Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Exterior detailing diy help..

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-13, 05:22 PM
nowayjames
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exterior detailing diy help..

I want to keep my car looking great without costing a fortune always going to the shop, im currently looking at this product,
Meguiar's Complete Car Care Kit : Amazon.com : Automotive Meguiar's Complete Car Care Kit : Amazon.com : Automotive

what do you guys think? I do not have a buffer so I am not sure if i can get the complete detailing without one... should i get one? I am not so experienced with it so i am afraid i would go through the paint with a buffer..
Old 05-07-13, 07:04 PM
lilSCsteve

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

That's not a bad start, especially being a novalist detailer. And to be honest, you could do everything by hand...but having a buffer does make things a little easier. If you decide to get a buffer, I'd recommend a DA (dual action) buffer, more so a Porter Cable XP 7424. It's very user friendly, and you won't have to worry about burning thru clears/paints, etc. If you get a chance, check out detailing bliss on their forum, look under "show and shine" and see what some members are using, things that work or didn't work for them, etc. For a easy read, look at some of threads created by detailersdomain. A lot of great information, to include pics there. Phil and his team does awesome work! Look around, there's tons of information available. GL

steve
Old 05-08-13, 01:00 PM
nowayjames
Driver School Candidate

^thanks! ill check that out, is there anything i am missing from that maguiar package? I don't see any polishers/compound... and is there any product that'll make my car look "wet" mirror black?
Old 05-08-13, 07:56 PM
flektone
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what year is your car? how is the condition now? you may not need all that. Go with your wash of choice. Get the clay bar. then do a paint cleaner like mothers or megs DC paint cleaner. top that with megs ultimate wax. your car will look dripping wet. Also you can maintain that look by spraying on some ultimate spray wax between washes. trust me dude all thats cheap and you get great results by hand. Just take a look

Old 05-08-13, 08:21 PM
lilSCsteve

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

All good points flextone, and a awesome job on the IS. Looks good bro!

steve
Old 05-08-13, 09:20 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

If you're going to clay your car or use an autoscrub pad on it....you definitely need to polish it afterwards to remove any clay/pad induced marring. It may not be obvious on a light colored car, but trust me, any time you use that pad or a clay bar, you are marring the paint. I experimented with several different clay lubes, and there is no escaping marring when you clay/pad your car. On a soft black car, it's scary how much marring clay/pad adds and will probably freak you out if you see if for the first time.

So in short, if you're gonna clay or pad it, polish it afterwards. Just get a finishing polish of some kind like Sonax Perfect Finish or SF4000 and go around it as if you are doing a finishing polish because that's all it takes to remove the clay added marring.
Old 05-10-13, 07:01 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
If you're going to clay your car or use an autoscrub pad on it....you definitely need to polish it afterwards to remove any clay/pad induced marring. It may not be obvious on a light colored car, but trust me, any time you use that pad or a clay bar, you are marring the paint. I experimented with several different clay lubes, and there is no escaping marring when you clay/pad your car. On a soft black car, it's scary how much marring clay/pad adds and will probably freak you out if you see if for the first time.

So in short, if you're gonna clay or pad it, polish it afterwards. Just get a finishing polish of some kind like Sonax Perfect Finish or SF4000 and go around it as if you are doing a finishing polish because that's all it takes to remove the clay added marring.
^This.... is especially true on softer paint like Lexus paint.
Old 05-10-13, 05:02 PM
Lexi66
Pole Position

Default Great results

Originally Posted by flektone
what year is your car? how is the condition now? you may not need all that. Go with your wash of choice. Get the clay bar. then do a paint cleaner like mothers or megs DC paint cleaner. top that with megs ultimate wax. your car will look dripping wet. Also you can maintain that look by spraying on some ultimate spray wax between washes. trust me dude all thats cheap and you get great results by hand. Just take a look

Did you get these results by hand with no buffing with DA or PC?
Old 05-11-13, 03:45 PM
nowayjames
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by flektone

whoa whoa, that is beautiful, this was done by hand?! how long did it take you? what did you use
Old 05-11-13, 03:47 PM
nowayjames
Driver School Candidate

