Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

meguiars claying

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-13, 08:03 PM
lexbabe
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default meguiars claying

Hi, I decided to give claying a try and it definately turned the paint a lot smoother. I used the Meguiars claying kit. After reading alot of the threads on the forum about detailing, I decided it was best to discontinue my membership at the local carwash as of yesterday and I'm definately happy with the results so far. I plan to rewash it and then use Meguiars ultimate compound, Meguiars ultimate polish, then Meguairs gold class carnauba plus wax paste. Is that a good way to start? I just finished the claying about half an hour ago and took the picture with the phone, I know it's dark.
Attached Thumbnails meguiars claying-004.jpg  
Old 05-15-13, 08:58 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Always start with the least aggressive method first to see if you can achieve the results you are after. See how the UP does, and if needed, step up to UC and then finish with UP.
Old 05-15-13, 09:10 PM
lexbabe
Rookie

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
Always start with the least aggressive method first to see if you can achieve the results you are after. See how the UP does, and if needed, step up to UC and then finish with UP.
Ok, will do thanks =) Just wondering if you would recommend using wax paste or liquid wax?
Old 05-15-13, 09:44 PM
sc4jms
Driver

I do the clay bar too. Love the fell after im done. I would go with the up and then the carnuba
Old 05-16-13, 06:45 AM
lexbabe
Rookie

Originally Posted by sc4jms
I do the clay bar too. Love the fell after im done. I would go with the up and then the carnuba
I'll definately try the up first.
Old 05-16-13, 06:48 AM
pmanliu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lexbabe
Ok, will do thanks =) Just wondering if you would recommend using wax paste or liquid wax?
I use meguiar's liquid wax from their ultimate line up mainly because you can apply it both indoors or in the sun, and it doesn't really matter if you get it on plastic vinyl. Plus it buffs off easy with great lasting results. In short, its pretty user friendly compared to the paste wax's
Old 05-16-13, 07:42 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Sorry... I was on my phone earlier so I did not post up too much info... First, great choice on leaving your car wash membership! Second, good choice on learning how to detail the car on your own!

Are you going to be machine polishing or polishing by hand? I would highly suggest looking into a Dual Action (DA) also known as Random Orbital (RO) buffer. You can pick one up for just over $100 (not including pads and some other accessories) and you will see amazing, professional results in much less time than hand polishing. These DA Machines are totally safe, even in the hands of a first timer!

The main reason to start with the least aggressive method first is because you never want to remove more material than you need to. Compounding/Polishing works to remove surface defects by effectively removing a small amount of paint (clear coat in our situation) from the vehicle in order to provide a smoother, flatter surface. For cars that are driven regularly, clear coat is a valuable means of protection and the less you remove, the better.

Just as important is making sure your clear coat is protected by some sort of coating, sealant, wax, or combination of the last two. I personally have a semi-permanent coating applied to my car so that I do not need to seal or wax the paint, however if you are going with the more traditional products, I would personally recommend a layer of sealant followed by a layer of carnauba. If you want to stick with the Meguiar's product line, I would search around your local auto parts stores for Meguiar's M21 - Synthetic Sealant 2.0 and follow it up with something like Meguiar's M26 - Hi-Tech Yellow Wax. These products are both part of Meguiar's Mirror Glaze Professional Line, so they may be difficult to find in your local auto parts stores, but it may be worth shopping around to try to locate them.

Some General Rules:

Wash often (weekly if possible!) - Learn the 2 bucket method, and be sure to follow this technique when doing your car washes to avoid introducing scratches and swirls in your paint.
CLICK HERE TO LEARN ABOUT PROPER WASHING AND DRYING!

Clay As Needed - for the typical daily driven vehicle, it common to clay 1 or 2 times each year.

Polish as needed - As I mentioned before, whenever you polish, you are removing a small amount of paint so you do not want to do this too often. It is common to polish your vehicle with a fine finishing polish yearly or maybe every other year depending on your vehicle's condition. If you follow proper washing and drying technique, you should notice that your vehicle remains mostly defect free for quite a while!

Apply Sealant every 4-6 months - This is extremely important. Your paint needs the most protection it can get!

Apply Wax every 4-8 weeks - this is technically optional if you have already applied a sealant, however carnauba provides a better layer of protection, often looks better, however it does not last as long as sealant.

CLICK HERE TO READ AN ARTICLE I WROTE ABOUT SEALANTS & WAXES AND KEEPING YOUR VEHICLE PROTECTED!

