Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

CarPro HydrO2... buy it!

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-17, 10:51 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Blkexcoupe
If they follow their new dilution ratio (6 to 10 parts water), then that means there is 142.85mL to 90.9mL of Hydro2 in a 1L bottle. I would hope that its closer to 6 parts water to justify the cost.
I marked my small spray bottle specifically for 4:1 ratio 1-2 years ago. Didn't have streaking problems so I never diluted further. I'll try 6:1 to ease the pain on my wallet lol.
Old 05-23-17, 11:06 AM
k20trick
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 57 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
HydrO2 Lite (the ready to use solution) is heavily diluted. I believe I was told it is roughly equivalent to 10 parts water : 1 part concentrate when it was first released. This makes sense as the durability is listed at around 3 months, which is also what is listed on the low range for HydrO2 Concentrate, so I can assume that is for the most diluted mixture which is said to be 10:1 on their site.

1000 mL HydrO2 Lite = $24.99, or $.025/mL. Estimated 3 month durability.

100 mL HydrO2 Concentrate = $19.99
  • Mixed at 6:1, makes 700 mL of solution. $.029/mL. Estimated 6 month durability. (Best value for durability)
  • Mixed at 10:1, makes 1100 mL of solution. $.018/mL. Estimated 3 month durability. (Best value by volume)
As expected, the concentrate is always the better value.
Awesome! So let's say the lite version is 10:1, were basically paying an extra $5 for 1000ml of water and a bigger bottle I suppose?

Guess I'll go for the concentrate for now on my next order for the gtechniq crystal serum light, got a perfect car to test this out on and cant wait to try this one out per your recommendation... 5 years of protection is some pretty serious stuff especially at a consumer level.

Edite**

Probably going for the 500ml

Last edited by k20trick; 05-23-17 at 11:12 AM.
Old 05-23-17, 02:05 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 549 Likes on 369 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
I marked my small spray bottle specifically for 4:1 ratio 1-2 years ago. Didn't have streaking problems so I never diluted further. I'll try 6:1 to ease the pain on my wallet lol.
I didn't know your wallet was capable of feeling pain... jk

Originally Posted by k20trick
Awesome! So let's say the lite version is 10:1, were basically paying an extra $5 for 1000ml of water and a bigger bottle I suppose?

Guess I'll go for the concentrate for now on my next order for the gtechniq crystal serum light, got a perfect car to test this out on and cant wait to try this one out per your recommendation... 5 years of protection is some pretty serious stuff especially at a consumer level.

Edite**

Probably going for the 500ml
Don't forget about the sprayer. Those usually cost $2-3 on their own.
Old 05-23-17, 03:44 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

The included sprayer from CarPro is cheap and terrible IMO, so it isn't worth anything anyway. You'll need a new sprayer regardless of if you buy RTU or concentrate.
Old 05-23-17, 08:11 PM
k20trick
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 57 Posts

I didn't know your wallet was capable of feeling pain... jk

Don't forget about the sprayer. Those usually cost $2-3 on their own.
nice!
Old 11-02-17, 10:22 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
How important is the water pressure used to blast the product off the surface? And, is one particular type of water delivery used (e.g. fixed stream, rotary, spray, flow, etc.) best to shock/activate the product? Is the angle at which the water hits the surface important? Also, how does the surface (paint) temperature, the ambient (air) temperature, as well as the water (blast) temperature affect the application and final results?
I didn't see this question addressed. I want to try Hydro2 and want to make sure I have sufficient water pressure to avoid streaking. I just have a typical hose attachment from Home Depot that allows you to select various spray patterns like bclexus listed. Should I use the strongest, but very narrow, laser stream?

Also, I just detailed my car on my own for the first time two weeks ago. I originally washed with ONR Wash & Shine (no wax), clay barred, applied Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid Polish, followed by Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid Wax. What is the best way to remove the wax before applying Hydro2? Can I just wash with ONR and then apply Hydro2? Thank you.
Old 11-03-17, 07:45 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by FatherTo1
I didn't see this question addressed. I want to try Hydro2 and want to make sure I have sufficient water pressure to avoid streaking. I just have a typical hose attachment from Home Depot that allows you to select various spray patterns like bclexus listed. Should I use the strongest, but very narrow, laser stream?

Also, I just detailed my car on my own for the first time two weeks ago. I originally washed with ONR Wash & Shine (no wax), clay barred, applied Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid Polish, followed by Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid Wax. What is the best way to remove the wax before applying Hydro2? Can I just wash with ONR and then apply Hydro2? Thank you.
I use the garden hose to rinse off hydro2, and I haven't had streaking issues rinsing it off. I get streaking issues because of paint temperatures being slightly too warm. I use the "cone" shaped stream and spray within 1 ft of the paint, and I rinse until the white foam disperses.

