Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Using DA polishers on bumpers

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-13, 02:16 PM
modthispny
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Using DA polishers on bumpers

thinking of getting the Meguiar's Professional Dual Action Polisher, but how do you use it on the curvy parts of the car such as the front and rear bumpers? door handles, etc.

also, does your technique have to be different on bumpers since they are plastic and not metal?

thanks
Old 01-04-13, 09:21 PM
lilSCsteve

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Modthispny, just like anything...slow and steady, as well as the understanding of the machinery, and products makes all the difference. Having said that. Is your bumper painted or color matched to the vehicle? If so, you can use a DA with no problem. 1. I would recommending using painter's tape around any lights, IOT save damage, etc. You must also be careful near creases...buff away from creases (spaces where bumper separates) to keep from burning/damaging the edges. 2. You could you a 3 or 4 inch buffering pad, or polish by hand? For door handles, I would definitely polish by hand...depending on the type of doors you are working on? If you're working on a black, grey or plastic bumper that's not color matched. I wouldn't use a DA. I would suggest a thorough cleansing, drying, and then follow up with Adam's IN and OUT spray. Then use a soft microfiber to wipe away any excess spray. For metal bumpers, I use White Diamond metal polish...it's a polish and a sealant. Works wonders! I normally polish by hand, followed by a soft microfiber.

One other alibi-Detailersdomain (Phil) is an approved sponsor here on CL. You can search "detailersdomain" and see some of their work. I hope I was able to assist you some? GL and keep us posted!

steve

Last edited by eyezack87; 01-08-13 at 10:50 PM. Reason: Don't link to nonapproved sites even though they are owned by sponsors. Thanks!
Old 01-05-13, 08:18 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

What Steve said^.

Just use a smaller bp on the tighter spots. You don't have anything to worry about with a da and plastic bumpers. It's the rotary that is a bit dangerous when ran at a high speed by someone inexperienced. plastic heats up faster than metal so might wanna keep that in mind.