Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Need help with some small scratch/rock chip repair

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-13, 12:21 PM
AndyS12
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with some small scratch/rock chip repair

Hi!

I'm in the process of fixing some small scratch and rock chips on my ES 350 and need some input on how I should do it. I have the general idea, but some additional help would be appreciated! I bought the touch up paint and clearcoat from automotivetouchup

After washing / clay bar / waxing / drying my ES:
- clean and use prep solvent on the area, dry
- apply touchup paint using toothpick/q tip plastic (repeat if needed, 5-10 minutes)
- clear coat after 1 hour

Then what's the best way to remove the excess buildup and make it smoother, also what's the recommended time length before I should do this? I was thinking 1500 and 3000 grit wet sandpaper then Meguiar's Ultimate Polish?

Any help would be appreciated!
Old 07-01-13, 01:10 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Not sure why you said "washing/clay bar/waxing/drying" in that order... that is not correct.

I would wash the car and strip it of any prior wax or sealant prior to applying any touch up paint. This will help to ensure a proper bond between the surface and the new touch up paint. You can strip remaining LSP by washing with a citrus based car shampoo or a dish soap like Dawn. You can clay the car if you need to after this point. Then dry the car. Once the paint has dried, you can apply protection to it to help keep it from being damaged by the elements.

Also, it is my understanding that most OEM touch up paint (and products like Dr. Colorchip) contains clear coat (or just plain doesn't need it) and does not need to be covered with additional clear coat... can someone correct me if I am wrong on that?

-Zach
Old 07-01-13, 03:05 PM
AndyS12
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
Not sure why you said "washing/clay bar/waxing/drying" in that order... that is not correct.

I would wash the car and strip it of any prior wax or sealant prior to applying any touch up paint. This will help to ensure a proper bond between the surface and the new touch up paint. You can strip remaining LSP by washing with a citrus based car shampoo or a dish soap like Dawn. You can clay the car if you need to after this point. Then dry the car. Once the paint has dried, you can apply protection to it to help keep it from being damaged by the elements.

Also, it is my understanding that most OEM touch up paint (and products like Dr. Colorchip) contains clear coat (or just plain doesn't need it) and does not need to be covered with additional clear coat... can someone correct me if I am wrong on that?

-Zach
I was thinking of washing/waxing the car beforehand before applying the touch up paint, I mean it takes upwards of 24 hours for the paint/clearcoat to fully dry doesn't it and I know I can't wax the car for a few weeks after the touchup paint.

The scratches are only in a few areas, the prep solvent will get rid of the wax in the areas where I will be touching up.

This is where I bought the paint from, http://www.automotivetouchup.com/sto...nts/index.aspx