Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Optimum No Rinse (ONR). Am I doing it wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-12, 09:11 AM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts
Default Optimum No Rinse (ONR). Am I doing it wrong?

At the suggestion of several people on this forum, I ordered my first bottle of optimum no rinse a week ago. Yesterday I had my first chance to give it a go. My car wasn't filthy, but it was definitely in need of a wash because I drove it on a couple of rainy days since the last washing. Plus it is a black car, so you know how that goes.

Anyway, I did everything I "thought" I was supposed to do. I sprayed down my car with the hose, then filled one bucket with 2 gallons of water and 2 capfuls of ONR and one bucket with clean water. Microfiber wash mitt soaked in the ONR bucket, lightly wiped across a body panel top to bottom and side to side, then followed by a microfiber drying towel. Rinse and repeat.

The shine I got after I was done was AMAZING considering how fast I did it. The car has a nice sealer on it, and the ONR brought back that freshly detailed shine, especially at dusk where the car looked like it was glowing. But then, when I got it under some streetlights, I could see a ton of streaking and water spots.

The only things I can think of are that 1.) I must have not been quick enough with the drying towel since I was in partial sunlight as I washed the car, or 2.) I used too much ONR? Next time I'm thinking of following behind my drying towel with a quick detailer spray and wipe. Also, I might just wash it in my garage and completely out of the sun. What methods do you guys use with your ONR?
Old 08-26-12, 10:53 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

If you washed your car in sunlight, even if it was sporadic you are going to get streaks/water spots. Wash it when the sun goes down or in a garage and thoroughly dry it with a microfiber and you should not have streaks or water spots. Washing at night can be difficult though because there is more moisture in the air at night that your car will not get fully dry and can lead to some mild streaks and spotting especially on the hood and roof.

You don't want to use just ONR if your car is very dirty or has actual bits of dirt/debris on some parts because it will lead to scratches and swirls, you will want to hose it off like you did. I made the mistake of washing my car with ONR in the winter when it was pretty dirty in the garage without hosing it off and I got a bunch of scratches and swirls.
Old 08-26-12, 02:58 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

wash in the garage,,, when done always spray QD for final wipedown.
Old 08-26-12, 02:59 PM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 62 Posts

I ONR my black IS-F and 4Runner in my garage. I do not hose them off before hand and always work from top to bottom. I also wash my cars with ONR when they are FILTHY (Which I admit is not too often) with no problems.

I wash one panel at a time and dry it with two microfiber towels, with all the edges/hems cut off of them.

I have NO problem with swirls, streaks, water spots.

Make sure you have the correct amount of ONR to water.