Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Foam Cannon for Every Wash?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-15, 10:44 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 567 Likes on 389 Posts
Default Foam Cannon for Every Wash?

Just wondering out loud I've been using a foam cannon for the last 9-10 washes and was wondering if there were any issues with that? Been switching between the CG Honey Dew Snow Foam and Mr. Pink Super Suds. I was originally hoping I could use it and go completely touch free with my washes, but there was usually some road grime leftover that bothered me so I'm also doing the two bucket with ONR after a foam presoak.

Thanks!

Allen
Old 02-24-15, 10:59 AM
DaSyce
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I think the only concern would be the wear on your LSP. As long as your finish wax / sealant is still working there is no harm.
Old 02-24-15, 11:57 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

The purpose of a foam presoak is to help breakdown dirt and grime on the surface prior to touching (washing) the paint... it certainly will not remove all of the dirt. This additional step prior to washing is certainly not required, but it can be helpful if your vehicle is dirtier than normal or if you just want to have some fun with a foam lance.

How to Implement a Foam Lance into your Wash Routine by Zach McGovern

As far as using it for every wash... I personally consider that overkill. I am usually time limited when I wash my cars, therefore I want as few of steps as possible... and for general dirt accumulation during non-winter months, the standard 3 bucket wash system is just fine.

-Zach
Old 02-24-15, 11:58 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have been using foam cannon very often too to pre-soak the panel to loosen all the dirt/dust/grime. I rinse it next and follow up with a 2 bucket wash. It is a good thing to prevent swirl. It doesn't affect my Opticoat 2.0 nor Carpro Reload at all because these two LSP offer very strong chemical resistant.
Old 02-24-15, 12:24 PM
lilSCsteve

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Zach is spot on with his statement. I'll use the foam cannon on vehicles (1st time detailing) in order to loosen up as much grime as possible. This gives me the ability to see which steps of the detailing process I need to use with a new client vehicle. Afterwards I use the 3 bucket w/ grit guard for regular washes. This along with a good paint seal, usually works best for me.
Old 02-25-15, 06:54 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 567 Likes on 389 Posts

Forgot to respond to this thread, but thanks for the responses! The foam has been really helpful with the winter salt, but I can see how it's a bit overkill in the warmer months. I do like playing with the foam though so I'm 50/50 on how often to use it
Old 02-25-15, 07:24 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by Allen K
Forgot to respond to this thread, but thanks for the responses! The foam has been really helpful with the winter salt, but I can see how it's a bit overkill in the warmer months. I do like playing with the foam though so I'm 50/50 on how often to use it
FOAM ****!

Old 02-25-15, 07:29 PM
Jbreezie
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Don't try this at home!

Old 02-25-15, 07:32 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 62 Likes on 60 Posts

I foam gun with every wash then rinse . then continue with 2 bucket method. just playing it safe
Old 02-25-15, 08:50 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Zach, so many car brands and model with foam **** but no foam **** with Lexus on Clublexus and you are mod on Clublexus. Shame on you! Jokking! very nice foam. Which foam cannon did you use?
Old 02-25-15, 09:54 PM
Jbreezie
Lexus Test Driver

That GTR!!!

I wonder if this is okay for DIY

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...lkexoCp_bw_wcB
Old 02-26-15, 05:47 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by FSportIS
Zach, so many car brands and model with foam **** but no foam **** with Lexus on Clublexus and you are mod on Clublexus. Shame on you! Jokking! very nice foam. Which foam cannon did you use?

Here you go

Originally Posted by Glock47
That GTR!!!

I wonder if this is okay for DIY

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...lkexoCp_bw_wcB
The Foamaster II Foam Gun is OK... it attaches directly to your garden hose instead of a pressure washer. It does not produce thick suds that cling to the surface though... it simply makes some soapy water. Here are some examples of the Foam Gun (note: foam lance or foam canon is the tool that attaches to the pressure washer, foam gun is the tool that attaches to a hose)

I use the foam gun sometimes as a quick way to rinse the car down after correction to remove dust that has settled on the car during the correction process.

-Zach
Old 02-26-15, 03:54 PM
Jbreezie
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the info!
Old 02-26-15, 04:11 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 62 Likes on 60 Posts

that my Foam gun works like in the above pics. definitely need the cannon eventually for all those suds
Old 02-26-15, 04:20 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

The not so pretty suds and the cutie foam differ a lot in beauty but function and clean similarly since they are from the same shampoo. Substance over form like accountants keep saying

Quick Reply: Foam Cannon for Every Wash?