ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   Automotive Care & Detailing (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/automotive-care-and-detailing-122/)
-   -   Can't wash my car at home : how bad is touchless car wash? (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/automotive-care-and-detailing/743144-cant-wash-my-car-at-home-how-bad-is-touchless-car-wash.html)

Aeromotive 05-21-14 07:53 PM

Can't wash my car at home : how bad is touchless car wash?

Hi all.

I'll be getting my 3IS tomorrow :woohoo: and they're forecasting rain the day after :thumbdn:
I'll probably getting my first wash this weekend so I'm wondering how bad are touchless automated car washes? I can't wash it at home :(
I hear all hand washes leave swirls because they don't use microfibers clothes so I'll be trying to avoid those :(

Or would anyone recommend waterless wash? That could come in handy every once in a while...

Any tips, recommendations?

Edit : color is USB!

jtrue28 05-21-14 08:17 PM

What color is the car?

Aeromotive 05-21-14 08:18 PM

Good question. USB.

JDR76 05-21-14 08:25 PM

Touchless is ok, but uses harsh chemicals that can strip wax and such, so I wouldn't overdo it.

During winter months I use Optimum No Rinse in my garage. Is that an option for you?

http://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-P...-no-rinse-onr/

jtrue28 05-22-14 05:30 AM

2 bucket wash method is really the only way to avoid scratches.

I don't trust ONR, nor the "touchless" car washes. Watch the Youtube videos from "Junkman".

zmcgovern4 05-22-14 06:09 AM

I use Optimum No Rinse via the 2 bucket method to maintain my car when it is covered in pollen, dust, or light dirt. ONR is a fantastic product that is in fact very safe to use when done properly. Rinseless washing saves A LOT of time (and water) and is that is why it is a great choice for routine maintenance. There are, however, limitations on when rinseless washing is safe, so use common sense.

If the vehicle is particularly dirty, I will do a traditional 2 bucket wash with shampoo.

To answer the OP's question (and to reiterate an answer that was already made), touchless washes are not 'that bad' in that they should not scratch your paint. As already mentioned, the harsh chemicals used to clean your vehicle will degrade or completely remove any traditional protection (wax or sealant) that you have on your vehicle, therefore if you visit touchless washes often, it is important to apply a new layer of protection very frequently.

Also, if this is your main routine for 'cleaning' the exterior of the car, you will most likely notice chemical staining over time (as seen below). This is usually easily fixed with a light polish which should be done every 1-2 years anyway to keep your vehicle looking its best.
https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.n...54758127_n.jpg

Hope that helps

-Zach

sydtoosic 05-22-14 12:06 PM

USB is a sweet color... it's worse than DSM and OB. if you use a rinseless wash... proceed with caution. use as much lubrication as possible. pre soak the hell out of those panels with diluted OBR and let sit for about 5 minutes (i use OOC) make sure you are not in the sun. get a bucket fill with 2 gallons of distilled water and 1 or 2 oz. of ONR, place about 5 to 6 QUALITY MF towels in the bucket and let them soak... have a WW drying towel ready to dry, i would do 1 panel at a time until you get the hang of it. i use ONR 85% of the time, there are no scratches or swirls in my paint.

Aeromotive 05-22-14 02:45 PM

Thanks guys. I think I figured out a way to attach a garden hose to my kitchen faucet (I live on the first floor, so I needed a bit of imagination). Now I need to know if there's any danger to attaching a nozzle to that garden hose that's attached to my kitchen faucet? Any plumber here :) ? Can this damage anything of my plumbing?

If I could successfully do that, it means I could thoroughly wash my car with the proper techniques!

yardie876 05-22-14 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Aeromotive (Post 8549293)
Thanks guys. I think I figured out a way to attach a garden hose to my kitchen faucet (I live on the first floor, so I needed a bit of imagination). Now I need to know if there's any danger to attaching a nozzle to that garden hose that's attached to my kitchen faucet? Any plumber here :) ? Can this damage anything of my plumbing? If I could successfully do that, it means I could thoroughly wash my car with the proper techniques!

Home Depot should have a coupling that goes from the faucet to a hose. You probably have checked already, but some housing complexes offer areas to wash your car. It doesn't hurt to check. :thumbup:

Aeromotive 05-22-14 03:13 PM

I have the piece that goes from faucet to hose. What I want to know is if it's safe to attach a nozzle to that hose since it's attached to my kitchen faucet! And no I don't live in a complex.

Schmexus 05-22-14 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by Aeromotive (Post 8549334)
I have the piece that goes from faucet to hose. What I want to know is if it's safe to attach a nozzle to that hose since it's attached to my kitchen faucet! And no I don't live in a complex.

Yes. The pressure won't be any higher than if the water was off. You will be fine.

jtrue28 05-22-14 05:04 PM

Just be careful not to pull the hose too hard and rip the faucet out of the sink.

lexi90 05-22-14 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by Aeromotive (Post 8548027)
Hi all.

I'll be getting my 3IS tomorrow :woohoo: and they're forecasting rain the day after :thumbdn:
I'll probably getting my first wash this weekend so I'm wondering how bad are touchless automated car washes? I can't wash it at home :(
I hear all hand washes leave swirls because they don't use microfibers clothes so I'll be trying to avoid those :(

Or would anyone recommend waterless wash? That could come in handy every once in a while...

Any tips, recommendations?

Edit : color is USB!

First off, congrats on your purchase. I personally don't do touchless neither automatic car washes. In the winter time, I go to a local hand wash car wash that I personally know the staff + owner and they use microfiber towels for everything. My mother also takes her car there and hers is a brand new Accord Sport in Pearl White and they do a perfect job. Now, knowing the car you just bought, I would wash it myself weekly. As someone else mentioned, avoid the sun and use a soap that's mixed with wax such as Turtle Wax or Ardex. I use Ardex products and they are superb. I just got a sealant+wax last week and it came out awesome on my '06 Black IS250. Good luck with the 3IS and keep it clean!

Jetfire 05-22-14 10:15 PM

another option is to find a DIY wash bay. bring all the buckets, soaps, brushes and wash it there.

Aeromotive 05-23-14 10:31 AM

Yeah you're right! But I heard they charge by the minute or so!!