What is marring? And i do have a black gs350 im planning to work on ..
Old 05-11-13, 11:49 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by nowayjames
What is marring? And i do have a black gs350 im planning to work on ..
making the finish dull. it happens if you use aggressive grade of clay or even very fine clay can do it on a soft paint. Under a light it almost looks like it was wetsanded 3000-5000 grit, but it comes off right away when polished with a medium-fine polish.
Old 05-17-13, 07:15 AM
tgui
Pole Position

making the finish dull. it happens if you use aggressive grade of clay or even very fine clay can do it on a soft paint. Under a light it almost looks like it was wetsanded 3000-5000 grit, but it comes off right away when polished with a medium-fine polish.
I'm still learning and this is a helpful tidbit. Thanks.
Old 05-17-13, 04:19 PM
supranyc
Driver School Candidate

You bought the wrong car, quick go back and change the color! j/k .. but black is the hardest color to maintain looking clean and shiny because you can see every flaw clearly. the cleaner it is, the more you will see imperfections and dirt/dust, how ironic right? I've had 2 black cars back to back, needless to say I now own a white car.

#1 rule - NEVER EVER bring your car to a cheap drive through car wash, or even a high volume hand wash place - it'll destroy that shine especially on black. There is a specific (2 buckets) method to wash your car to minimize scratches. Cleanliness and types of materials used to wash the car matter a great deal. Invest in the proper equipment and wash it yourself for peace of mind. You can find all this info in the basic sticky threads on most detailing forums already mentioned above. If you want to get a little more into it, I agree a portercable is a good choice. its orbital so it'll be very hard to damage your paint. I would also recommend Zaino products for 'waxing' - synthetics last longer that carnuba wax, and zaino is the longest lasting product ive come across. I used it on my black supra and swear by it for the shine and more importantly durability. its pretty pricey but well worth it. Zaino on black is really shiny/reflective, but for the wet look, you need 100% carnuba wax. some people do the zaino and then put carnuba on top.

I didnt like spending whole weekends waxing, but i also didnt want to pay a fortune just to have a clean car. you can alternate - find a reputable detailer and use him once or twice a year as needed for a full on detail, and do the minor stuff - washes / touch up waxes - in between yourself.

Last edited by supranyc; 05-17-13 at 04:38 PM.
Old 05-20-13, 08:36 AM
nowayjames
Driver School Candidate

Hey, whats up supranyc. man i am already regretting the black... when i drive around seeing white gs350s pop up here and there i slap myself for getting a black one.

Just went to a car wash the other day and when it came out i wanted to dig a hole and throw myself in there after seeing all the little scratches/not so little scratches around the car!!!!! Where did these come from?! Hopefully i can buff them out sigh sigh.

Originally Posted by supranyc
You bought the wrong car, quick go back and change the color! j/k .. but black is the hardest color to maintain looking clean and shiny because you can see every flaw clearly. the cleaner it is, the more you will see imperfections and dirt/dust, how ironic right? I've had 2 black cars back to back, needless to say I now own a white car.

#1 rule - NEVER EVER bring your car to a cheap drive through car wash, or even a high volume hand wash place - it'll destroy that shine especially on black. There is a specific (2 buckets) method to wash your car to minimize scratches. Cleanliness and types of materials used to wash the car matter a great deal. Invest in the proper equipment and wash it yourself for peace of mind. You can find all this info in the basic sticky threads on most detailing forums already mentioned above. If you want to get a little more into it, I agree a portercable is a good choice. its orbital so it'll be very hard to damage your paint. I would also recommend Zaino products for 'waxing' - synthetics last longer that carnuba wax, and zaino is the longest lasting product ive come across. I used it on my black supra and swear by it for the shine and more importantly durability. its pretty pricey but well worth it. Zaino on black is really shiny/reflective, but for the wet look, you need 100% carnuba wax. some people do the zaino and then put carnuba on top.

I didnt like spending whole weekends waxing, but i also didnt want to pay a fortune just to have a clean car. you can alternate - find a reputable detailer and use him once or twice a year as needed for a full on detail, and do the minor stuff - washes / touch up waxes - in between yourself.
Old 05-20-13, 08:42 AM
nowayjames
Driver School Candidate

GUYS,GUYS i been working lately too tired to update, but im ready to purchase products for me vehicle. im between
Amazon.com: Meguiar's Ultimate Car Care Kit: Automotive Amazon.com: Meguiar's Ultimate Car Care Kit: Automotive

Amazon.com: Meguiar's Complete Car Care Kit: Automotive Amazon.com: Meguiar's Complete Car Care Kit: Automotive

Which one should i get? Throw in some products that aren't in there if you feel i need.. I want to knock the purchasing down to one swoop. And does scratch-X work? I got afew scratches on my car i would like to try to make disapear.. ty ty!

Quick Reply: Exterior detailing diy help..