Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Orbital for a newb?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-15, 10:02 AM
darylrsv4
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Orbital for a newb?

Long story short, washed my GS yesterday morning and while drying noticed a couple 2-3" scratches on the bottom of the drivers door. I about pissed myself. Was able to rub a majority out by hand with Meg's cleaner wax. Pretty sure it happened at work as I'm extremely OCD where I park. I'll be checking cameras tomorrow.

Anyhow, upon contacting a couple local detailers they want to wash ,polish etc. I don't need that, my car is hand washed every Saturday morning. I just need someone with skills and 10-15 mins of their time. QD the door and buff out the scratches, they're not interested in that. I have never owned an orbital but for what they want to charge it makes sense to just buy one .

I'm looking at the Torq. What are your guys opinions for a first time orbital? I hear good things also about the GG. I have an arsenal of detail products but never owned a polisher so it's new territory as far as pads needed and recommended must have products to go along with the polisher.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Last edited by darylrsv4; 03-01-15 at 03:36 PM.
Old 03-01-15, 08:18 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

My advice for most DIYers is to go with something like the Griot's Garage DA machine and a small selection of pads. The GG machine has a lifetime manufacturer warranty, so should anything ever happen to it, you'll get a replacement... it's a great deal!

Here is a general starter kit that I recommend to many people because it is similar to what I started with, and it is a great package that can handle most any situation. Aside from using a DA machine for correction/polishing work, it also makes applying sealants and waxes simple. You can apply a sealant to your vehicle in no time with a machine!

Griot's Garage Dual Action Polisher
5" Backing Plate
3" Backing Plate
Lake Country Orange Light Cutting Pad (5.5" x2, 3" x2)
Lake Country While Polishing Pad (5.5" x2, 3" x2)
Lake Country Black Finishing Pad (5.5" x2, 3" x2)
Meguiar's M100 Cutting Compound
Meguiar's M205 Finishing Polish

These supplies are very versatile, and you'll be able to do anything from paint correction/swirl removal, to general gloss enhancing polishing, to spreading sealant, etc. All products are easy to work with, and dual action polishers are beginner friendly.

-Zach
Old 03-01-15, 09:31 PM
darylrsv4
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Was hoping you would chime in Zach, much appreciated.

Why the M100 over the 105?
Old 03-02-15, 04:11 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by darylrsv4
Was hoping you would chime in Zach, much appreciated. Why the M100 over the 105?
M100 is a much more user friendly product. M100, M101, and M105 are all fantastic, however M105 can be finicky to use and M101 is too expensive for a lot of DIYers, so I tend to recommend the M100.

I will PM you some more info later this morning when I have some more time.

-Zach
Old 03-02-15, 09:32 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hell yeah, welcome to polish yourself for the very first time.

Guess what! I have done it few weeks ago and transformed a Camry that has never been washed nor detailed in 13 years into like new condition. That car is a beat up with water spot etching, heavy oxidation and even clear coat failure and yes, it turns out new and.... that was my very 1st time machine polishing.

I recommend a GG with 25 feet long cord, at least 4 5.5inch orange light cutting pads, 4 5.5 inch white polishing pads, 2 3inch orange pads, 2 3 inch white pads together with 1 5inch backing plate, 1 3 inch backing plate, and counter weight for 5 inch backing plate (to reduce vibration). I go with Meg M100 compound and M205 polish combo which works damn well on Toyota paint. Get this whole package from Zach like I did and you will be golden.

When you ever do it for the very first time, from my experience, there are couple tips:
1. Move your hand VERY VERY SLOWLY to work the compound/polish.
2. Work in small area about 2 x 2 once at a time.
3. Test, test, test on a small section with the least aggressive combo first and adjust accordingly BEFORE you do the whole car.
4. Wipe off the residue immediately right after each section.
5. Make sure the orbiter is ROTATING by marking the backing plate with a permanent marker.
6. Apply CONSTANT pressure (from start till the end) assuming you are using Meg100/205 combo. This seems to work best for me.
7. PRIME your pads with product in initial use by spreading it around with your finger.
8. For each section, use 3-4 pea sized drop of product. Yes, that is enough for almost a 2x2 section.
Old 03-02-15, 10:07 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 194 Likes on 138 Posts

