Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Washing your car.

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-12, 06:52 PM
Xpcgamer
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Paint still feels glass smooth. Wondering if I should give it a coat of wax-polish or both?
Old 12-29-12, 07:40 PM
KratosBear
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Xpcgamer
Paint still feels glass smooth. Wondering if I should give it a coat of wax-polish or both?
Did you do the plastic bag test? If so, and still smooth...then no claying needed I would say polish if your car doesn't have the shine/depth in the paint you want or has fine scratches. If nothing else, put some wax on your car to protect through the winter and then in the spring you can do the paint correction (wash, clay, compound [if needed], polish, and then wax). There is a guy on youtube "Junkman" that has excellent videos about detailing your car. I actually learned a lot from his videos. Hope this helps.
Old 12-29-12, 07:48 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

ive heard great things about the california duster.

u should do some research into that.
Old 12-30-12, 06:33 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 1sWt2GS
ive heard great things about the california duster.

u should do some research into that.
The duster works well on light dust and if you very lightly apply it and move it over the paint.Barely touch the paint.
Never use it on pollen because you wouldn't think so but pollen is abrasive.
Old 12-30-12, 07:17 AM
KratosBear
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Joeb427
The duster works well on light dust and if you very lightly apply it and move it over the paint.Barely touch the paint.
Never use it on pollen because you wouldn't think so but pollen is abrasive.
I agree that if you do use a duster be careful. Personally, I don't use a duster. Lot's of pros and cons but mainly the chance of scratching even if used lightly. If you spend 5 hours or more polishing your car to remove fine scratches, you know what I mean. Bottom line, research on the net and you will hear from both sides to make your own conclusion. That is the fun part
Old 12-30-12, 09:00 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by KratosBear
I agree that if you do use a duster be careful. Personally, I don't use a duster. Lot's of pros and cons but mainly the chance of scratching even if used lightly. If you spend 5 hours or more polishing your car to remove fine scratches, you know what I mean. Bottom line, research on the net and you will hear from both sides to make your own conclusion. That is the fun part
On white,silver etc a duster used correctly is really not a problem vs dark colors,I wouldn't use one on dark colors.Especially black and more so on Lexus black paint which many say seems to get fine scratches so easily..
Old 04-26-13, 08:54 PM
Lexi66
Pole Position

Default Washing and Drying

Originally Posted by KratosBear
I use Adam's detailing products and purchased a porter cable 7424XP! It is a process to wash with dawn, clay, wash again, compound (if needed), polish (removes fine scratches and swirls), and wax. It takes me about 4 - 6 hours. There are others that complete this process and takes about a week! Bottom line, a porter cable is your best friend! I use the 7424XP because it will not burn through your clear or damage your paint! Unless, you start banging your car with it! Oh... and I always use the 2 bucket system and dry my car with a battery operated leaf blower (Black and Decker). Neighbors think I am crazy blow drying my cars but it does help minimize scratches, spider webs, etc! Good Luck!

What's the model number & specs for the battery operated B&D leaf blower? Is the
charger pricey?

Thanks!
Old 04-27-13, 05:59 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Drying a black car with a chamois or old cotton towels will leave marring. I'd suggest learning to wash and dry your care properly. Search out the "Two Bucket Wash Method". I prefer to use genuine sheepskin wash mitts and I replace them twice year. The older mitts get the dirtier jobs of rocker panels and wheels. IMO, the sheepskin releases dirt better than the microfiber mitts. I dry by using low water pressure and sheeting the water off the paint as much as possible then I dab the remaining with a waffle weave micro-fiber drying towel. Virtually anything you wipe across the paint has the potential so show marring with the soft Lexus black paint.

I typically follow up every wash with Meguiar's Ultimate Quick Wax. This is really a wipe on/wipe off sealant and not a wax but the point here is that it tends to fill any slight marring and boosts the original wax or sealant you have applied. This makes the paint slicker so dirt and dust doesn't tend to get a grip. The benefit here is that dirt and dust are easier to remove without leaving marring.

If you own a black car you probably should also own a DA polisher. While carful washing and drying techniques will minimize swirling, it won't keep them at bay forever. This is where a polisher is essential, IMO.

There are a few very good automotive sites that offer "how to" videos of proper washing and drying techniques as well as the use of a DA polisher. A couple that I like are from AutoGeek and Meguiars.

http://www.autogeek.net/detailingtips.html
http://www.meguiars.com/en/videos/

Last edited by jfelbab; 04-27-13 at 06:11 AM.