Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Bubbles over repaired chips in paint after new clear bra install !! Help needed !!

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-14, 07:19 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts
Unhappy Bubbles over repaired chips in paint after new clear bra install !! Help needed !!

I bought a low mileage 2010 Lexus ISF 2 weeks ago. I detailed the car and had a new clear bra installed today. When I picked up the car there are noticeable bubble over the chips. Before the install the chips were only noticeable at certain angles and certain lighting conditions. Now I feel like they have been accentuated by the clear bra. I called the service advisor to ask WTF, and he said that the bubbles in the clear bra will go away and the ones over the chips will get better. They told me to leave the car parked in the sun and to give it a week. I just wanted to protect the hood and fenders after I detailed and now I am looking at an eye sore. I love this new car and will have them remove the bra and have them respray the hood if I have to but I know thats going to cost a couple of grand. I am willing to live with some signs of the old chips through the bra but not to have the bra accentuate the chips.

Any advice, info, or help would be greatly appreciated
Old 02-21-14, 09:24 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

He's right the bubbles will go away in about a week.. If not, then get it removed and do a repaint like you said.. I had my Optima front completely done and it bubbled in certian spots but got better as the week went on..
Old 02-21-14, 09:29 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks so very much for the response. I did some research and it seems like it will in fact get better. I love this car and I just want it to look its best. It would drive me a little nuts if I had to have it removed, resprayed, then wait the 4 weeks to fully cure, AND THEN reinstall clear bra. Fingers crossed .
Old 02-21-14, 09:31 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tmf2004
He's right the bubbles will go away in about a week.. If not, then get it removed and do a repaint like you said.. I had my Optima front completely done and it bubbled in certian spots but got better as the week went on..
was your optima new and free of chips or were there some chips ? I am more concerned about the appearance of the chips as the clear bra settles and dries.
Old 02-21-14, 09:38 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

new and free of chips
Old 02-22-14, 02:39 PM
lysis250
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I bought a low mileage 2010 Lexus ISF 2 weeks ago. I detailed the car and had a new clear bra installed today. When I picked up the car there are noticeable bubble over the chips. Before the install the chips were only noticeable at certain angles and certain lighting conditions. Now I feel like they have been accentuated by the clear bra. I called the service advisor to ask WTF, and he said that the bubbles in the clear bra will go away and the ones over the chips will get better. They told me to leave the car parked in the sun and to give it a week. I just wanted to protect the hood and fenders after I detailed and now I am looking at an eye sore. I love this new car and will have them remove the bra and have them respray the hood if I have to but I know thats going to cost a couple of grand. I am willing to live with some signs of the old chips through the bra but not to have the bra accentuate the chips.

Any advice, info, or help would be greatly appreciated
IDK where you get your prices from but to respray the hood it will not cost you a couple grand. I know people that have painted their whole front end for under $1K.
Old 02-22-14, 03:04 PM
Greg@DI
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The chips in question... are they actual paint chips or paint chips that have been filled in? Hopefully it goes away as it should if they're not filled, but I've seen some film installers put the film right over recently filled chips and they really pop!
Old 02-22-14, 05:02 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

THe chips on the hood have been repaired but not by me. I am assuming that the cars hood was repaired by the dealer that sold me the car (not sure ). The clear bra left these little gaps between itself and the paint in the areas where there are chips. It looked bad yesterday , but has gotten better over the last 24 hours. I was told to leave it in the sun. Luckily in AZ we are in the low 80s high 70s now. I left the hood exposed to the sun and I drove the car for about 35 min today so the hood did get nice and warm. I am hoping it will get better over the next week. The manufacturers all say it takes about 4 weeks to fully cure but that the bubbles and some hazy spots will get better as the adhesive and water dries.

Fingers AND Toes crossed !!