Let me know if you've got any other questions!
-Zach
Old 05-16-13, 12:23 PM
lexbabe
Rookie

Originally Posted by pmanliu
I use meguiar's liquid wax from their ultimate line up mainly because you can apply it both indoors or in the sun, and it doesn't really matter if you get it on plastic vinyl. Plus it buffs off easy with great lasting results. In short, its pretty user friendly compared to the paste wax's
Thanks good to know
Old 05-16-13, 12:33 PM
lexbabe
Rookie

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
Sorry... I was on my phone earlier so I did not post up too much info... First, great choice on leaving your car wash membership! Second, good choice on learning how to detail the car on your own!

Are you going to be machine polishing or polishing by hand? I would highly suggest looking into a Dual Action (DA) also known as Random Orbital (RO) buffer. You can pick one up for just over $100 (not including pads and some other accessories) and you will see amazing, professional results in much less time than hand polishing. These DA Machines are totally safe, even in the hands of a first timer!

The main reason to start with the least aggressive method first is because you never want to remove more material than you need to. Compounding/Polishing works to remove surface defects by effectively removing a small amount of paint (clear coat in our situation) from the vehicle in order to provide a smoother, flatter surface. For cars that are driven regularly, clear coat is a valuable means of protection and the less you remove, the better.

Just as important is making sure your clear coat is protected by some sort of coating, sealant, wax, or combination of the last two. I personally have a semi-permanent coating applied to my car so that I do not need to seal or wax the paint, however if you are going with the more traditional products, I would personally recommend a layer of sealant followed by a layer of carnauba. If you want to stick with the Meguiar's product line, I would search around your local auto parts stores for Meguiar's M21 - Synthetic Sealant 2.0 and follow it up with something like Meguiar's M26 - Hi-Tech Yellow Wax. These products are both part of Meguiar's Mirror Glaze Professional Line, so they may be difficult to find in your local auto parts stores, but it may be worth shopping around to try to locate them.

Some General Rules:

Wash often (weekly if possible!) - Learn the 2 bucket method, and be sure to follow this technique when doing your car washes to avoid introducing scratches and swirls in your paint.
CLICK HERE TO LEARN ABOUT PROPER WASHING AND DRYING!

Clay As Needed - for the typical daily driven vehicle, it common to clay 1 or 2 times each year.

Polish as needed - As I mentioned before, whenever you polish, you are removing a small amount of paint so you do not want to do this too often. It is common to polish your vehicle with a fine finishing polish yearly or maybe every other year depending on your vehicle's condition. If you follow proper washing and drying technique, you should notice that your vehicle remains mostly defect free for quite a while!

Apply Sealant every 4-6 months - This is extremely important. Your paint needs the most protection it can get!

Apply Wax every 4-8 weeks - this is technically optional if you have already applied a sealant, however carnauba provides a better layer of protection, often looks better, however it does not last as long as sealant.

CLICK HERE TO READ AN ARTICLE I WROTE ABOUT SEALANTS & WAXES AND KEEPING YOUR VEHICLE PROTECTED!

Let me know if you've got any other questions!
-Zach
Thanks Zach. It was originally one of your posts that really inspired me to pay more attention to detailing my car

I'm looking into getting a D/A polisher but may try it by hand first. You definately have really great advice. Thanks for the info and links. I will look into buying the sealant and high tech wax this weekend. I'm excited to start detailing me car more now lol.

-Steph
Old 05-16-13, 01:53 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by lexbabe
Thanks Zach. It was originally one of your posts that really inspired me to pay more attention to detailing my car

I'm looking into getting a D/A polisher but may try it by hand first. You definately have really great advice. Thanks for the info and links. I will look into buying the sealant and high tech wax this weekend. I'm excited to start detailing me car more now lol.

-Steph
Glad to help!

If you can spend the money on a machine polishing setup now, I would recommend it instead of taking up so much of your time doing it by hand, only to have to redo it with a machine for the best results.

You can save a good amount of money with some pre-assembled package deals that several forum vendors already have set up.

I personally get all of my supplies via Detailed Image, however other suppliers like Autogeek and Detailer's Domain have some fantastic options as well.

Here is a Porter Cable + Meguiar's Package that is very popular among beginners/DIYers... you would need to add a few more things to it, but I would expect to spend about $300 up front. Remember that this stuff will last you quite a long time though, so you should consider it as more of an investment than 1 time expense.

Good luck, and once again, feel free to ask any questions or shoot me a PM!

-Zach