Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

wax on plastic... help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-14, 06:55 PM
96SC4
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default wax on plastic... help!

got my car "detailed" by a recommended guy... boy, that was a mistake.

When i dropped it off, the detailer had his "helper" there that day to help out....

long story short, i can only assume his "helper" did the final wax on my car. Because it not only has wax in every damn crevice on the car, it's on every rubber and plastic piece too!

the crevices are easy, not worried about that.

but how do i get wax off plastic??? i thought everybody knew to avoid plastic when waxing...
obviously not this "helper"

live and learn.

thanks in advance everybody
Old 07-26-14, 07:33 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Try 3M General Purpose Adhesive Remover.

Should do the trick, but might require a bit of rubbing.

Might work and remove it completely, might only improve it slightly, you don't know until you try, but this stuff is ALOT better than using rubbing alcohol or some all purpose cleaner.
Old 07-27-14, 06:26 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

I use APC and a tooth brush for cleaning dried wax on exterior grained vinyl/plastic trim. I use an old MF towel and APC for smooth plastic and rubber trim. I wipe down the cleaned areas with a wrung out MF towel to be sure to remove any traces of APC once the trim is clean.

I protect exterior vinyl/plastic trim with Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Wax, a.k.a. D156 Synthetic X-press Spray Wax in their Detailer product line, or Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid Wax on this type of exterior trim as it doesn't stain or dry white and honestly works better than most dedicated vinyl and trim dressings. The reason this stuff works so well is that it is not really wax but a synthetic sealant, doesn't dry white and it offers durable long lasting protection with a nice satin sheen. It also doesn't run down the sides of your paint in the rain like so many vinyl protectants do.

When I run across a car that has dried wax in the cracks and crevices I use an old pink eraser to remove it. You can cut the rubber eraser with a razor blade to fit into even the smallest crevices and it works like a charm.

Last edited by jfelbab; 07-27-14 at 06:31 AM.
Old 07-27-14, 11:59 AM
96SC4
Lexus Champion

^^^^Thank you both!!
i will be tackling this project this week... great tips!

now, i just need to find a detailer that makes my car look better, not worse.
Old 07-28-14, 07:06 AM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

I would be tempted to have the detailer remove it since it is his responsibility, but I could understand you not wanting to trust him any further.
Old 07-28-14, 07:23 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by 96SC4
^^^^Thank you both!!
i will be tackling this project this week... great tips!

now, i just need to find a detailer that makes my car look better, not worse.
IMHO, no quality detailer would ever deliver a vehicle with wax in the crevices and on the trim. This is a dead giveaway as to his qualifications, personal standards and abilities. Even if he personally didn't do the work, it is his responsibility to insure quality at his shop.
Old 07-28-14, 12:25 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by 96SC4
^now, i just need to find a detailer that makes my car look better, not worse.
Where exactly are you located?

I know many premium professionals throughout the US and may be able to recommend someone to you.

-Zach
Old 07-28-14, 03:26 PM
96SC4
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
Try 3M General Purpose Adhesive Remover.

Should do the trick, but might require a bit of rubbing.

Might work and remove it completely, might only improve it slightly, you don't know until you try, but this stuff is ALOT better than using rubbing alcohol or some all purpose cleaner.
i got goo gone in an aresol can... safe to use? or should i just get the 3M in an aerosol ?

Originally Posted by jfelbab
IMHO, no quality detailer would ever deliver a vehicle with wax in the crevices and on the trim. This is a dead giveaway as to his qualifications, personal standards and abilities. Even if he personally didn't do the work, it is his responsibility to insure quality at his shop.
trust me, i know. i used to detail widen i was a kid with rotary buffers at a car wash/detail shop. If i did what this guy(or his helper) did, i'd be fired i bet! I knew better, and i was only 18 at the time....

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
Where exactly are you located?

I know many premium professionals throughout the US and may be able to recommend someone to you.

-Zach
i'm in Dutchess County, NY... very close to the CT. border side, actually

let me know, i'd be happy to get some suggestions
Old 07-29-14, 06:58 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

[QUOTE=96SC4;8645767i'm in Dutchess County, NY... very close to the CT. border side, actually

let me know, i'd be happy to get some suggestions[/QUOTE]
Sorry... don't know anyone nearby. I know several people in NY, but they all seem to be 1.5-2.5 hours away from there.

As far as removing the wax. You can simply use Isopropyl Alcohol (aka - IPA or rubbing alcohol). Dilute the solution 50% water 50% alcohol. Apply to a microfiber towel, and rub the trim. IPA is used to chemically strip wax or polishing oil from paint, so beware that if it is on the paint, it may remove or degrade the wax or sealant that is there.

You can rub the trim with a towel, or spray the trim and agitate with a stiff bristled brush (like a tooth brush).

-Zach
Old 07-29-14, 07:21 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

You can also try Dawn dishwashing soap. That should strip the wax.
Old 07-29-14, 08:11 PM
96SC4
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
Sorry... don't know anyone nearby. I know several people in NY, but they all seem to be 1.5-2.5 hours away from there.

As far as removing the wax. You can simply use Isopropyl Alcohol (aka - IPA or rubbing alcohol). Dilute the solution 50% water 50% alcohol. Apply to a microfiber towel, and rub the trim. IPA is used to chemically strip wax or polishing oil from paint, so beware that if it is on the paint, it may remove or degrade the wax or sealant that is there.

You can rub the trim with a towel, or spray the trim and agitate with a stiff bristled brush (like a tooth brush).

-Zach
Originally Posted by jtrue28
You can also try Dawn dishwashing soap. That should strip the wax.

thanks guys
will be tackling this job this week... nice weather in NY