Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

CarPro HydrO2... buy it!

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-14, 06:45 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts

I think I might order some for my cars this month.
Old 05-16-14, 08:27 AM
Autoplak
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
Surely.. you can simply use this product every 2-3 months (or as needed) on top of itself to maintain continued protection in between full details.

You can apply a wax on top if you want, although I wouldn't personally recommend it as I feel HydrO2 is great on it's own.

A quick detailer or rinseless wash would be just fine to remove light dusting. You would not use Reload for this... reload can be used on top of HydrO2 if you want, but I would not use it as a QD spray. You'd use a lot of product to remove dust, and Reload is pricey compared to normal QD sprays.

You mix 3 parts water with 1 part HydrO2.

So 500mL of HydrO2 would require 1500mL of water, which equals 2000mL total, or 68oz (~0.5 gal) of ready to use product.

I would not suggest mixing more than 6-8 oz of product at a time, and store the remaining concentrated solution inside for a longer shelf life.

Good to hear it!
Thanks Zach,
Received the HydrO2 last night and it's the real deal. Worked great.
I would recommend not mixing more than 4 oz. of product to 12 oz. of water. 16 oz. total should be enough for mid sized cars. You can always mix more if needed and the product will store. I went with 2 cap fulls of product to 6 cap fulls of H2O and just got through doing the SC430.
Old 05-16-14, 09:50 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Autoplak
Thanks Zach,
Received the HydrO2 last night and it's the real deal. Worked great.
I would recommend not mixing more than 4 oz. of product to 12 oz. of water. 16 oz. total should be enough for mid sized cars. You can always mix more if needed and the product will store. I went with 2 cap fulls of product to 6 cap fulls of H2O and just got through doing the SC430.
12oz of solution should be enough for at least 2 cars. As I mentioned, I use it regularly on my wife's SUV and never use more than 6 oz of solution on her Mazda CX-7. You do not need to over apply or apply heavily - all it takes is a light mist on the surface, and then rinse off.

In any case, glad you're liking it!!
Old 05-20-14, 07:33 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I bought some of this a couple of weeks ago on Zach's recommendation. I finally got around to putting it on my RX last night. That stuff is pretty awesome. It was quick and easy to put on, and the results were instant, and obvious.

I'll put it on my IS the next time I wash it.

Thanks for the recommendation.
Old 05-20-14, 09:05 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by JDR76
I bought some of this a couple of weeks ago on Zach's recommendation. I finally got around to putting it on my RX last night. That stuff is pretty awesome. It was quick and easy to put on, and the results were instant, and obvious.

I'll put it on my IS the next time I wash it.

Thanks for the recommendation.
Happy to help! Glad you're enjoying it... I knew you would, what's not to love?!
Old 05-20-14, 09:55 AM
DaXxJaPxX
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

there goes $65, you sold me Zach
Old 05-21-14, 08:10 AM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by DaXxJaPxX
there goes $65, you sold me Zach
Car Pro site has the 500ml bottle for $54.00
Old 05-21-14, 08:11 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

Hate to burst anyone's bubble here, but I applied this stuff Sunday afternoon, and it was the worst experience of my life.

I washed the car, in the shade (halfway in the garage). I had just did all the claying/polishing/cleansing last weekend, so all of those steps were unnecessary.

I left the car wet, still in the shade, car cool to the touch. I mixed the entire "small" bottle of Hydro2 into a 32oz spray bottle. From reading this thread, I may have not diluted it enough, although initially I thought I diluted it too much. Regardless, there was likely 26-28 oz of "liquid" in the bottle after diluting with water.

I sprayed rather liberally all over the trunk, back window, roof, windshield and hood. I then sprayed off with a super strong blast of water. Everything seemed to be doing very well. Then I moved to the back of the vehicle and then sprayed that off. I then went to the sides, but noticed that the spray bottle I was using was having difficulty reaching the bottom of the bottle, so product was not coming out as quickly and liberally as it started out. I continued spray and hosing off.

Once completed, I did the water sheeting drying method. That doesn't really work for me, so I went and grabbed some waffle weave drying towels. As I was drying I noticed severe streaking on the sides and front bumper from this Hydro2 stuff. I wiped rather aggressively, with not much luck of getting it off. At this point, I'm concerned.

I go back in and fill up my wash buckets and wash the car again. It's not dirty at this point, so this was somewhat of a half-assed wash, just to see if that would help remove the streaking. Nope.

Now I'm pissed. The only thing I can think to do at this point is grab a bottle of Dawn and wash the car again. This is 3x now. Even more miraculously, the Dawn wash did not remove this stuff either. I may have lessened the effects, but the car still beaded just like after I applied the product, which is not normal after washing with Dawn.

The stuff was all over the windows, sides, front and back. I went in again and grabbed 91% IPA. I mixed that 1:1 with water and tested that solution on the windows. Nope.

So the moral of this story is, make sure you have plenty of product, the car is completely wet, wash it off immediately. Short of me grabbing the PC DAP, and giving it a light polishing with finishing glaze, nothing is going to take this stuff off, except time.

