Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

HELP! Dealership destroyed my rims.

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-14, 06:27 AM
SICK350
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default HELP! Dealership destroyed my rims.

I took my car into the dealership to have my tires rebalanced, when I picked up the car later that day I noticed when they detailed the car they had left tire shine splashed all over my rims baking in the sun for hours. Later that night I attempted to clean my rims with no luck, the tire shine has stained my rims and won't come off. I called the dealer and they said to bring it in and the will clean the rims. I took the car in this morning and they tried cleaning the rims with no luck of removing the stains. The guy in the service department desk told me to let the sit for a couple days and call back.

My question is are these rims ruined or will time and repeat cleaning cure the stains and make my rims the way they were before I took my car to the dealership?
Attached Thumbnails HELP! Dealership destroyed my rims.-image.jpg  

Last edited by SICK350; 07-18-14 at 06:32 AM.
Old 07-18-14, 08:15 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

1st - I would find out exactly what product was used that caused this damage. Knowing the chemical will help to determine if the staining can be removed or not.

2nd - What exactly did they and/or you use to try to clean them?

3rd - This is why I highly recommend informing your service manager that you do not want your vehicle cleaned in any way, and place signs on your vehicle that say "DO NOT WASH". Dealerships often use cheap products that can be quite harmful to your vehicle (as you're finding out). Also, most dealership detailers do not have the proper training or knowledge of proper detailing processes. Even something as simple as a car wash can create serious damage to your vehicle when done improperly (check out this article that I wrote).

^I place 4 of these signs on my vehicle when I visit the dealership, and have one hanging from the rear view mirror as well.

4th - If they offer to replace the wheels, do it. Who knows if this type of chemical staining could lead to future paint issues. I would demand replacement wheels anyway since they tried to clean them and failed. Chances are their next attempt will consist of more aggressive means and they may create more issues.
Old 07-23-14, 10:02 PM
jeepguy
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

any update on this matter?
Old 07-23-14, 10:17 PM
jayyyy
Driver

use clay magic it should take it out
Old 07-24-14, 08:42 AM
SICK350
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jayyyy
use clay magic it should take it out
Will any clay bar work? I've been fighting with the dealer to repowder coat my rims hopefully they make a decision soon.
Old 07-24-14, 10:04 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

The only way a clay bar would work is if the residue has not penetrated the surface.

Clay bars work to remove bonded contaminates that are above the surface, and not beneath them.

I would assume the chemicals have stained the wheel and a clay bar would be ineffective, but it is always worth a shot. Any clay bar would do the trick. If you have one, give it a shot.
Old 07-27-14, 02:34 PM
SICK350
Lead Lap

I tried a clay bar today but it didn't work, hopefully the dealership will have some more answers for me Monday when the detailing manager is back from vacation. I did clay bar the car instead and my paint looks beautiful. I'm going to do a coat of polish and a coat of wax tonight.
Old 07-29-14, 07:13 AM
SICK350
Lead Lap

I talked the the detailing manager today and he agreed to fix my rims, once I get a quote back from the powder coater the car will be going in and they will do everything to have them repaired.
Old 08-04-14, 10:04 PM
gunz369
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

They call it a detail but it is a bunch of non experienced workers wetting down the car and pretending they know what they do. I told my Lexus dealer to not wash my car anymore since they left it looking like crap the first time. I hope you get the issue resolved and possibly take it back to them for some type of compensation it is our hard earned money that we put into these toys and to have some one ruin them is just pure negligence.Good Luck
Old 08-04-14, 10:35 PM
PinkBear
Driver School Candidate

When I took my car in for service they actually curbed my wheels. I was so pissed that I caused a scene. They replaced my wheels so I think they should replace yours too since it was their fault. I totally agree with zmcgovern4 about the "Do not wash" signs all over the car.
Old 08-08-14, 02:55 PM
SICK350
Lead Lap

Thanks guys, they paid to have the rims recoated but the stains bleed thru so now they are being chemically stripped and recoated on their dime. It's sucks that every time I bring my car anywhere for anything someone seems to mess something up.
Old 08-12-14, 09:17 AM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
3rd - This is why I highly recommend informing your service manager that you do not want your vehicle cleaned in any way, and place signs on your vehicle that say "DO NOT WASH".
+1

The dealership where I took my car for service had an automatic car wash and I always posted a sticky on the steering wheel reading do not wash. Later they changed to handwashing and my SA said they could wash it now. I still declined. The guy who does it has to be the lowest paid employee there and I'm not going to depend that he will wash it properly.
Old 08-22-14, 11:52 AM
SICK350
Lead Lap

Finally got my rims back after over a month of waiting.
Attached Thumbnails HELP! Dealership destroyed my rims.-image.jpg  
Old 08-22-14, 03:16 PM
sick21
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Glad you got your rims fixed. They look great
Old 08-24-14, 05:06 AM
SICK350
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sick21
Glad you got your rims fixed. They look great

Thanks, it feels great to have them back and looking good

Quick Reply: HELP! Dealership destroyed my rims.