Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Car Wax Recommendation: Lexus ES 350

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-13, 06:21 AM
Magster32
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Wax Recommendation: Lexus ES 350

Looking for some Car Wax Recommendations for my Lexus ES 350's (2010 & 2011). Paint Color: Satin. Thank you for your help & assistance with this matter.
Old 12-15-13, 07:09 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Magster32
Looking for some Car Wax Recommendations for my Lexus ES 350's (2010 & 2011). Paint Color: Satin. Thank you for your help & assistance with this matter.
Ask a dozen detailers and you will get two dozen or more answers, LOL.

Paint protection comes in three varieties, traditional natural wax, synthetic sealants and coatings.

Traditional waxes typically contain a percentage of carnauba and are easy to apply and remove. They last 4-6 weeks on average before they wear off.

Sealants are synthetic products that are even easier to apply and remove. They last up to 4-6 months before they wear off. There are combo products that contain both carnauba and synthetics as wel,l which typically last up to -6 months before they wear off.

Coatings are the thicker, longer lasting category of paint protectants. These are also quite easy to apply and remove, and last for a couple years with proper maintenance. They are initially expensive, but considering you won't need to apply them as often, they may be a bargain.

With all of these products, they last longer and look better if proper prep work is performed. In fact, it is good to think of the appearance segment and the protection segment as separate. The appearance comes from the prep and the wax/sealant/coating locks in that appearance and provides protection.

A while back, I did a double blind test of 6 wax/sealant products with several of my friends and none could reliably tell which wax or sealant was on which part of the cars in the test. Why? because the appearance is born from the prep work.

What do I use? I use mostly Meguiar's products.

WASH
•Gold Class car wash

PREP
•D300/D301 compound and finishing polish with Microfiber pads on my Porter Cable polisher.

PROTECT
•Ultimate Liquid Wax (actually a synthetic sealant)

After every wash I use D156, Meguiar's Synthetic XPress Spray Wax (also a synthetic sealant, a.k.a. Ultimate Quik Wax) to refresh the protection and slickness. I've found this method extends the protection for up to a year.

Why do I like these products?
• easy to acquire
• easy to use
• repeatable results
• inexpensive
• 100% satisfaction guarantee
• from a company that has been in business for over 112 years
• broadest selection of car care products in the industry

Having said that, there are a number excellent products in the marketplace from numerous manufacturers and most of them yield great results. I'm of the opinion that you should find the product(s) you like to use and then use them often. If you like the way a product works you will be inclined to use it often.

Last edited by jfelbab; 12-15-13 at 07:16 AM.
Old 12-15-13, 11:10 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

^^ Great reply!!!

If I am going to use traditional protection, I tend to reach for Menzerna Power Lock Sealant.
Old 12-15-13, 12:48 PM
jbjones85
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like adam's quick sealant as a sealant and their americana wax for a traditional wax.