I will never use this product again. Although, as you can see, this stuff doesn't come off...so I guess it does what it says it will do. #sigh

Anyone have any other ideas on how to "strip" this crap off? Short of getting the polisher out.
Old 05-21-14, 10:57 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

First, dilution ratios are not meant to be a "guess"... take the time to properly measure your chemicals or you cannot expect the best results. HydrO2 is meant to be diluted 3:1 (3 parts water to 1 part concentrate). If you used the 100mL (3.38oz) bottle of HydrO2, you need to mix it with 300mL (10.14oz) of water for a total of 13.5oz of mixed solution... not sure how you ended up with 26-28 oz.

Second, it sounds like user error in that you applied to a MUCH larger area than you should have and used a lot of product. As I mentioned several times, you only need to mist the product on the area - over application does nothing for you except waste product. You should apply it to one panel at a time, and rinse off thoroughly before proceeding to any other area. Starting at the top of the vehicle (roof), then working your way down to the other horizontal areas, and finally the sides, front, and back. (be aware of any potential overspray as you are working and be sure to rinse areas that may have been accidentally sprayed too) The product should be removed in under 1 minute from start of application, and in warm climates, even 30 seconds may be pushing it which is why i recommend working on only one panel at a time, and spraying immediately (which can typically be done in 10-15 seconds from start of application to that section).

The streaking will wear away over time if you do not want to polish it, but in the future if you simply spray some HydrO2 solution directly onto a sponge or mitt, wipe the streaks, and then immediately spray away, that should remove them but it has been too long to attempt this fix now. If you decide to polish, it should not take more than a quick pass or two with a very fine finishing polish.... so you could go over the entire car in well under an hour (assuming your streaks are light, but since you said you applied a lot of product, it could take more time).

Sorry you had bad luck with the product, but when used properly, it is simply an incredible product and one that has never caused me any issues.

-Zach

Last edited by zmcgovern4; 05-21-14 at 11:06 AM.
Old 05-21-14, 11:16 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Yeah, 26-28oz may have been a miscalculation. The bottle I was using was from Chemical Guys, (32oz) bottle that had ratios on the side. When I dumped the Hydro2 into the bottle, it filled that bottle to the 5:1 line. I put what I thought would be enough water to dilute it. If I "over diluted"...that doesn't bother me.

The good news is, since I used this on the big panels first (hood, roof and trunk), those panels look fantastic (no streaks).

Good luck to anyone else who uses this, just be cautious.

I'll go back to using Zaino.

Thanks

Oh, and Windex (with ammonia) seems to work somewhat on removing it from the windows. I don't typically use ammonia based window cleaner, but the alcohol mixture didn't work, so I had to try something. Maybe I should use my wife's fingernail polish remover on the windows... I'm bound and determined to ruin my paint/car here.
Old 05-21-14, 12:25 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by jtrue28
Yeah, 26-28oz may have been a miscalculation. The bottle I was using was from Chemical Guys, (32oz) bottle that had ratios on the side. When I dumped the Hydro2 into the bottle, it filled that bottle to the 5:1 line. I put what I thought would be enough water to dilute it. If I "over diluted"...that doesn't bother me.

The good news is, since I used this on the big panels first (hood, roof and trunk), those panels look fantastic (no streaks).

Good luck to anyone else who uses this, just be cautious.

I'll go back to using Zaino.

Thanks

Oh, and Windex (with ammonia) seems to work somewhat on removing it from the windows. I don't typically use ammonia based window cleaner, but the alcohol mixture didn't work, so I had to try something. Maybe I should use my wife's fingernail polish remover on the windows... I'm bound and determined to ruin my paint/car here.
Zaino makes a product like the Hydro?
Old 05-21-14, 01:12 PM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

They make products that don't ruin my finish. (or if user error, I can get them off)

Use whatever product you like. I'm just giving fair warning to other people on the fence with Hydro2. It can be dangerous if not used correctly. Sadly I found out the hard way.
Old 05-21-14, 01:51 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by jtrue28
They make products that don't ruin my finish. (or if user error, I can get them off) Use whatever product you like. I'm just giving fair warning to other people on the fence with Hydro2. It can be dangerous if not used correctly. Sadly I found out the hard way.
"Dangerous" is certainly not the right word as it is not harming your vehicle in any way.

That's like saying wax is dangerous because if you don't remove it at the right time it may be a huge PITA to wipe away. Some waxes are "wipe on, wipe off" while others can be left on the surface for extended periods of time...

It all comes down to simply following the directions.
Old 05-21-14, 04:48 PM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

I followed the 5 steps listed on the bottle.
Attached Thumbnails CarPro HydrO2... buy it!-image-71402076.jpg  
Old 05-21-14, 07:51 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

My only guess J, is that you may have let it sit too long on the affected areas... I have gone through 4 bottles of hydro and have yet to have a problem.

Quick Reply: CarPro HydrO2... buy it!