Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

CarPro HydrO2... buy it!

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-17, 07:27 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by rxonmymind
Hey Zach first time here going to try this. Newbie. Could you please tell me where and when exactly this product would be applied to within the whole detail process? Starting from scratch? Say you got a car, not new but in excellent condition...
1. Rinse,
2.Wash
3. Clay
4. Wash again(optional)
5. Polish
6. Hydro 2(?) Wax(?) Sealer (?)
Thanks.
Yep, you've got it...

The process for detailing paint is always...

Wash
Decontaminate
Paint Correction (if needed)
Polishing
Protection
The following users liked this post:
rxonmymind (11-16-17)
Old 11-17-17, 12:18 PM
jincuteguy
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is there anything better than CarPro Hydro2 atm? or it's still the best for spray sealants?
Also, are there anything new and better for Waterless Wash that is coming out or just out? I haven't been able to keep up with the Detailing world.

Last edited by jincuteguy; 11-17-17 at 12:23 PM.
Old 11-18-17, 08:16 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by np20412
How does this play in to using this product on top of a ceramic coating? For example, with Opti-Coat Pro+ there is maximum water beading and sheeting at all times (unremovable), so how would you recommend using HydrO2? Just wet with a mist as much as possible prior to applying?

FWIW I have used this product, but not on my vehicles. I found this product to be AMAZING for my glass enclosed showers. It completely rinses to an almost dry after a shower and completely eliminates the need to squeegee the shower in order to prevent water stains. LOVE IT!
I use it the same way as I would on an uncoated car. I spray it on right after washing the car.

I sprayed most of my bathroom with hydro2. The sinks were overkill, but it's always cool to see gravity dry the sink almost immediately.
Old 11-19-17, 07:09 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by np20412
How does this play in to using this product on top of a ceramic coating? For example, with Opti-Coat Pro+ there is maximum water beading and sheeting at all times (unremovable), so how would you recommend using HydrO2? Just wet with a mist as much as possible prior to applying?

FWIW I have used this product, but not on my vehicles. I found this product to be AMAZING for my glass enclosed showers. It completely rinses to an almost dry after a shower and completely eliminates the need to squeegee the shower in order to prevent water stains. LOVE IT!
I personally don't use HydrO2 on coated vehicles that are still displaying excellent hydrophobic properties for reasons I had mentioned previously regarding the need for a wetted surface for best results with HydrO2.

For coated vehicles, or any vehicle that repels water, I prefer to use a spray on, wipe off product while drying... something like CarPro Reload, Gyeon Cure, GTechniq C2, etc.

I'm not saying you cannot use HydrO2 on an already hydrophobic surface, I just personally chose not to. If you were going to use it on your vehicle, if it is dark colored, I would consider mixing HydrO2 a bit weaker than recommended to help avoid spotting/streaking... again, it is ultimately up to you. You may not have any issues.
Old 03-25-18, 04:43 PM
SeanO
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Planning on purchasing a 1000ml bottle of Hydro2 in the next few weeks as I prep for taking my car out of storage (my garage lol) - I plan on having my friend buff/ polish the entire surface of my car to give it a slight refresh as I have been hand waxing for the last year and a half.. so this will be my first time trying a sealant or anything like it. My friend has also installed coatings before however I like that I can use Hydro2 on my wheels as well so I figure I will just use it on the whole car - And being that it just sprays on and rinses off it seems too easy to pass up. Once I have my friend polish my car, should i treat the car with alcohol or anything prior to applying the hydro2 spray? I'm also purchasing a pressure washer with a foam cannon attachment within the next month to help with washes (althought I've read that pressure washers aren't necessary with hydro2? )

Being that my car is Obsidian (black) should I me mixing the Hydro2 a bit weaker as you mentioned above Zach??
Old 03-25-18, 09:02 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SeanO
Planning on purchasing a 1000ml bottle of Hydro2 in the next few weeks as I prep for taking my car out of storage (my garage lol) - I plan on having my friend buff/ polish the entire surface of my car to give it a slight refresh as I have been hand waxing for the last year and a half.. so this will be my first time trying a sealant or anything like it. My friend has also installed coatings before however I like that I can use Hydro2 on my wheels as well so I figure I will just use it on the whole car - And being that it just sprays on and rinses off it seems too easy to pass up. Once I have my friend polish my car, should i treat the car with alcohol or anything prior to applying the hydro2 spray? I'm also purchasing a pressure washer with a foam cannon attachment within the next month to help with washes (althought I've read that pressure washers aren't necessary with hydro2? )

Being that my car is Obsidian (black) should I me mixing the Hydro2 a bit weaker as you mentioned above Zach??
Treating the paint with alcohol 1st would be ideal for removing the polish oils, but I wouldn't say it's absolutely necessary.