The best bond will be provided by polishing the paint again. Otherwise, using dawn soap to strip off the old wax is a common technique. Any "pure" soap (no fillers/wax) at a higher than recommended dilution ratio should do the trick to wear down your existing wax.

ONR + hydro2 would still work, but the hydro2 might not last as long (the only real way to know is to test it).
The following users liked this post:
FatherTo1 (11-03-17)
Old 11-03-17, 08:32 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

A regular hose sprayer is preferred over a pressure washer. The hose sprayer provides enough pressure and a higher volume of water than a pressure washer which helps in this instance. The "stream" or "cone" options tend to be great choices if you have a multi-nozzle sprayer.

There is no real need to strip wax prior to using HydrO2, but keep in mind HydrO2 relies on a wetted surface for best results. If your vehicle has a product on it which makes water bead up, then the surface is not very wet after you spray it. The majority of the panel is dry, and only the tiny areas beneath the water beads is actually wet. This is not ideal for the use of this product. In this case, you need to use a stronger cleaner or degreaser that will lower the surface tension of the vehicle and reduce or eliminate the beading. In the original post, you will notice the vehicle has zero water beading prior to applying HydrO2. This will provide the best results and lowest chance of streaking. Also, remember that overspray will land wherever the wind takes it, so be sure to rinse adjacent panels as you are working to avoid product drying or streaking.

You should not use ONR with HydrO2... ONR is a rinseless wash, meaning you would not be spraying your car down, which is a must for HydrO2 to work properly.

If you wish to apply protection while you are washing with ONR, spray Reload (or similar) onto the damp panel after washing with ONR.

If you wish to use HydrO2, wash the car using traditional wash methods (ie using a hose). After your final rinse, spray a panel with HydrO2 and rinse it away as directed. Work from the top of the vehicle, down to the bottom (roof, hood, trunk, sides, front, back... or something along those lines).
The following users liked this post:
FatherTo1 (11-03-17)
Old 11-03-17, 03:50 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

A regular hose sprayer is preferred over a pressure washer. The hose sprayer provides enough pressure and a higher volume of water than a pressure washer which helps in this instance. The "stream" or "cone" options tend to be great choices if you have a multi-nozzle sprayer.

There is no real need to strip wax prior to using HydrO2, but keep in mind HydrO2 relies on a wetted surface for best results. If your vehicle has a product on it which makes water bead up, then the surface is not very wet after you spray it. The majority of the panel is dry, and only the tiny areas beneath the water beads is actually wet. This is not ideal for the use of this product. In this case, you need to use a stronger cleaner or degreaser that will lower the surface tension of the vehicle and reduce or eliminate the beading. In the original post, you will notice the vehicle has zero water beading prior to applying HydrO2. This will provide the best results and lowest chance of streaking. Also, remember that overspray will land wherever the wind takes it, so be sure to rinse adjacent panels as you are working to avoid product drying or streaking.

You should not use ONR with HydrO2... ONR is a rinseless wash, meaning you would not be spraying your car down, which is a must for HydrO2 to work properly.

If you wish to apply protection while you are washing with ONR, spray Reload (or similar) onto the damp panel after washing with ONR.

If you wish to use HydrO2, wash the car using traditional wash methods (ie using a hose). After your final rinse, spray a panel with HydrO2 and rinse it away as directed. Work from the top of the vehicle, down to the bottom (roof, hood, trunk, sides, front, back... or something along those lines).
Thank you, Zach! Reminding me about the "rinseless" portion of ONR really helped. I was just concerned about my newly applied wax causing an issue. That makes sense that the wax will prevent the wetness required for Hydro2. I will buy some Dawn and prepare to wash the car again the old fashioned way while incorporating Hydro2 into the last rinse step. How do you know that you've removed enough wax? Just by looking to see if water still beads? If it still beads then "wash and repeat" with Dawn again?

It is interesting, not being familiar with Hydro2, I actually thought the beginning of the 1st post video was a good thing -- I thought the car looked great with the water sticking to it because it looks so uniform and wet, lol. Then I saw the final results with the beading and how the hood was almost completely dry on its own after dousing with water, which also looked equally good.
Old 11-03-17, 06:11 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Thank you, Zach! Reminding me about the "rinseless" portion of ONR really helped. I was just concerned about my newly applied wax causing an issue. That makes sense that the wax will prevent the wetness required for Hydro2. I will buy some Dawn and prepare to wash the car again the old fashioned way while incorporating Hydro2 into the last rinse step. How do you know that you've removed enough wax? Just by looking to see if water still beads? If it still beads then "wash and repeat" with Dawn again?

