Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Washing my new car... Today!

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-13, 09:51 AM
aTeAse
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Washing my new car... Today!

Which type of towels should I use for washing and drying?

And where can I buy them?

Only have time once a week. And it's a lot faster to post a thread than search
Old 10-14-13, 10:11 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by aTeAse
Which type of towels should I use for washing and drying?

And where can I buy them?

Only have time once a week. And it's a lot faster to post a thread than search
What have you been using?
Old 10-14-13, 10:12 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

You need high quality microfiber drying towels (NOT the kind you get at walmart or autozone!). If there is a specialty detailing store in your area that would be the place to go, otherwise you will need to purchase online.

Check out this article to learn how to properly wash and dry your car and what products/tools you need to do so.

-Zach
Old 10-14-13, 10:35 AM
aTeAse
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LexBob2
What have you been using?
My car is still a virgin...

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
You need high quality microfiber drying towels (NOT the kind you get at walmart or autozone!). If there is a specialty detailing store in your area that would be the place to go, otherwise you will need to purchase online.

Check out this article to learn how to properly wash and dry your car and what products/tools you need to do so.

-Zach
Thanks will definitely check that out.

I don't know of any stores like that around here.

What websites sell high quality but inexpensive washing/drying towels?

The DIY on the wash seems confusing about; washing in front to back but not circular. And wash vertical in horizontal surfaces?

Also; when drying the car you don't 'swipe' or dry with a circular motion. Rather you quick detail spray and brush off excess water, then pat dry?
Old 10-14-13, 10:48 AM
jbjones85
Lexus Test Driver

you will need high quality drying towels, I prefer waffle weave micro fiber. Detailed Image (google it) has a lot of good stuff and often runs sales on their MF.
Old 10-14-13, 11:10 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by aTeAse
My car is still a virgin...

Thanks will definitely check that out.

I don't know of any stores like that around here.

What websites sell high quality but inexpensive washing/drying towels?

The DIY on the wash seems confusing about; washing in front to back but not circular. And wash vertical in horizontal surfaces?

Also; when drying the car you don't 'swipe' or dry with a circular motion. Rather you quick detail spray and brush off excess water, then pat dry?
The washing process may be more complicated than you are used to, but I assure you it is the safest way to wash your vehicle. Using only one bucket WILL create scratches and swirls in your paint.

It is still a very self explanatory process: Start on the horizontal surfaces (roof, hood, trunk) and then wash the vertical surfaces. Wash in straight line motions, not circular motions. Use very little to no pressure - DO NOT SCRUB!

The drying process is where many people introduce a lot of damage to their paint. The method shown in the article is a very safe way to dry your vehicle using Waffle Weave Microfiber towels. The idea is that you never want to be placing a completely dry towel on your paint. You always want some sort of lubrication on the surface (like a quick detailer or spray wax). If you use the sheeting/flooding method prior to drying then you will not have much water left to dry anyways (assuming your vehicle has a decent layer of wax on it).

www.DetailedImage.com is a great place to find high quality, professional products. The article that I posted regarding washing and drying comes from the Detailed Image "Ask-A-Pro Blog".

They also have a full detailing guide that may help you understand these steps as well.

For basic washing and drying, you will need:
- 3 buckets
- 3 grit guards
- Wheel Cleaner
- Various Wheel Cleaning brushes
- Tire Cleaner and Tire Brush
- High Quality Wash Mitt (I prefer the Sheep Skin Wash Mitt)
- High Quality Car Shampoo (Try one of the chemical guys soaps or Optimum Car Wash)
- Waffle Weave Drying towels (2 per car)
- Quick Detail or Spray Wax (try Sonax Brillaint Shine Detailer)
- Plush Microfiber Towels (at least 5: see "Deep Blue Towel" or "reThickulous Towel")

You might also want to pick up supplies for applying wax or sealant as that needs to be done on a regular basis to keep your vehicle protected.

Be prepared to spend some money on proper detailing equipment if you truly want to maintain your vehicle and keep it looking like new.

