Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

What kind of non slinging tire shine to use?

Old 03-02-15, 07:17 PM
Jbreezie
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Can't wait to try this stuff!

Originally Posted by FSportIS
Haha, we have a very similar path lol. I used to like silicon based Meg Endurance Gel. Until I tried Tuf Tire Shine Coating (water based), I see many benefits of water based product. Also, Tuf Tire Shine lasts the longest (i believe it is permanently bond to the tire) comparing to many other products out there. I'm using Tuf Tire Shine exclusively for now. I have also tried OptiBond, Blackfire Tire Gel, they seem good but last only few weeks in rainy CA weather. Tuf Tire Shine, on the other hand, lasts months and still going strong in harsh CA sunny and rainy weather.
Old 03-06-15, 10:33 AM
1111GS

Received 89 Likes on 77 Posts

I too have tried quite a few different ones. Thus far, I like Auto Finesse Tyre Gel and Optimum Opti-Bond. They give a right amount of wet shine, not too shiny like some others. Here is a picture of Opti-Bond. I use an applicator to apply and usually just let the car sit until it dries.

Last edited by 1111GS; 05-22-21 at 10:08 AM.
Old 03-07-15, 05:34 AM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
^very important! great advice.

I always advise apply tire shine as thin as possible and adding multiple coats if needed. In any event, wait at least 30 minutes before driving, and always lightly wipe each tire to remove any excess product prior to driving. Regardless of if it is a water based dressing or silicone based dressing, if there is excess product on the face, it will sling.

I have since stopped using any silicone based tire dressings as I have found CarPro PERL to have a similar level of shine, but the water based formula is much nicer for many reasons.

-Zach
I've used various off the shelf products with the last ones being Wipe New for tires and Tuff Shine. Was not impressed by them with the only exception being Meguiars Endurance gel but it never did last long. After reading this thread I ordered CarPro PERL because I favor the glossy shine instead of the subtle shine. It's still cold with lots of snow on the ground in my area so I'l wait it out before I try this product.
Old 03-07-15, 12:24 PM
jv6792
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MrG4Life
I've used various off the shelf products with the last ones being Wipe New for tires and Tuff Shine. Was not impressed by them with the only exception being Meguiars Endurance gel but it never did last long. After reading this thread I ordered CarPro PERL because I favor the glossy shine instead of the subtle shine. It's still cold with lots of snow on the ground in my area so I'l wait it out before I try this product.
let us know how it turns out.. i too prefer the super wet look and can only achieve that with aerosols like megs nxt insane. it make ur tires look wet for about a day. i prefer gels for the longevity, like armor all gel and titanium but they attract way to much dust. im thinking of coating them with turtle wax jet black. reviews look pretty solid even though it is indeed a turtle wax product. one way to find out i guess.