Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Dr. G's Recipe For Shiny Paint - Optimum GPS

Old 07-16-12, 11:18 AM
Nick@Autogeek
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dr. G's Recipe For Shiny Paint - Optimum GPS

Nine months ago at the 2011 SEMA show in Las Vegas Nevada, Dr. David Ghodoussi (better known simply as "Dr. G.") of Optimum Polymer Technologies introduced the much anticipated GPS, or Glaze-Polish-Sealant. Prior to its official launch at the SEMA show, rumors were buzzing across car care discussion forums around the world, speculating what the Doctor was going to reveal at the world's largest automotive trade show.

A new product unveiling from Optimum Polymer Technologies is much like a new super car being unveiled from Ferrari at the Frankfurt Auto Show in Germany. Before even the most minuscule detail is revealed, everyone already knows that it's going to be world-class, yet the introduction is still met with much anticipation.

I remember reading an article in 2010 from a vehement automotive journalist claiming that the then-new Ferrari 599 GTO set the standard for the 21st century super car; little did he know what Ferrari had in store for 2012 when they introduced the F12 Berlinetta. That journalist obviously wasn't familiar with a famous quote from Sir Henry Royce; "Strive for perfection in everything you do. Take the best that exists and make it better. When it does not exist, design it." That's exactly what Dr. David Ghodoussi of Optimum Polymer Technologies did when he came up with the ingenious idea for GPS - a sprayable all-in-one polish that cleans, polishes and protects in one simple step.

I was fortunate enough to be given the first production bottle of GPS from Dr. G at the SEMA show last year. Without hesitation, I tested it out on my daily driver upon returning home to Florida later that week. Needless to say, it earned the vaunted title of being called "the good stuff" before I could even put the bottle down. Buffs long, wipes off effortlessly and has more than enough bite to remove clay induced marring and even light swirls. But how well would it play if used in direct sunlight on panels that would be considered uncomfortably warm for most polishes? Only one way to find out.

The vehicle for this test was a silver Toyota Camry. It sits outside 24/7/365 and hasn't seen any type of chemical or abrasive polish in what looked - and felt - like years. After a quick paint decontamination with the Speedy Surface Prep Towel, I primed my Lake Country Hydro-Tech Tangerine Polishing Pad with Optimum GPS and got started.

Note: 3-4 sprays is all that's needed to prime a fresh pad. After that, only two sprays is necessary per working section.

When working with a cleaner wax/AIO you can expand your working area outside of the typical norm for paint defect removal, which is usually 16" x 16". When polishing the Camry with Optimum GPS, I worked on a 24" x 24" section at a time applying moderate pressure. That's one of many benefits of GPS; the exceptionally long working time. Performing six section passes with my G110v2 equipped with a Tangerine pad was like merging onto the Autobahn in a V12 powered German luxury sedan - a serene experience indeed.

One trait that all Optimum products share is their effortless removal, and GPS is no different. Even when used on warm paint in direct sunlight on a 91 degree Saturday afternoon, GPS was never finicky in its application or removal. Color me impressed. I shouldn't have been, though, because at SEMA Dr. G told me with a muted grin; "you'll be impressed with GPS' performance Nick." Listen to the doctor.

The question that begs to be answered; "Does GPS live up to the Optimum name by providing a level of shine and slickness that can only be described as superb?" Absolutely.

I look forward to exploring the real potential of GPS by finding an oxidized single-stage, mid-90s BMW. If anyone reading this lives in south Florida and has such a vehicle available, you know how to reach me. I'll approach such a challenge with confidence as the Doctor has provided me with the good stuff.

Optimum GPS - Glaze Polish Sealant
Old 07-16-12, 10:25 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 62 Likes on 60 Posts

I use the Polyseal AIO and that works pretty well but this could be better...