Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Everything You Need to Know About Paint Coatings!

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-17, 02:13 PM
2Insane
Driver

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

Looked over this thread and I'm curious what would it cost to do the entire RCF, including the windshield and rims? Also, what is the typical turnaround time?
Old 05-30-17, 06:39 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by 2Insane
Looked over this thread and I'm curious what would it cost to do the entire RCF, including the windshield and rims? Also, what is the typical turnaround time?
This depends greatly on the current condition of the vehicle, how much paint correction work is required, which coating you're interested in, etc.

I would reach out to a reputable high end detailer in your area ( i may be able to recommend someone if you do not know of any) and set up a consultation to get a personal estimate done.
The following users liked this post:
2Insane (06-02-17)
Old 06-02-17, 08:27 AM
2Insane
Driver

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

There are 2 shops that I have in mind. In NY there are so many places that are not ethical and would easily rip people off. Was curious to have a general idea of cost. I'll get a couple estimates. Thanks.
Old 06-02-17, 02:11 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by 2Insane
There are 2 shops that I have in mind. In NY there are so many places that are not ethical and would easily rip people off. Was curious to have a general idea of cost. I'll get a couple estimates. Thanks.
If it isn't too far out of your way, you could visit forum sponsor, and VERY well know and reputable detailers at Detailers Domain in NJ.
Old 06-08-17, 03:26 PM
vital
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Is the IS250 2014 Nebula grey considered soft paint?
Old 06-08-17, 06:17 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by vital
Is the IS250 2014 Nebula grey considered soft paint?
I would not consider that paint to be soft in my experience.

For Lexus, Obsidian Black is the real difficult color to live with. Most others are quite manageable in terms of maintaining them without issue and also correcting them relatively easily as needed.

My mercury metallic is quite hard actually.
Old 10-22-17, 05:13 PM
Magellan55

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

So no mention of wrapping cars yet on the thread - is that a totally different subject? I see more and more cars getting wrapped now, especially high end ones, and usually right after taking delivery. Was wondering what the advantages/disadvantages of a wrap are over these coatings.
Old 10-22-17, 06:34 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by Magellan55
So no mention of wrapping cars yet on the thread - is that a totally different subject? I see more and more cars getting wrapped now, especially high end ones, and usually right after taking delivery. Was wondering what the advantages/disadvantages of a wrap are over these coatings.
It's a completely different subject. Are you referring to PPF (paint protection film) or vinyl wrap to change the color of the car?
Old 10-24-17, 06:51 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by Magellan55
The topic of PPF vs. Nano Coatings has been had before on the forum... not sure which threads.

They are two completely different products with different purposes and much different price points.

Nano coatings provide protection from the elements. There is no protection against abrasion or impact.

Paint protection film will provide protection against the elements, abrasion, and impacts. It is considerably thicker, considerably more durable, and considerably more expensive.

If you want to hit the car with the best of both worlds, many people are wrapping the entire car in paint protection film and then having a nano coating applied on top of the film.
Old 10-25-17, 06:20 PM
Magellan55

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

It was PPF. Just not familiar with it - saw it first on the nose of some cars, and now apparently people get their whole car wrapped. Was watching a YouTube video of a shop in Fremont that does a ton of Teslas. Made me wonder why.
Old 10-25-17, 07:46 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Yeah, Joseph Torbati is the Tesla King... they made a name for themselves with nano coatings on Teslas at first, but with the growing popularity of PPF, it is becoming a welcome pairing of products for new car owners.
Old 01-31-18, 04:01 AM
carexpert
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Reply

thanks for sharing Nice post
Old 08-12-19, 10:46 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Hi I a 2005 sc430 PB I bought it new have always waxed with zymol. I wanted to look into coatings I was recommended by auto detail place to use g technique coating
My car has 8000 miles is always garaged and i bought it new. The detail place wants $ 1000,00 to paint correction and 1 coat of g technique. He said its a 4 part process
that they bake on with uv light . He seemed knowledgeable but i have nothing to go on. . He said you can do 2 coats but that raises the price to 1500.00. My question is am i being taken over in price. Is his product he is using the right thing for me my car color is diamond balck [ metal flakes in it factory color on a 2005 PB model

Would appreciate your input

Buddy
Old 08-14-19, 03:36 PM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 530 Likes on 386 Posts

Have you considered doing this yourself? You'd save a lot of $$. I'd recommend Car Craft Auto Detailing on YouTube, he's by far one of the best on there.
Old 07-15-20, 06:26 AM
72gs455
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
I am going to update our stickies in the future... I will be working on one master "Detailing Guide" that will contain massive amounts of information, links to products, links to helpful articles, and links to applicable threads.

I will stick this for now due to the few requests I have received, but will likely remove it later as this information will be consolidated into the detailing guide.

-Zach
Hi Zach,
Did you create the master detailing guide? Is there a link?
I am looking for basic starting points, like starting with washing and removal of contaminants before clay bar. etc...
A to Z.
Jerry

Quick Reply: Everything You Need to Know About Paint Coatings!