Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Everything You Need to Know About Paint Coatings!

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-15, 12:24 PM
Greg@DI
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Everything You Need to Know About Paint Coatings!

Photo by Zach McGovern of Attention To Detailing Peoria.

Coatings have been becoming extremely popular the past couple of years. Detailers and weekend warriors have been switching over from waxes and sealants to see what all the buzz is about and from we can see, coatings are here to stay! The look may be different than what you expect to see from a wax or sealant, however there is something about seeing your car in what looks like a coat of glass that just really stands out. Each year new versions come out and coatings just seem to be getting better and better.

If you are looking for the deepest, wettest look out there, we here at Detailed Image would highly recommend checking out a coating (i.e. 22ple, Gtechniq, CarPro, etc.). These semi-permanent coatings take more effort and time to apply, but the results are well worth it. They will provide an amazing level of gloss and shine, while protecting your paint for up to 24 months! Like mentioned above, your car looks like it has been coated entirely in glass! Better yet, you can top these coatings (i.e. 22ple VS1 Final Coat, CarPro Reload Spray Sealant, etc.) to add more depth, gloss, and protection to the paint!

As the popularity of coatings grow our Ask-a-Pro detailers have been hard at work testing and using these coatings in their detailing routines. Below are some great articles they have written to help guide you through the process of applying and taking care of a coating:We also have some other great product reviews and detailing articles that contain popular coating products. Take a look at these below:We hope this coating information is helpful and if you ever have any questions regarding coatings or any other products, please do not hesitate to contact us!

Greg @ DI

Last edited by zmcgovern4; 03-13-15 at 05:16 AM.
Old 02-20-15, 08:36 PM
Jbreezie
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Should be in the sticky!
Old 03-13-15, 12:21 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

So what are paint coatings? How do you clean them off if you want to?
Old 03-13-15, 03:50 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by dicer
So what are paint coatings? How do you clean them off if you want to?
Coatings are the latest advancement in paint protection (there are also coatings for wheels, glass, plastic, leather, fabric, and vinyl!). They provide a more durable form of protection compared to traditional sealants and waxes. They are easily maintained with routine washing, and do not require you to wax the vehicle for years.

There are many articles posted above that will answer all of your questions...... especially these two

The Benefits of a Paint Coating - Zach McGovern
Maintaining Your Paint Coating - Zach McGovern

Last edited by zmcgovern4; 03-13-15 at 05:17 AM.
Old 03-13-15, 06:07 AM
GlenK
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

This is a great thread. My dealer used Zurich Shield on my new NX and I've been wondering about maintenance. The article says use shampoo of CarPro Reset. Would this be the best for a Zurich Shield finish?

Also it basically states wax is optional but CarPro Hydr02 and Reload would be best for coatings.
Do you suggest either one specifically for ZS? It looks so good now when it's just washed that I wonder if/when I should put anything else on it.

Really appreciate all this information!!

Also had Zurich Shield applied to interior as well. I know there are a number of these products but this one does seem to work very well.
Old 03-13-15, 06:22 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by GlenK
This is a great thread. My dealer used Zurich Shield on my new NX and I've been wondering about maintenance. The article says use shampoo of CarPro Reset. Would this be the best for a Zurich Shield finish?

Also it basically states wax is optional but CarPro Hydr02 and Reload would be best for coatings.
Do you suggest either one specifically for ZS? It looks so good now when it's just washed that I wonder if/when I should put anything else on it.

Really appreciate all this information!!

Also had Zurich Shield applied to interior as well. I know there are a number of these products but this one does seem to work very well.
While I do not know too much about your particular product, I do know that it is a 'typical' dealership pushed product that most people pay quite a bit of money for. Hopefully your dealership took the time to do the proper (and very time consuming) prep work prior to applying the product to your vehicle.

The maintenance that I had outlined in my article was specifically for ceramic paint coatings, which it appears is not what the Zurich Shield product is, therefore the Reset shampoo may not be the best choice for you. I would stick to a traditional automotive shampoo like Optimum Car Wash.

-Zach
Old 03-13-15, 06:34 AM
GlenK
Pit Crew

Well it took them most of the day to do it so hopefully it was applied properly. It looks and feels awesome.
What about wax, would you recommend anything specific?
Old 03-13-15, 06:56 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Well it took them most of the day to do it so hopefully it was applied properly. It looks and feels awesome.
What about wax, would you recommend anything specific?
If the product provides the protection that it claims, you shouldn't need to wax the vehicle at all.

After washing, you may wish to wipe the vehicle down with a quick detailer that can add some gloss and protection. Here are some good options.

Menzerna Endless Shine
Meguiar's Last Touch
Blackfire Wet Diamond Polymer Spray
Meguiar's Synthetic X-Press Spray Wax D156
CarPro Reload Spray Sealant

-Zach
Old 03-13-15, 07:01 AM
GlenK
Pit Crew

Great and thanks for the information!!! Appreciate the time you take to help us out!!
Old 03-13-15, 07:13 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Great and thanks for the information!!! Appreciate the time you take to help us out!!
Happy to help
Old 03-13-15, 09:57 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The more you bother these guys with detailing questions, the happier they are They are born that way. Jokking!!!! Happy Friday and bump this thread up for all to learn about paint coating.
Old 03-15-15, 06:30 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

So then is this stuff more of a clear coat type paint?
Old 03-15-15, 07:06 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by dicer
So then is this stuff more of a clear coat type paint?
It is not a paint, but for simplicity sake, you might consider it "like" an additional (very thin) clear coat.

Paint coatings provide durable protection for the clear coat. They serve the same functional purpose as a wax or sealant, but they offer a much better layer of protection. They are a great choice for those who want the ultimate protection and ease of maintenance. There is no need to wax your vehicle when a paint coating has been properly applied.

Let me know if you've got any questions.

-Zach
Old 03-16-15, 05:02 AM
CdeFabio
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Glock47
Should be in the sticky!
I second this, mods, can you move this thread to sticky so that it does not get lost? There is a lot of good information here!! It would be much appreciated!
Old 03-16-15, 05:09 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by CdeFabio
I second this, mods, can you move this thread to sticky so that it does not get lost? There is a lot of good information here!! It would be much appreciated!
I am going to update our stickies in the future... I will be working on one master "Detailing Guide" that will contain massive amounts of information, links to products, links to helpful articles, and links to applicable threads.

I will stick this for now due to the few requests I have received, but will likely remove it later as this information will be consolidated into the detailing guide.

-Zach

Quick Reply: Everything You Need to Know About Paint Coatings!