ISF.
Old 06-22-15, 04:04 PM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm sure she wouldn't want to drive a car that traps below 120mph.

Quick Reply: Has your detailing obsession ever lead to marital friction?