Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Getting into detailing, possible hobby! What else do I need?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-14, 01:18 AM
ixAznBeNxi
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting into detailing, possible hobby! What else do I need?

Hey! So I've been thinking of getting into detailing as a possible hobby. I personally drive an is250, mom drives an LS460, and dad drives the GX460. Guess what, they're all OBSIDIAN... Haha, not sure why my dad went ahead and purchased another black car, but I guess it just looks amazing!

So anyways, I wanted to get into detailing because I know down the road, all 3 cars will need a good detail and I can save some money doing it myself and have fun! I've read through countless threads of products and reviews and wanted to give you guys the list of things I'm interested in buying and hopefully some of you can help me figure out some extra things I need or don't need!

here goes:
Porter Cable 7424XP (didn't want to go with a rotary since I'm a beginner)
Cutting, Polishing, Finishing Pads
Meguiar's car soap
Meguiar's leather cleaner
Microfiber Towels
Window cleaner

I am not sure which polisher and paint correction brand to use, I've heard a lot of reviews and they're all great!
I'm stuck between Zaino, AMMO, and Chemical Guys

If I need anything else please let me know! Thanks!
Old 07-05-14, 05:34 AM
mcolommena
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Check out this thread.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/aut...questions.html

Zmcgovern has a ton of great post on this. OB is very sensitive, I own a 4GS OB. read read and then read some more.
Old 07-05-14, 12:53 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 194 Likes on 138 Posts

yea ive been stuck on the same problem .

Check out a brand called 'Presta", a lot fo body shops around here use it and swear by it.

They have very simple formulas which easily describe each product and what they do.

http://www.prestaproducts.com/
Old 07-06-14, 07:49 AM
jackhui
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you want to paint correct (scratches), get some compounds like meguiars M101/105 . it is a bit abrasive so be careful. followed by a M205 to get rid of possible swirls and then polish .

i would suggest some leather conditioners as well.

not sure what brands are good for leather cleaners and conditioners. maybe someone can suggest?
Old 07-07-14, 06:04 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Here are some of my recommendations....

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
These are some of my recommendations for basic detailing products and tools. It is important to remember that proper technique is key... even with something as "simple" as washing. If proper techniques are not followed, permanent damage can occur.

First, please CLICK HERE to read an article on proper washing and drying

Wheels & Tires
- A Bucket and Grit Guard used ONLY for wheels
- Wheel Cleaner
- Soft Wheel Brush for wheel faces
- EZ Detail Brush for cleaning barrels of wheels and in between spokes
- Tuf Shine Tire Cleaner & Brush
- Wheel Sealant to protect your wheels and make them easier to clean
- Premium Tire Dressing - a water based dressing to help nourish your rubber and keep it looking good

Washing & Drying
- Two Buckets and Two Grit Guards (money saving package!)
- Sheepskin Wash Mitt
- Optimum Car Wash (High Quality Shampoo)
- Two (or more) Waffle Weave Microfiber Drying Towels
- Optimum Instant Detailer and Gloss Enhancer (Quick Detail Spray)
- 5 or more Plush Microfiber Towels for use with Quick Detail Spray (high quality microfiber makes all the difference! do not purchase cheap towels from your local auto parts store. If you have them, use them for wheels and exhausts... don't use them on your paint!)

Decontamination
- Iron X Iron/Fallout Cleanser
- Fine Grade Clay Bar
- NanoSkin Glide Clay Lubricant (dilute in separate bottle)
- Two Waffle Weave Drying Towels to dry clay lube

Machine Polishing
- Porter Cable 7424XP Kit (includes machine, backing plate, 8 Pads and Pad cleaner - a great deal! I would recommend asking for 2 Orange Light Cutting Pads, 2 White Polishing Pads, 2 Black Finishing Pads, and 2 Blue Fine Finishing Pads)
- You may also consider Meguiar's Microfiber Cutting Pads if you have harder paint or more severe defects that need to be removed.
- Menzerna Fast Gloss 400 Cutting Compound for removing heavier defects/scratches
- Meguiar's M205 Finishing Polish to produce an unbelievable shine
- If you have softer paint, or black paint, you may find it beneficial to follow up with an even finer polish like Menzerna Micro Polish SF4500
- 10 or more quality microfiber towels for removing polish residue (I typically use 30+ towels per full detail)

Protection
Sealant: Menzerna Power Lock
Wax: Menzerna Color Lock

Misc. Other Tasks
- Glass Cleaner: Stoner Invisible Glass
- Metal Polish/Protection: Chemical Guys Metal Wax (Metal Polish + Metal Sealant in one step!)
- Engine Bay Cleaning: Optimum Power Clean
- Engine Bay Dressing: 303 Aerospace Protectant for engine covers/plastic panels and Chemical Guys Black on Black spray for hoses, harnesses, and hard to reach areas.
- Exterior Trim Protectant/Coating: 22ple VR1 Plastic and Trim Restorer (up to 1 year of durable, fantastic looking trim protection.
- Light Interior Cleaning/UV Protection: 303 Aerospace Protectant for a slightly glossy appearance or Einszett Cockpit Premium for a 'like new' matte finish

You will find a full, comprehensive detailing guide by CLICKING HERE. It will help to walk you through basics of the full detailing process.

Please let me know if you've got any other specific questions regarding processes, products, technique, etc.

-Zach
Old 07-07-14, 06:23 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

definitely some great links Zac. I will be looking at those drying towels on Amazon. thanks buddy.
Old 07-08-14, 08:02 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

take advantage of Detailed Image 25% summer sale.. I sure did... got some Meguires Pads, compound, and polish...
Old 07-08-14, 11:56 AM
rustyd
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check out Autogeek.net forums for good info and product reviews