It is interesting, not being familiar with Hydro2, I actually thought the beginning of the 1st post video was a good thing -- I thought the car looked great with the water sticking to it because it looks so uniform and wet, lol. Then I saw the final results with the beading and how the hood was almost completely dry on its own after dousing with water, which also looked equally good.
My opinion - dawn is for dishes, not for cars.

Most automotive car wash shampoos can be used to weaken the surface tension by simply mixing a higher concentration of shampoo to water, or by using an automotive safe degreaser or all purpose cleaner as a prewash.

You will not know if you are truly stripping the wax. Outside of lab testing, there is no way to tell if you have removed a product by simply washing the car. Your goal, should you wish to use HydrO2, will be just to reduce the water beading so that the surface will remain wet for the best application of HydrO2. You will likely not get a perfectly flat sheet of water as shown in the video since you have a fresh coat of wax on the car that may put up a pretty good fight against washing for a little while. Your best bet at knocking down the water beading quickly is to use a stronger cleaner like an all purpose cleaner or even a prep solution like CarPro Eraser (which is an isopropyl alcohol based solvent).
Old 11-03-17, 07:04 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

My opinion - dawn is for dishes, not for cars.

Most automotive car wash shampoos can be used to weaken the surface tension by simply mixing a higher concentration of shampoo to water, or by using an automotive safe degreaser or all purpose cleaner as a prewash.

You will not know if you are truly stripping the wax. Outside of lab testing, there is no way to tell if you have removed a product by simply washing the car. Your goal, should you wish to use HydrO2, will be just to reduce the water beading so that the surface will remain wet for the best application of HydrO2. You will likely not get a perfectly flat sheet of water as shown in the video since you have a fresh coat of wax on the car that may put up a pretty good fight against washing for a little while. Your best bet at knocking down the water beading quickly is to use a stronger cleaner like an all purpose cleaner or even a prep solution like CarPro Eraser (which is an isopropyl alcohol based solvent).
Thank you for the guidance, Zach. Maybe I will wait 2-3 months and after a few handwashes to be sure most of the fresh wax is dissolved away. Maybe I will wash my car in the rain and apply Hydro2 at that time.
Old 11-04-17, 08:27 AM
FatherTo1
Racer

I use the garden hose to rinse off hydro2, and I haven't had streaking issues rinsing it off. I get streaking issues because of paint temperatures being slightly too warm. I use the "cone" shaped stream and spray within 1 ft of the paint, and I rinse until the white foam disperses.

The best bond will be provided by polishing the paint again. Otherwise, using dawn soap to strip off the old wax is a common technique. Any "pure" soap (no fillers/wax) at a higher than recommended dilution ratio should do the trick to wear down your existing wax.

ONR + hydro2 would still work, but the hydro2 might not last as long (the only real way to know is to test it).
Blkexcoupe, your comment about foam caught my attention. Did you use Hydro2 or Hydro2 Foam (last product listed below, from Amazon)?

Old 11-04-17, 01:50 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

I use the regular hydro2. I've never tried the hydro2 foam.
Old 11-14-17, 08:44 PM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Zach first time here going to try this. Newbie. Could you please tell me where and when exactly this product would be applied to within the whole detail process? Starting from scratch? Say you got a car, not new but in excellent condition...
1. Rinse,
2.Wash
3. Clay
4. Wash again(optional)
5. Polish
6. Hydro 2(?) Wax(?) Sealer (?)
Thanks.
Old 11-15-17, 06:53 AM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 229 Likes on 173 Posts

If your vehicle has a product on it which makes water bead up, then the surface is not very wet after you spray it. The majority of the panel is dry, and only the tiny areas beneath the water beads is actually wet. This is not ideal for the use of this product. In this case, you need to use a stronger cleaner or degreaser that will lower the surface tension of the vehicle and reduce or eliminate the beading. In the original post, you will notice the vehicle has zero water beading prior to applying HydrO2. This will provide the best results and lowest chance of streaking.
How does this play in to using this product on top of a ceramic coating? For example, with Opti-Coat Pro+ there is maximum water beading and sheeting at all times (unremovable), so how would you recommend using HydrO2? Just wet with a mist as much as possible prior to applying?

FWIW I have used this product, but not on my vehicles. I found this product to be AMAZING for my glass enclosed showers. It completely rinses to an almost dry after a shower and completely eliminates the need to squeegee the shower in order to prevent water stains. LOVE IT!

Quick Reply: CarPro HydrO2... buy it!