Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Eckbond Coatings (Exterior & Interior Protection)

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-13, 11:47 AM
beachman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Eckbond Coatings (Exterior & Interior Protection)

Just purchased a 2013 RX350. Dealer was pushing "Eckbond" Appearance Protection Package for close to a grand. I didn't take it but am wondering if anyone out there ever heard of this stuff? Googled it and couldn't find any reviews.
Old 09-05-13, 01:19 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

From a professional point of view I can tell you this much:

DO NOT LET YOUR DEALER WASH/DETAIL/APPLY ANYTHING TO YOUR VEHICLE'S EXTERIOR OR INTERIOR.

A high end, reputable, professional detailer will do a much better job and use much better products.

If you are looking for the best protection for your paint, try searching for premium paint coatings such as CQuartz Finest, 22ple VX1 Pro, and Opti-Coat 2.0.

Let me know if you have any questions
Old 12-02-14, 02:34 PM
izmir41500
Driver School Candidate

We got the interior and exterior with eckbond for $600ish. There was another package that offered warranty protection against dings and other stuff. Rock hit the windshield yesterday and cracked it and chipped the roof in two spots. Not sure how it holds up against tree sap, bird poop, etc. yet. I have low confidence in it and will be applying sealant and wax once I get a chance.
Old 12-03-14, 01:51 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just checked their website http://www.eckbond.com/products/ and they claimed ALL kinds of protections: bird drops protection, dent protection, burns, cuts, rips & tears protection... seriously??? Seriously??? Can you hit your car with a market cart and see if it can protect from dent lol. This is TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE!!!!

No way a product can protect the way they claim. Even if you wrap your car with metal (no such thing),metal can still dent.... dent protection... wtf... that is just.... lol give me a break!
Old 12-03-14, 02:09 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by izmir41500
We got the interior and exterior with eckbond for $600ish. There was another package that offered warranty protection against dings and other stuff. Rock hit the windshield yesterday and cracked it and chipped the roof in two spots. Not sure how it holds up against tree sap, bird poop, etc. yet. I have low confidence in it and will be applying sealant and wax once I get a chance.
If you have low confidence in it, why did you spend the money on it? Just curious
Old 04-15-15, 08:11 PM
WolfSnap
Rookie

I paid for eckbond with a 5year warranty against all types of damage.

I've been very careful about removing insect and bird poop ASAP, but today noticed that the insect poop has etched the paint in a few places.

I've filed a claim, and we'll see if it was worth the money...

My understanding is that it's not the coating that's worth the money, but the service that comes with it. They will supposedly send someone out to your home to fix the issue covered by their warranty.

I'll post an update when I know if it's useful.
Old 04-16-15, 12:59 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

if the bird bomb edge into the paint. it can cause major damage that buffing or polishing will no longer work and repaint is then required. i dont think they are going to pay for that lol.
Old 04-16-15, 05:01 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by WolfSnap

I've been very careful about removing insect and bird poop ASAP, but today noticed that the insect poop has etched the paint in a few places.

My understanding is that it's not the coating that's worth the money, but the service that comes with it. They will supposedly send someone out to your home to fix the issue covered by their warranty.

Depending on the severity of the damage, it may not be repairable by an at home visit.

In any case... I would ask them exactly what they are doing to repair the area before they begin. This way you know what is going on. If the etching has penetrated the clear coat, there is no way to repair it except for repainting. If it is within the clear, it can be removed by sanding and/or paint correction depending on how severe the damage is.

In the photo below, you can see the outline of a bird bomb. This is what remained after some heavy compounding (notice the micromarring). At this point we decided the damage was too severe to repair and it had to be left... unfortunately this can happen rather quickly on a vehicle that is not properly protected and has had bird droppings left on it.

Name:  20130920-DSC_4700_zpsbb94a824.jpg
Views: 4163
Size:  299.2 KB

Best of luck... hopefully the repair goes smoothly. (take some before/after pics)
Old 06-29-15, 03:51 PM
awesome2
Driver School Candidate

Default WolfSnap..Update Please.

WolfSnap, can't decide to get this..your update may help me a lot. Thanks

Originally Posted by WolfSnap

Old 06-29-15, 09:06 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by awesome2
WolfSnap, can't decide to get this..your update may help me a lot. Thanks
Some bird droppings can easily etch through even the most durable clearcoats so the idea that some hand applied coating at the dealership will prevent this damage is silly. Even if you get a 5 year warranty with the product and have a guy come out, I will tell you straight up that guy will not have a magic wand that will reverse the damage that's been done. As you can see in Zach's picture, the bird crap etched the paint too deep to remove with buffing. You have to respray that panel.

The only time I can tell you if their coating and warranty was worth it, is if they pay for respraying the affected panels on your car since technically, according to them, the coating should have prevented this in the first place (again, silly, but too many people fall for this type of crap).
Old 07-01-15, 10:30 AM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

all they want is your money... who are you when something goes wrong, they don't know you anymore and they would really appreciate it if you did not cross their threshold again. Shame, damn shame. do not let the dealership touch your car. i don't even like going for oil changes, because i can do it myself and do a better job for hundreds of dollars less. i can change my own brakes etc... it's not rocket science and it isn't hard. if it's something minor... oil change, brake change, headlights etc. i do it myself. inside every car guy/girl their is a mechanic waiting to just bust through your chest (ALIEN MOVIE)... i have taken off the front and back bumpers, changed oil, changed rotors and brake pads, have not messed up my car one time. and i was very careful and triple checked my work. try it, you'll like it. i have also learned how to polish my car, PHIL@detailers domain, and a few others, Z and videos i have watched. i can be a professional detailer, that's how good i have gotten. i can apply coatings (correctly), wash, dry. borderline OCD? i call it a hobby...

Last edited by sydtoosic; 07-01-15 at 10:35 AM.
Old 07-03-15, 05:36 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by sydtoosic
all they want is your money... who are you when something goes wrong, they don't know you anymore and they would really appreciate it if you did not cross their threshold again. Shame, damn shame. do not let the dealership touch your car. i don't even like going for oil changes, because i can do it myself and do a better job for hundreds of dollars less. i can change my own brakes etc... it's not rocket science and it isn't hard. if it's something minor... oil change, brake change, headlights etc. i do it myself. inside every car guy/girl their is a mechanic waiting to just bust through your chest (ALIEN MOVIE)... i have taken off the front and back bumpers, changed oil, changed rotors and brake pads, have not messed up my car one time. and i was very careful and triple checked my work. try it, you'll like it. i have also learned how to polish my car, PHIL@detailers domain, and a few others, Z and videos i have watched. i can be a professional detailer, that's how good i have gotten. i can apply coatings (correctly), wash, dry. borderline OCD? i call it a hobby...
Nice man!

That's definitely the spirit. If you are capable of doing it yourself and have the time, then do it!
Old 02-02-17, 03:10 PM
jozwah23
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by FSportIS
I just checked their website http://www.eckbond.com/products/ and they claimed ALL kinds of protections: bird drops protection, dent protection, burns, cuts, rips & tears protection... seriously??? Seriously??? Can you hit your car with a market cart and see if it can protect from dent lol. This is TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE!!!!

No way a product can protect the way they claim. Even if you wrap your car with metal (no such thing),metal can still dent.... dent protection... wtf... that is just.... lol give me a break!
i bought the eckbond full service.

Eckbond DOES NOT prevent dent - but if you get a dent or chip on your pain - Eckbond will cover the cost.