Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

How long should I wait to wax my 3IS?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-13, 09:50 PM
2014IS250
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How long should I wait to wax my 3IS?

Hi, All–

I have had my 3IS for about a month now and have washed it about two times (hand washed with Meguiar's products). I haven't wax it yet and I was wondering how long should I wait? I have heard that I shouldn't detail the car for at least a couple of months? I would like to get one good waxing in before the winter hits.
Old 10-16-13, 10:05 PM
vbx
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check the build date. If older than 30 days, it's okay to wax.

For freshly painted cars from bodyshop, cure time is between 60-90 days.
Old 10-16-13, 10:19 PM
aTeAse
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where can I check the build date?
Old 10-16-13, 10:35 PM
vbx
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by aTeAse
Where can I check the build date?
black sticker on the door jam. Most likely by the time it gets here to the US and, it's over 30 days.

The paint goes through a baking process down the assembly line anyways. Unlike freshly painted body panels at a bodyshop.
Old 10-16-13, 10:58 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

No need to wait to wax. That's now an old wise tale, like changing oil every 3k miles. Things have changed and progressed.
They way to tell if it needs it is by touching it. Smooth and slippery? Or slow and friction?
Old 10-17-13, 04:01 AM
Skinnyfats
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
No need to wait to wax. That's now an old wise tale, like changing oil every 3k miles. Things have changed and progressed.
They way to tell if it needs it is by touching it. Smooth and slippery? Or slow and friction?
Not if the paint hasn't been baked it isn't a wise tale. Paint will come off on your waxing sponge / rag.
Old 10-17-13, 06:59 AM
Bryan@Autogeek
Former Sponsor

When the car comes from the factory there is no need to wait in order to wax it.
Old 10-17-13, 07:36 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

There is clearly a LOT of misunderstanding going on here......

New cars are baked before they ever leave the factory. Your OEM paint will be fully cured before you take ownership of it. You can AND SHOULD apply a thorough layer of protection (ie wax, sealant or coating) ASAP upon receiving your new car.

Smooth paint does not mean protected paint. Your paint may be smooth to the touch, but that simply shows that it is clean. CLICK HERE to read an article I wrote specifically about how to tell if your paint is protected and to help discuss the basics of waxes, sealants, and coatings.

The idea of seeing paint transfer to your waxing applicator is very rare these days. This used to occur because vehicles were painted using a single stage paint process. This process DOES NOT have any clear coat!

When you rub a single stage paint, you will see some transfer of the base coat onto your applicator. This will happen whether the paint is cured or fresh.

Clear coated vehicles will not display any color transfer to your applicator because the top coat of paint is clear.

Last edited by zmcgovern4; 10-17-13 at 07:40 AM.
Old 10-17-13, 07:49 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

zmcgovern4,

Have you run across a tinted clear coat?
Old 10-17-13, 08:00 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by DunWkg
zmcgovern4,

Have you run across a tinted clear coat?
Yup, sure have. My dad's acura had a tri-coat paint job with a tinted clear coat.

Even this tinted clear should not show any transfer during waxing. Wax is a non-abrasive product (unless you are using a cleaner wax that contains mild abrasives) and therefore should not be removing any material as you are applying it to the paint.

I did see some color transfer while cleaning my polishing pads, obviously, because polish does contain abrasives and works by removing a thin layer of paint.

Here you can see the red transfer to the towel that I used to clean my polishing pad.
Old 10-17-13, 08:41 AM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

no need to wait... i've taken cars from the dealer straight to the detailer for a new car prep.
Old 10-17-13, 09:12 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by sydtoosic
no need to wait... i've taken cars from the dealer straight to the detailer for a new car prep.
Agreed. You could a while if you'd feel more comfortable, but not necessary.
Old 10-17-13, 09:22 AM
amoney805
Pole Position

Should the original wax be stripped before a new coat is applied?
Old 10-17-13, 09:59 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by amoney805
Should the original wax be stripped before a new coat is applied?
What do you mean by original wax? A layer of wax that you have previously applied, or do you suspect the factory applied a wax?

I would assume the factory would not go through the process of applying any wax to the surface, the dealership might have "detailed it" prior to your picking it up (unfortunately!), but it would surprise me if the factory implemented any sort of wax procedure before shipping the car.

With that being said, it is always best to remove any existing layer of protection prior to applying a new one to promote a better bond between the paint and the protection, however it is not mandatory .
Old 10-17-13, 10:16 AM
amoney805
Pole Position

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
What do you mean by original wax? A layer of wax that you have previously applied, or do you suspect the factory applied a wax?

With that being said, it is always best to remove any existing layer of protection prior to applying a new one to promote a better bond between the paint and the protection, however it is not mandatory .
I mean the wax that the dealer applied.

So before I apply another coat of wax, it's best if I strip it with some dish soap?

Quick Reply: How long should I wait to wax my 3IS?