I just got the griots with the 25 foot cord, and a bunch of pads, im just wondering why you guys are recommending the 5 inch backing plate instead of using the 6 inch one it comes with ?
Old 03-02-15, 10:10 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

less area means more effective polishing.
Old 03-03-15, 04:55 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1
I just got the griots with the 25 foot cord, and a bunch of pads, im just wondering why you guys are recommending the 5 inch backing plate instead of using the 6 inch one it comes with ?
As Kevin eluded to, smaller pads equal less surface area... the smaller the surface area, the greater the force is for a given pressure meaning if you apply the same pressure to a 6.5" pad, 5.5" pad. and 3" pad the 3" pad will generate MUCH more force at the face of the pad due to the smaller surface area. This is why 3" pads are often chosen for spot correcting deeper scratches.

The Griot's Machine is fairly powerful, but through experience I have found that 5.5" pads are much more effective and practical to use on most modern vehicles to achieve good correction. The machine cannot generate as much speed with the larger pads, and therefore does not transfer as much rotational force to the paint.

If you're just doing some light polishing, the 6.5" pads will be fine on large, flat surfaces... however if you need to do more heavy or moderate correction... or you're working on more complex panels, I think you'll find the 5.5" pads to be much more effective and easier to work with.

-Zach
Old 03-03-15, 10:00 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Zach is right on a lot of points. In addition to those, the smaller the pads is, the more flexibility and agility you have especially in tighter area.

Beside, I don't think 2 pads each color is enough. The pads will become so clogged up/dirty (even cleaning it often) and polishing become not so effective. I have done it the first time and I find that at least you need 4 (preferably 6) each color particularly white polishing pads where you will use this the most for light polishing.

Clean pads are very important from my experience.
Old 03-03-15, 02:21 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 194 Likes on 138 Posts

thanks a lot guys, makes sense.

I already have the 3 inch adapter plate so next ill try the 5 inch.

Thanks
Old 03-03-15, 09:58 PM
tea
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

how does the Griot Garage polisher compare to the Harbor Freights polisher?
Old 03-04-15, 09:38 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by tea
how does the Griot Garage polisher compare to the Harbor Freights polisher?
Griot Garage polisher is more powerful, more effective and offer lifetime warranty.

GG:7-amp, 850-watt motor
Harbor Freights: 5.7 amp, 680-watt motor

GG: 5/16" diameter offset, and low-end torque
Harbor Freights: Don't know

GG: molded hand and finger grips to the housing, along with a domed, rubberized palm grip.
Harbor Freight: Two position side handle

GG: extra-long 25 feet (16-AWG) power cord option
Harbor Freight: None

GG: Lifetime warranty
Harbor Freight: 90 days warranty
Old 03-04-15, 05:49 PM
tea
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by FSportIS
Griot Garage polisher is more powerful, more effective and offer lifetime warranty.

GG:7-amp, 850-watt motor
Harbor Freights: 5.7 amp, 680-watt motor

GG: 5/16" diameter offset, and low-end torque
Harbor Freights: Don't know

GG: molded hand and finger grips to the housing, along with a domed, rubberized palm grip.
Harbor Freight: Two position side handle

GG: extra-long 25 feet (16-AWG) power cord option
Harbor Freight: None

GG: Lifetime warranty
Harbor Freight: 90 days warranty
thanks for the response! yea i figured the GG one will be more powerful, but is the Harbor Freights one good enough for a not so serious detailer?
Old 03-04-15, 06:02 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by tea
thanks for the response! yea i figured the GG one will be more powerful, but is the Harbor Freights one good enough for a not so serious detailer?
For a DIYer, since you only need one polisher, I would do it once and do it right so GG gets my vote. I heard that this machine is also used by many professional detailers too and it can do serious paint correction.

In fact, I just started out like you too. I just finished my very 1st polishing project ever. Also, if you get the GG, even if it breaks down, you can just replace it under warranty. If the cheaper one breaks, you will have to buy it again and that ends up costing you more.
Old 03-04-15, 06:30 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

I've used the GG it a great starter kit. But now I have the Rupes 21 and it a great tool. So my GG I use it with a 3inch pad now to get some of the smaller areas.

Quick Reply: Orbital for a newb?