Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Any Issues Using a coating product along with Film Protection?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-15, 02:59 PM
99alta
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Any Issues Using a coating product along with Film Protection?

The first thing I did with my new GS350 was to have Xpel Ultimate applied to the car to protect it from our terrible winters and the crud it brings with it.
Basically had a full install, full hood, full front bumper, A pillars, front roof up to sun roof, rocker panels, door handle cups, rear cargo sill, mirrors.

That still leaves the doors etc. unprotected. Sooo I was thinking of applying a coating to the rest of the car.(Opticoat).

- Does anyone think this is NOT a good idea? If not why?
- What happens if you get the coating on the film in some areas?
- Will the car look OK with Xpel Film and Opticoat together ?
- Any issues with a small amount of coating overlapping the film?
- Any other concerns or issues you can think of?

Obviously it would have been better to apply the coating first and then film, but I didn't know about these new coatings when I had the film installed.

TIA
Old 04-04-15, 08:54 AM
VTsuckah
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've got similar clear bra coverage. You should give your installer a call and see their opinion.

My guess is that you shouldn't have opticoat on top of the film. The coating is more brittle than the film, so you defeat the purpose of the film in that you may see rock marks in the sealent. Clear bra films have more elasticity.

If it were me, just use painter's tape to cover the edges of the film, then apply opticoat to the areas without film. This is the process I use when I detail my is350. Also, you can use any non abrasive wax/paint sealant on top of your clear bra to guard against yellowing.
Old 04-04-15, 10:55 AM
99alta
Intermediate

Originally Posted by VTsuckah
I've got similar clear bra coverage. You should give your installer a call and see their opinion.

My guess is that you shouldn't have opticoat on top of the film. The coating is more brittle than the film, so you defeat the purpose of the film in that you may see rock marks in the sealent. Clear bra films have more elasticity.

If it were me, just use painter's tape to cover the edges of the film, then apply opticoat to the areas without film. This is the process I use when I detail my is350. Also, you can use any non abrasive wax/paint sealant on top of your clear bra to guard against yellowing.
Thanks for the reply VTsuckah.

Should have been clearer, I don't plan on putting the coating on the PFP. My installer sold me a product for protecting the ppf called "Pro Skin" for that.

But I do like the idea of installing a coating on the unprotected areas of the vehicle before it gets many scratches on it.
Masking off the edge of the PPF sounds like a good idea, however one of my concerns is the transition from the coating to the PPF. Will it leave a visible edge? Will the coating peel off from the PPF edge? And what happens to the PPF if the coating comes in contact with the PPF?

I'm thinking of going with the Carpro products and following is what I'm going to order, anything missing?
Please note I don't have any polish,wax or anything to take care of the coating in my basket yet and don't want to miss anything as everything is being ordered online.

CarPro CQuartz DLUX Plastic and Wheel kit (30ml)
CarPro FlyBy30 Windshield & Glass Coating Full Kit (20ml)
CarPro PERL Coat Plastic & Rubber Protectant (2oz)
CarPro CQuartz Paint Protection Kit (50ml)
The Cookie Monster Buffing Towel V2.0
The Dehydrator Drying Towel V2.0
Riccardo Yellow Detailing Clay (Medium) (8oz)
Riccardo Clay Starter Kit - Blue (Mild) (8oz)
LeatherMasters kit for the Leather
Meguiar's Quik Interior detailer for the Vinyl

One more question should I treat the windshield and front windows of a new Lexus with the glass coating right away, or let the factory coating come off first? My understanding is they are already coated from the factory and it's seems obvious that is true when it rains.

TIA
Old 04-04-15, 02:21 PM
popping
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

From what I've read and what was recommended by my detailer, you paint correct, ppf then ppc the car.

I'd recommend cquartz finest for dark cars. Made my car very glossy. I did 2-3 step paint correction, full front suntek film and cq finest. I made a thread about it recently
Old 04-06-15, 10:37 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

I used to have Opticoat on top of 3M clear bar! I got the thickness rock chip protection from the 3M and crazy water beading/sheeting easy to wash property from the coating. Not only that, you add even MORE UV protection to the film too!This is win/win!

I recently replaced Opticoat with Cquartz UK on the very same car. The water beads/sheets even more!

The KEY is paint coating on TOP of the clear bra and NOT the other way around because coating repels everything and can create issue of the clear bra bonding to it. Plus you want water beading/sheeting and UV protection on top of the film.
Old 04-06-15, 02:06 PM
jowsleyyy
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I did Xpel Ultimate on my front end, and is in the process of CQuartz-ing the other areas that I did not get the film put on.

I put Hydro2 on top of the Xpel film to help the film create a hydrophobic surface.
Old 04-06-15, 04:49 PM
popping
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jowsleyyy
I did Xpel Ultimate on my front end, and is in the process of CQuartz-ing the other areas that I did not get the film put on.

I put Hydro2 on top of the Xpel film to help the film create a hydrophobic surface.
Why not just cquartz the xpel areas too?
Old 04-06-15, 04:56 PM
jowsleyyy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by popping
Why not just cquartz the xpel areas too?
Like on top of it? If on top, I was not sure if it would void the Xpel 10 year warranty or not. I think Xpel has enough protections already
Old 04-06-15, 05:17 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

I have 5 years 3M warranty and applying wax and sealant and even coating does not void the warranty. In fact, they even recommend it lol because that even gives the film more uv protection plus the beading/sheeting property too.
Old 04-07-15, 09:58 AM
popping
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jowsleyyy
Like on top of it? If on top, I was not sure if it would void the Xpel 10 year warranty or not. I think Xpel has enough protections already
Yes on top. It does not void the warranty. It's preferred to have the coating on top of the film.
Old 04-07-15, 12:54 PM
VTsuckah
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Polymer sealants are fine, but a hard ceramic coating? You may want to double check whether or not a ceramic coating voids the warranty.
Old 04-07-15, 07:47 PM
popping
Lead Lap

I highly doubt these high end detailers would be doing this if it voided the warranty.

Here's further support.

https://www.xpel.com/support/installation/faq.asp

Last edited by popping; 04-07-15 at 07:47 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 04-07-15, 10:26 PM
jowsleyyy
Intermediate

I highly doubt these high end detailers would be doing this if it voided the warranty.

Here's further support.

I just may well do the rest of my car now
Old 04-09-15, 01:53 PM
99alta
Intermediate

Here's further support.

Great post!
When I was looking at Xpel Ultimate install their site said NOT to put any sealants on the film. Looks like that has changed so that's great news, I'll do the whole car now!