Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

whats the best way to clean interior windows

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-13, 11:10 PM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^I've tried shaving cream. works pretty well. but you just have to buff it well or else there is a fine film.

I'd try wax first since I heard it works well also.
Old 01-26-13, 05:17 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by jfelbab
You ask where the film comes from... It is the evaporation and outgassing of VOC from the leather, carpeting, vinyl and any cleaners/treatments you may have applied. These find their way onto the glass. I would suggest using products that are non-oily and that dry fully. For general maintenance of vinyl, leather and plastic, I use Meg's Quik Interior Detailer and I have no film deposits migrating to the glass.

Glass cleaning is often challenging. You need to use a product that will completely remove the film and not leave anything behind that can cause streaking.

I use Megs D-line Glass Cleaner Concentrate (D120). IG and Sprayway are also pretty good. I've also found that you can apply a thin coat of Meg's Synthetic X-press Spray Wax (D156) a.k.a. Utimate Quik Wax, to the interior glass to improve the ease of cleaning the glass going forward. It also leaves no streaks.

When cleaning glass I use several microfiber towels. If the dry towel drags, the glass is not completely clean. This likely will cause lint and or streaks to be visible. The final wipe with a dry MF with light pressure should find the towel just slipping across the glass. The glass should be cleaned when it is cool and in the shade.

I also find it best to use a dedicated set of MF towels for glass. That way I don't have any possible contamination from using towels that were used to remove wax or sealant.

How good does this approach work? I haven't had to clean my interior glass since October, when I did the last full detail.
This is exactly a proven method over and over again. Works quite well. Thanks again for sharing the information.
Old 01-26-13, 06:05 PM
509IS350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I justed clayed my truck windows inside and out the other week and sealed the outside with Klasse sealant after DA polish with meguairs ultimate polish. Very clear.
Old 04-30-13, 06:03 PM
Lexi66
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Invisible glass ...

Originally Posted by gs4thirty
x2 on Invisible Glass
Can you also use Invisible Glass on mirrors?

Thanks!
Old 04-30-13, 06:16 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexi66
Can you also use Invisible Glass on mirrors?

Thanks!
Any glass cleaner can be used on mirrors.
Old 05-18-13, 03:40 PM
JoeV
Driver School Candidate

I just purchased and tried the Invisible Glass in the aerosol can based on this thread....it's great stuff! Just sprayed some on a micro fiber towel, wiped the interior glass and all the streaks were gone. I've been going nuts with windex for years trying to get my windows streak free. Great info, thanks CL!
Old 05-18-13, 03:49 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Sprayway and waffle microfibers for glass.
Sprayway is safe on tint too.
Old 05-18-13, 06:39 PM
Lexi66
Pole Position

Default Aerosol or spray?

Originally Posted by jbjones85
invisible glass here as well.
Do you like aerosol or spray?
Old 05-19-13, 08:09 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

We use the Meguired D120 at the diluted ratio with Detailed Image glass towels. Just need to make sure you are not using too much products to avoid streaking.

Mist one of two times on the towel and maybe a little on the glass itself if it's very bad and wipe it, than use the dry side of the towel to remove any left over product that didn't dissolve.

We also use a spotlight after all the windows are done in similar fashion to checking swirls on the paint. It's probably the most important tool you can have when checking if the windows are truly streak free. They can look perfect to the naked eye, but the spotlight will really reveal any areas that need more attention or that were maybe rushed and left some dirt of streaks behind.
Old 05-27-13, 01:05 PM
fishhuntnc
Rookie

Another vote for invisible glass, aerosol. It works for glass and mirrors. Suggest you use with a clean microfiber towel. Paper towels contain streaky wetting agents.
Old 07-11-13, 11:52 AM
adamdk
Driver School Candidate

I have been using hot, soappy water on a microfiber towel then using a small squeegee to wipe off. Use a second microfiber towel to wipe the corners of the windows.
Old 07-31-13, 08:05 AM
redoctane
Driver School Candidate

Stoners invisible glass
Old 07-31-13, 10:16 AM
kamlung
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

another trick i use when cleaning windows...

when trying to buff the glass clean of streaks, wipe in one direction on the inside (horizontal) and wipe in the other direction (vertical) for the outside...

when you are done, step back... if you see any streaks, the direction of the streaks will tell you if you missed a spot on the inside or outside...
Old 08-03-13, 08:46 AM
bruteshot2
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, I agree with a lot of other posters. Invisible glass aerosol. Won't go wrong with it
Old 11-19-14, 08:19 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,991 Likes on 1,415 Posts

Old thread, but the topic of cleaning glass is always relevant...

Pure water and clean towels won't leave a film behind on glass. The film that appears on glass shortly after cleaning is actually the cleaning product...or the glass was not wiped/buffed completely dry. After a couple passes of cleaning with just water and clean towels it is important to make a final pass using a totally dry towel to lightly buff the glass to make sure no moisture is left to dry by itself on the glass. Any moisture (of even pure water) remaining on glass to dry by itself will leave a film.

Quick Reply: whats the best way to clean interior windows