Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Has anyone used Bag Balm on their leather to reduce folds/creases???

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-12, 01:13 AM
ryceboy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone used Bag Balm on their leather to reduce folds/creases???

I saw a video on youtube with a guy using it for his seats and I guess he swears by the stuff. I searcged Google and found some links about people stating its great stuff for leather to keep it from drying out and keeps it conditioned. Anyone on CL use it? I bought some at my local Walgreens but wasnt sure if I should actually try it...

Maybe I'll try on my dad's RL or my moms Oddy.

YouTube Video:

What do you all think???
Old 11-02-12, 07:47 AM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I wouldn't...what kind of car was he using it on? I can't watch the video here at work.

Lexus uses a poly clearcoat on their leather seats, so I'm unsure how that stuff would work with it...
Old 11-02-12, 03:01 PM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

creasing happens when the leather is dry. so i just do a weekly wipedown with distilled water.
Old 11-03-12, 06:39 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

I think I wouldn't want to be sitting on a messy seat covered with petroleum jelly, lanolin, and an antiseptic. Once you realize that your leather is coated with a poly-urethane coating then you will also know that this stuff will not penetrate the paint but sit on top of it. This greasy stuff will serve to collect dirt and cause it to abrade the leather topcoat every time you slide in and out of the vehicle. It will also likely transfer much of this stuff to your clothing.
Old 11-09-12, 06:59 AM
WheezerMF
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use that stuff. ...On my "bag" when I'm bicycling. Works great! But seriously... You don't want your car to smell like my bag.

Use Woolite!!!
Old 06-12-16, 11:21 PM
JALS400
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Yes. It works!

For anyone still interested or wondering about Bag Balm and if it works on car leather, the simple answer is yes it does.

I recently picked up a low mileage UCF20 and the interior is immaculate. However, the front seats wore seat covers most of its life and it seems the previous owner didn't condition it often. The seats looks great for its age, but there are a few very minor crease lines on the seat bottom bolster nearest the driver door, and the leather itself was not as soft as it could be...a little hard and chap to the touch.

I just cleaned the leather Friday evening, applied the Bag Balm, and parked it outside to let the balm bake into the leather under the hot California sun all day Saturday. I went back and buffed any remaining residue off the seats with a microfiber towel.

Visually, the small creases improved drastically. The leather was much more soft and supple, and actually some of the very fine crease lines are all but gone.

I will be applying another round in a few weeks to see if that continues to improve the softness of the leather.
Old 06-15-16, 02:32 PM
Mandrake
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Cool. Thanks for the tip. Is this anything like mink oil for boots?