Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Product for bringing back black paint?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-12, 12:12 PM
marshall2j
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Product for bringing back black paint?

I recently purchased a black 94 SC 300 and the paint is atrocious from sitting outside uncovered and unused for many months (possibly years). It only has 77K miles but it looks like it has 300K. There is a heavy amount of water marks and oxidation. I have clayed the car, and the paint is smoother, but there is just too much damage (white crap that can't be washed- guessing water stains) to the paint (clearcoat) itself. I have Pinnacle's Advanced Swirl remover and other similar products (3M, Meguiars etc) to use with my Porters orbital and a medium pad. I was doing a small section and it seems to work, but still taking a LONG time. Any other recommendations? Don't need it perfect, just presentable.

Thanks
Jeremy

EDIT: We'll try to post pics tonight.

Last edited by marshall2j; 07-23-12 at 12:17 PM.
Old 07-23-12, 04:55 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

I'd run over to Walmart and pick up some of the Meguiar's Microfiber pads and D300 and D301 cutting compound and finishing polish/wax. These microfiber pads cut very fast as long as you keep cleaning them after every pass or two. I clean them with my compressor and an air gun. They cut quickly and finish very nice.
Old 07-30-12, 06:54 AM
OnyxGS300
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When you get the paint to a condition you can live with i'd try Meguiars black car kit, it has a detail spray in the kit that really makes black paint pop between washes.
Old 07-31-12, 04:56 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

You need to polish your car or have it polished with a machine if it is that bad. My paint did not look good when I first got my car, too many swirls, scratches, water marks, etc. I tried paint cleaners and hand polishing which made very little difference. I got a PC and gave it a good polish and it was a night and day difference although it is time consuming and can be a pain. 94 is probably single stage if it is black so your pads are going to turn black when you polish it. Make sure to apply a good quality sealant or wax after you polish it. May want to try some Iron Out if the paint has been neglected for a long time.
Old 08-01-12, 03:41 AM
Angelo
Lexus Test Driver

You are going to need a proper detail and you can do it from any kit from Autogeek. Ask Nick and he will set you up.
Old 08-15-12, 01:23 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

This is all real good info for your SC. I would wash, clay, and then dry. Buy a Porter cable buffer or Black and Decker buffer that is adjustable speed. They are pricey but will last a long time. Use a wool pad with a gritty compound, do the entire car, no more than about 1400 on speed. Be sure to spur the pad after each section of the car. This will eliminate the build of compound and prevent swirl marks. Switch pads to a foam/polishing pad or something similar. Get a very good polishing/mild swirl mark remover compound. Do the whole car. Spur each section. Always start at the top and place towels over the windshild wipers to prevent so much compound on the plastic or use use blue painters tape on the edges and seals. Be alot faster clean up. Once done with polishing, then use a high grade wax. Do this by hand. Let dry, then buff out with a orbitor, not buffer. Fininsh up by hand, and go drive.. PM me more details and secrets.
Old 08-15-12, 05:22 PM
RA010623
Pit Crew

post up some pictures it will help analyze the condition