Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

which wax or polish gives most shine?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-13, 06:22 PM
PondScum
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
[IMG]
...while Zaino refers to many of their products as a "polish" they are truly more like a glaze or a sealant. As far as I know, none of the Zaino 'polishes' contain abrasives to remove the defects, they just hide them by attempting to fill in the minor swirls and scratches which creates only a temporary solution. Proper polishing will remove the defects permanently.
Zaino Z-2 sealant doesn't have any fillers. It has zero ability to hide swirls. They claim Z-5 has some swirl hiding ability, but it's very minor - most people say they barely notice. So in both cases they should be considered ordinary sealants. They're not bad products, but hardly unique, despite what some of their novice users may think.

Zaino makes (or more correctly, sells, as I'm sure someone else makes it for them) a swirl remover with diminishing abrasives. It's called "Z-PC Fusion - Dual Action Paint Cleaner Swirl Remover". If I had to guess I'd say it's maybe equivalent to Menzerna PF2500. Problem with just one polish is that even w/diminishing abrasives, it's still a compromise. If it finishes up clean enough for black paint, then it doesn't have enough cut for medium or heavier correction.
Old 09-07-13, 12:27 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by PondScum
Zaino Z-2 sealant doesn't have any fillers. It has zero ability to hide swirls. They claim Z-5 has some swirl hiding ability, but it's very minor - most people say they barely notice. So in both cases they should be considered ordinary sealants. They're not bad products, but hardly unique, despite what some of their novice users may think.

Zaino makes (or more correctly, sells, as I'm sure someone else makes it for them) a swirl remover with diminishing abrasives. It's called "Z-PC Fusion - Dual Action Paint Cleaner Swirl Remover". If I had to guess I'd say it's maybe equivalent to Menzerna PF2500. Problem with just one polish is that even w/diminishing abrasives, it's still a compromise. If it finishes up clean enough for black paint, then it doesn't have enough cut for medium or heavier correction.
I guess what I was getting at is that Zaino calls Z-2 a polish, but in reality it is a sealant by everyone else's definition. It just confuses people when they call it a polish because you really aren't polishing with Z-2 since it is non abrasive.

And yeah - as far as paint correction is concerned, you need several products. I personally keep about 8 different compounds and polishes on my shelf at all time just to be prepared for any situation. Meguiar's (SMAT) Professional Products, Menzerna's Line, and have just recently started using some Sonax products for correction work.
Old 09-08-13, 06:59 AM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

this is a 2011 ES... Zaino from head to toe on this car, i even used the zaino clay bar. 8 hrs. in the garage with that car. i used zaino fusion to get rid of the imperfections, it did an ok job but not great. mixed some zfx, layered with z5. threw some z8 in the mix afterwards and some z16 on the tires. right after i'd done this car, i bought some CG and it did a much better job and it was less time consuming. using zaino is like doing a science project.

Old 09-09-13, 01:26 AM
smnlive
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by genaos11
If you dnt knw what your doing just pay someone that knows what he doing so u dnt mess up your own car
True. I burned few spots I first started using rotary with meguiar 105 compound. If your paint need compound i suggest you practice with a beater first.
Old 09-09-13, 08:05 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by smnlive
True. I burned few spots I first started using rotary with meguiar 105 compound. If your paint need compound i suggest you practice with a beater first.
Rotary machines are a thing of the past... use a DA machine and you will get excellent results with little to no risk in burning your paint.
Old 09-09-13, 11:49 AM
SC400MAN
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SC400MAN
I have had great success with Zaino on my wife's Smokey Granite IS. I really thought the shine was much better than anything else I have tried. Going to use it on mu Supra this weekend. I will advise the results.
This past weekend, I used Klasse All-In-One to clean the paint. It works well, doesn't seem to hurt the paint, and polishes off well. Then I used Zaino Z2, which is a sealer with gloss enhancers. I added the quick cure additive and put on three separate coats. My Alpine Silver 1997 Supra now gleams and feels as slick as a baby's bottom! I tried Zaino's All-In-One but didn't like the takeoff. I heartily recommend Zaino!
Old 09-13-13, 06:34 AM
smnlive
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
Rotary machines are a thing of the past... use a DA machine and you will get excellent results with little to no risk in burning your paint.
what do you use with DA?
Old 09-13-13, 11:13 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by smnlive
what do you use with DA?
You're going to have to be more specific...

What pads? What products? What ______ ?

Here is a very short video I took while doing a basic one-stage correction on a 335i. This video shows the Rupes Bigfoot LHR21ES DA machine with a Lake Country Orange Light Cutting Pad (5.5") and I am using Menzerna PF2500 polish.

Old 09-24-13, 10:13 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I am a Zaino guy as well. I also use Autoglym for wax
Attached Thumbnails which wax or polish gives most shine?-img_0038.jpg   which wax or polish gives most shine?-securedownload.jpeg   which wax or polish gives most shine?-img_0020.jpg  
Old 10-29-22, 07:27 PM
Pzazz26
4th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I cannot wait to use the Rupes product on my SC! I was introduced to it this week…helping a friend of mine who can’t find decent detailers. This Tesla could cause seizures by staring at all the swirls!! Just a D/A and their polish achieved amazing results!!! It’s from Italy and I’m sold!!! One picture shows the hood…the other shows the front door unpolished, rear polished…
Amazing!!!