Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Which of these three coatings should I go with?

Old 03-30-14, 12:50 PM
Meguerra
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which of these three coatings should I go with?

I'm taking my 2008 IS 250 Smokey Granite Mica into Lucci Elite Detail in Irvine Ca. for a full Paint Correction/Restoration and as part of the package they offer one of these three coatings. Which one should I go with?

Wolfʼs Hard Body Coating

Aquartz Coating

GTechniq Exo Coating

Last edited by Meguerra; 03-30-14 at 01:19 PM.
Old 03-30-14, 02:54 PM
dagwag77
Driver

Why aren't Cquartz or Opti-Coat on your list? Those would be my coating short list rather than the coatings you've listed.
Old 03-30-14, 05:38 PM
spraymastR
Driver School Candidate

Here's what I would do have them correct
The clearcoat to the best they can then wax it !
Forget the other stuff! Then soap and water
Wax when u want! Spraymaster
Old 03-30-14, 06:22 PM
Antnie2418
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have gtechniq and I love it. Water just falls off the car. It keeps the car smooth like it was just clayed and polished and doesn't need to be re applied for years !!
Old 03-30-14, 07:57 PM
Meguerra
Driver

They did have CQuartz but not Opti-Coat. I have read that AQuartz is better and longer lasting but I think I'm going to go with GTechniq.
Old 03-31-14, 07:11 AM
GoFastTSI
Pole Position

I would request 22ple.
Old 03-31-14, 07:51 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Meguerra
They did have CQuartz but not Opti-Coat. I have read that AQuartz is better and longer lasting but I think I'm going to go with GTechniq.
^You've been misinformed... AQuartz is in fact a 'knock off' of CQuartz. It's a long story....

My understanding is that Aquartz is the original product Avi came out with before Cquartz and the Korean (I think) company stole the formula and rights. Avi then came out with Cquartz which is a much better & longer lasting product. In the end Aquartz is simply an inferior product that is rarely used among professionals.

Originally Posted by GoFastTSI
I would request 22ple.
22ple VX1 Pro is a great product

I would also highly recommend CQuartz UK!
Old 03-31-14, 09:30 AM
Meguerra
Driver

Thanks zmcgovern4. What's the difference between Cquartz, Cquartz UK and CQuartz Finest?
Old 03-31-14, 10:43 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Thanks zmcgovern4. What's the difference between Cquartz, Cquartz UK and CQuartz Finest?
Well, since you are having this done by someone else, I will not go into detail about how they differ in terms of application, but they are all very different...

CQuartz UK is a higher silica content than CQuartz... it is the same technology as the original CQ but it has been tweaked to a 'newer' version more or less. I really like UK and offer it as a budget friendly coating option for my customers because it looks great and provides fantastic protection.

CQuartz Finest is another beast all together.. to compare UK and Finest, I will provide a quote from Corey, the US distributor of CarPro products...

There are a lot of differences between the two. First its important to note that unlike some companies that make two similar products and call one "pro version" this is not the case with CarPro's CQuartz coatings. UK and Finest are two very different products with different chemicals using different modifications and volumes of nano tech Si02 and other ingredients.

Now, to answer what are the differences that you would see or find proof of without looking at MSDS.
1.- Application could not be more different
2.- Finest has superior stain resistance than any coating we have tested including UK. (See expanded story on this feature at end of my post)
3.- Both have excellent gloss but Finest has more gloss then any other (even slightly higher than UK).
4.- UK has an equal "richening" affect equal to Finest
5.- Durability: Finest wins the race here as well although UK is going to last as long as anyone of us "How does it look" types would need it to. Unless it literally only sits in the garage... over the course of 2-3 years eventually you will want to have at least a light polish on the vehicle and add another coat. The truth is there is no such thing as permanent anything... its a poor word choice for something man made... Without cleaning and/or maintenance the environment and mother nature will eventually win! Steel rusts, concrete disintegrates, weeds and bushes will tear through concrete if left to do so. Sunshine and the atmosphere oxidize all substances in one way or the other. The key to us is: How long does the coating help keep the vehicle looking good? The answer is longer than anything else. It should be noted you must care for your vehicle! Its not a license to abuse. Instead it is a tool that with proper knowledge and products will keep your car looking beautiful for years.
6.- Hardness (Resistance to fine wash induced marring) is stellar with both products. Even in UK testing we have some real world test, 6 months after application - one side of car with UK and the other with only wax and sealants and you can literally see the difference in the few ultra fine swirls on the uncoated part.
7.- Finest has more slickness feel to the fingers than UK (for what its worth UK application should include Reload which adds slickness)
8.- Finest sheds dirt better than anything else we have used but UK is NO slouch! We tested it side by side with a competitor ceramic coating that sells for well over 100$ just for purchasing a bottle of the product and CQuartz Uk beat it visibly.
Other notable differences not mentioned above are:
- Finest is considerably thicker averaging 3 microns
- Finest includes a 2 year warranty
Old 03-31-14, 11:40 AM
PondScum
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gtechniq EXOv2 is DIY friendly, because it is so easy to apply and difficult to screw up the application. The ease of application is its main strength. If I was paying a pro to do the work I'd choose a longer lasting product. It's not even the longest lasting product in Gtechniq's line.
Old 03-31-14, 01:22 PM
jcum9472
Driver School Candidate

zmcgovern4, I am considering a coating for my daily driven, but garage kept 99 GS300. I live in Chicago. In your opinion am I best going with the CQuartz UK?

On a side note, I have looked at your detailing website. You do some amazing work!
Old 03-31-14, 01:28 PM
Meguerra
Driver

Well I'm going with the CQuartz Finest. Thanks everybody for the input. I will post a pic when I pick up my IS on Wed.
Old 03-31-14, 01:42 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by jcum9472
zmcgovern4, I am considering a coating for my daily driven, but garage kept 99 GS300. I live in Chicago. In your opinion am I best going with the CQuartz UK?

On a side note, I have looked at your detailing website. You do some amazing work!
CQuartz UK is a fantastic, budget friendly option that will do well on any vehicle. I highly recommend it.

Give Ivan at Lustr Detail a call. He recently started carrying CQUK... doesn't look like he has updated his site to reflect that yet, but he will help you out!

www.LustrDetail.com

Well I'm going with the CQuartz Finest. Thanks everybody for the input. I will post a pic when I pick up my IS on Wed.
May I ask who you will having install the coating?
Old 03-31-14, 01:48 PM
Meguerra
Driver

Jimmy at Lucci Elite Detail in Irvine Ca.
Old 04-01-14, 07:18 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Jimmy at Lucci Elite Detail in Irvine Ca.
Nice - I don't know him personally, but I have seen great work from him.

Be sure to post pics afterwards!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Which of these three coatings should I go with?