Do you have a lot of cars or clean a lot of cars to require 1L? The per car application isn't much, so 1L would last a long time. The product has a shelf life of 2 years, so keep that in mind too.

I mix the product 10:1 and use it on obsidian with little issues. The most important thing to remember is that the paint has to be cool to the touch and in the shade. Any warmth and you're screwed. I usually apply using a kwazar spray bottle and rinsing off with water. The pressure washer would help with rinsing it off.
The following 2 users liked this post by Blkexcoupe:
SeanO (03-30-18), zmcgovern4 (03-26-18)
Old 03-26-18, 08:01 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

^What he said

Pressure washers are absolutely not necessary, just a strong stream of water from a hose will work well.
SeanO (03-30-18)
Old 03-29-18, 03:21 PM
SeanO
Instructor

Thanks for the help fellas! I was going to buy the 1000ml jug of hydro2 as it seems like the best deal.. it seems as though the 500ml options are sold out a lot as they are very popular.. would the 100ml be enough to do my car a couple times or just once??

10:1 for the mixture blkexcoupe? I thought it was around 6:1 ?? Roughly how long will the protection last with a 10:1 mix?
Old 03-29-18, 04:16 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

The 1L is the best deal, but only if you can use all of it within the 2 year shelf life. I've found myself applying it to everything and giving it away to other local detailer, so mine wouldn't go to waste.

100ml should be enough to do it a few times. At 6:1 carpro says you'll need 30ml of hydro2 to do an average size sedan.

The dilution ratio ranges from 6:1 up to 10:1 depending on where you look on their website. I reapply every 5 to 6 months on most vehicles because that's around the time the blower starts becoming ineffective for drying cars quickly.
SeanO (03-30-18)
Old 03-30-18, 08:35 AM
SeanO
Instructor

Originally Posted by Blkexcoupe
The 1L is the best deal, but only if you can use all of it within the 2 year shelf life. I've found myself applying it to everything and giving it away to other local detailer, so mine wouldn't go to waste.

100ml should be enough to do it a few times. At 6:1 carpro says you'll need 30ml of hydro2 to do an average size sedan.

The dilution ratio ranges from 6:1 up to 10:1 depending on where you look on their website. I reapply every 5 to 6 months on most vehicles because that's around the time the blower starts becoming ineffective for drying cars quickly.
So for your personal vehicle, which is black.. you recommend and have had good results doing the 10:1 ?

Considering I store my car for the winter.. maybe the 1L isn't the best way to go.. I might just purchase the 100ml and give it a shot.. I have 3 vehicles I could use it on but the other vehicles are not held to the same standards as my car lol one is a winter beater (hardly a beater - honda crv 4wd) and my girlfriends Ford Escape. I could always buy 2 of the 100ml bottles and that should be enough to get me through May - November.

Thanks Again!!!
Old 03-30-18, 09:33 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SeanO
So for your personal vehicle, which is black.. you recommend and have had good results doing the 10:1 ?

Considering I store my car for the winter.. maybe the 1L isn't the best way to go.. I might just purchase the 100ml and give it a shot.. I have 3 vehicles I could use it on but the other vehicles are not held to the same standards as my car lol one is a winter beater (hardly a beater - honda crv 4wd) and my girlfriends Ford Escape. I could always buy 2 of the 100ml bottles and that should be enough to get me through May - November.

Thanks Again!!!
The panel temperature is more important than the mixture. When I apply hydro2 to my black cars, I wait for an overcast morning or I'll park the car in the garage during the day (to lower the temperature) and I wash it in the evening to avoid any sun. You don't want the hydro2 to dry before it is rinsed off, that's why carpro says to work 1 panel at a time in the shade.