- Zach
Old 10-14-13, 02:11 PM
aTeAse
Lead Lap

Thanks Zach!

There's really so much information and I'm just looking for the simplest way to maintain the paint of the vehicle.

Let me get this right:

-Wash car whenever needed.
-Wax car every 3-8 weeks.

Polish, sealants, clay bar etc. can be done in a longer interval? Or should any of this apply also with the waxing phase?(or whenever it seems necessary)

Also; are there any(if any) detailing sprays needed after every wash?

Last edited by aTeAse; 10-14-13 at 02:52 PM.
Old 10-14-13, 03:16 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

An ideal basic maintenance plan (my opinion) is as follows:

- Wash the car at least twice a month (once a week if possible). Apply a spray wax after each wash (or every other wash) to boost the protection in between applications of sealant or wax.
- Decontaminate the paint with Iron X every 4-6 months (if you live in an area where fallout is an issue... ie most cities)
- Use detailing clay once a year following the Iron X treatment to remove other bonded contaminates from the surface (remember to reapply sealant and/or wax after claying)

If you are using a sealant as your base layer of protection...
- Reapply sealant every 4-6 months after decontamination with IronX (don't forget the wheels! wheel sealant helps make wheel cleaning much quicker and easier)
- You may then apply a wax on top of the sealant if you wish

If you are using a wax as your base layer of protection...
- Reapply wax every 4-8 weeks after a thorough wash and dry

- Machine polish as needed (If you utilize proper washing and drying technique, a light polish will not be needed anymore than once a year... you should never have to do a major correction if you purchased the car new and maintain it properly from the beginning)

*This routine is simplified greatly if you have a premium paint coating applied to your vehicle as you will not need to apply sealant or wax and most likely will not need to use detailing clay.
Old 10-14-13, 03:30 PM
aTeAse
Lead Lap

About to order:

Lambskin wash mitt
and the Microfiber weave towel from DI.

The 'decontaminater(Iron X) you're talking about is a degreaser?(and shall I only use those on "hard to clean" areas?(i.e. bird drops/tree sap etc.) or the whole car?)

Any recommendations on a budget wax and polish, and also quick detail spray? Don't need the best stuff, best bang for the buck will do.

Last edited by aTeAse; 10-14-13 at 03:41 PM.
Old 10-14-13, 04:13 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Sounds like you need to do a lot more research prior to ordering...

IronX is a decontamination product used to safely dissolve bonded iron particles (known as fallout) from the surface of the paint.

I would highly recommend picking up some quality shampoo, grit guards, many microfiber towels, a couple of mitts, wheel cleaning products, wheel cleaning tools/brushes, etc

Read through that detailing guide that I linked to earlier!
Old 10-14-13, 04:21 PM
MDames2
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you're worried about scratching the car while drying it, purchase an electric leaf blower and air dry it. I've used that. It is loud, so don't do it early in the morning or you'll make your neighbors irritable. But it works great and won't damage your paint at all.
Old 10-14-13, 07:29 PM
jbjones85
Lexus Test Driver

need to spend the $$ up front to make sure you get quality products and the right products. This will save a lot of time and effort down the road. I probably have close to/over $1000 in my detailing arsenal that I have accumulated over the years but the paint on my 07 SGM with 103K miles looks better than most new cars i see on dealer lots.
Old 10-15-13, 05:40 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts
Default How to care for your Car

When you make a sizable investment in an automobile, you want it to last and look good for as long as possible. Not only will this yield a higher trade-in or resale value but you get the joy of driving a pristine vehicle along the journey. The following link describes how I accomplish this with my vehicles.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/7617339-post3.html

Last edited by jfelbab; 10-15-13 at 01:43 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-15-13, 02:29 PM
aTeAse
Lead Lap

Thanks guys

Picked up a simple wash kit, and investing in a wax like Coli#845. Taking the budget way out. Though I like to still think that I take care of my stuff very well.