I gave some hydro2 to a friend of mine to try. He tried to do it before sunrise but he couldn't beat the sun. The sun came up and started to dry the Hydro2. It took 3 months before the streaking started to fade off his car, but even with the streaks on his car, he loved the product.
SeanO (03-30-18)
Old 04-22-18, 05:55 PM
fwhomeboy
Racer

Received 211 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
Sorry... I've probably contributed quite a bit to the mass confusion of paint protection

So, you've got the cleaning, polishing, and prep down... that is the majority of the work.

There are tons of options for paint protection...

Waxes - natural (often carnauaba based) products that are applied to the paint to provide temporary protection.

Sealants - synthetic/man made products that contain polymers to provide more durable protection compared to a natural wax. (sealants are basically a fancy, man-made wax)

Coatings - These are also man made products, but they are much more durable than a wax or sealant. In my article 'The Benefits of a Paint Coating', I discuss why paint coatings are the ultimate form of protection. The most notable differences are that coatings add a measurable thickness to your painted surfaces, they last years not months, they resist dirt and contamination better, and are MUCH more resistant to chemicals and contamination.

HydrO2 is a sealant. It can be used as a stand alone system of protection and should last a few months before reapplication is needed.

While coatings do not need to be topped with anything, many people (myself included), like to add another product on top of them from time to time to add even more protection. There are a few benefits to this when the right product is used as the topping... 1) more protection on top of the coating means more protection on top of your paint 2) this will protect the coating and should lead to longer life out of your coating. Products like HydrO2 and Reload are silica based sealants which make them perfect for applying on top of coatings that are also silica based (or even opti-coat which is silcon carbide based) because they exhibit many of the same characteristics of the coating that is beneath them.

So, long story short... you need some type of protection on your paint at all times. A wax, sealant, or a coating can all be used for this. If you use a sealant, you can top it with a wax for more protection. If you use a coating, you can top it with a sealant (or wax if you choose...though I don't like this) for more protection. The reason I brought up HydrO2 is because it is SO QUICK and SO EASY that it is a no brainer.

Hope that helps

-Zach
So, after I totaled my LS460L, I bought another one. It needs a clay bay treatment. I'll do that next month. My question is, after I clay the car, I would normally do a polish, wax and D156 it. I just bought some Hydr02 lite. Should I bypass the polish,and wax and go with the Hydro lite? Pro and Con? Thanks in advance.
Old 04-23-18, 09:29 AM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 229 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by fwhomeboy
So, after I totaled my LS460L, I bought another one. It needs a clay bay treatment. I'll do that next month. My question is, after I clay the car, I would normally do a polish, wax and D156 it. I just bought some Hydr02 lite. Should I bypass the polish,and wax and go with the Hydro lite? Pro and Con? Thanks in advance.
You should still polish if you intend to do that. HydrO2 will not take the place of a polish if you are trying to correct paint and bring shine out of it.

You can skip the wax and just replace it with HydrO2. I think alternatively you could HydrO2 and THEN wax to get even more protection on top of the HydrO2, which is a sealant. Typically, if anything, you want to wax over sealants even though IMO that is not even required if you plan to be regular with something like HydrO2 (which you might as well be considering it takes 10 minutes to apply).
Old 08-01-18, 02:28 PM
SeanO
Instructor

I did a full clay bar wash on Monday, and did a full detail on my car last night with a friend of mine. Started with meguiars light compound, and then followed up with a polish and it turned out great. My car wasn't in terrible shape to begin with so it was nice to really shine it up. On my way home I stopped at a car wash booth and applied Hydro2 !! I mixed it just a bit over 6:1 with some distilled water as people have mentioned. It was super easy to apply, I did a quick wash of the car and then hi pressure rinse then applied the Hydro2. It really is quite something to see it work. I went around my car in 10 minutes and was outta there.. I plan to do my wheels this weekend but they need to be pulled off and cleaned properly as well. I'll try to get a picture of the finish with the Hydro2.

Also, I noticed above that applying wax over Hydro2 is recommended? I love using the Meguiars Spray wax.. I haven't really thought about using the Hydro2 regularly and considering my car is garage stored and not winter driven I'm not sure its necessary to use it regularly.. If the spray wax ontop of the Hydro2 is good then I'm all for it!
Old 08-01-18, 07:30 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

I wouldn't apply wax over Hydro2. It may not bond well and besides, Hydro2 as a last step product is already damn good! You don't need to use it regularly as it offers protection for at least 1-2 months.

Quick Reply: CarPro HydrO2... buy it!