Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

how do i keep my car in showroom cond

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-12, 11:37 AM
Chris8152
Pit Crew

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts
Default how do i keep my car in showroom cond

I do like to keep my car in showroom condition, so I do tend to clean it every day but don’t really want to wash it and have to dry it of every day

Ok, I spend 3-4 hours cleaning my car including a good waxing, car looks great.
The next morning I get up, go out to the car and I have either

1, the car is covered in a light dust if its been a dry night or
2, if it has rained, especially if it has been what I call dirty rain, this comes from the Sahara desert and leaves a light dirt/sandy marks all over the car

How is it best to clean it rather than having to wash the hole car again.

In the past I have just used a damp chamois, is the ok or not?
I have noticed some
light scratches and some swirl marks, has this method caused this?
The car is 4 years old so I would expect a few marks.

I have never used the 2 bucket method to wash my car, but I am going to start using this method when I get my new car on Saturday.
Old 06-26-12, 11:57 AM
embolism
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the car has light dust on it, with no rain, then you can use a rinseless or waterless wash on it. Make sure to use plenty of fluffy microfibres and change them often.

If there has been rain, then the dust on there becomes a film, which is not as easy to get off. Here I would use a regular wash or a rinseless but not a waterless. A chamois is not a good tool to wash with as there is no nap and therefore no place for the dirt to go, except to be rubbed against the paint. Use something that is fluffy like a 600 gm microfibre (for rinseless and waterless washing) or a chenille caterpillar sponge/ mf mitt.

Any time you touch the paint and rub, there is a chance you are rubbing dirt/sand against it which is how you get swirl marks. The 2 bucket method helps, as does using clean washing tools and changing them often.

Hope your new car isn't black. Sounds like the car will be outside 24/7 so you should probably stick to silver or white. Those colours don't show marring and swirls that easily.
Old 06-26-12, 12:11 PM
Chris8152
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by embolism
If the car has light dust on it, with no rain, then you can use a rinseless or waterless wash on it. Make sure to use plenty of fluffy microfibres and change them often.

If there has been rain, then the dust on there becomes a film, which is not as easy to get off. Here I would use a regular wash or a rinseless but not a waterless. A chamois is not a good tool to wash with as there is no nap and therefore no place for the dirt to go, except to be rubbed against the paint. Use something that is fluffy like a 600 gm microfibre (for rinseless and waterless washing) or a chenille caterpillar sponge/ mf mitt.

Any time you touch the paint and rub, there is a chance you are rubbing dirt/sand against it which is how you get swirl marks. The 2 bucket method helps, as does using clean washing tools and changing them often.

Hope your new car isn't black. Sounds like the car will be outside 24/7 so you should probably stick to silver or white. Those colours don't show marring and swirls that easily.

Thanks for the advice, Black looks great in the showroom, but I had a black one once and that was a nightmare, my new car is nebular grey so I surpose it would be in-between black and white
Old 06-26-12, 12:54 PM
OutlawTita
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would recommend a permanent coating (OptiCoat is what I used on Nebular Grey). It makes cleaning and regular maintenance less work as well as adding an additional layer of protection. If you have it done while your car is new it won't cost as much to have the prep work done to seal as close to flawless as you can get it.
Old 06-26-12, 01:52 PM
Chris8152
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by OutlawTita
I would recommend a permanent coating (OptiCoat is what I used on Nebular Grey). It makes cleaning and regular maintenance less work as well as adding an additional layer of protection. If you have it done while your car is new it won't cost as much to have the prep work done to seal as close to flawless as you can get it.
I am not sure if it’s the same stuff but as part of the package when I ordered the car I am having the car “ scotch guarded” , the polish not the film, I believe this may be the UK equivalent as “opticoat”, but I am not sure.

Last edited by Chris8152; 06-26-12 at 01:55 PM.
Old 06-26-12, 07:48 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

wash then wax right away, if you park in the garage it should just accumulate dust.

you can lightly touch it up with detail once in a while.

if you constantly clean your car and garage it everytime you spray it down it should just be a light layer of dust!
Old 06-27-12, 11:35 AM
ntwrkguy1
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have used Poorboy's Spray and Wipe for years now, and it's the perfect product for my Millennium Silver Metallic GS430. The S&W leaves the surface slick, and dirt rarely ever accumulates on the surface.

If you're going to go this route, you do need to invest in some fluffy microfibers. It makes this type of cleaning MUCH easier!
Old 06-27-12, 02:07 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris8152
I am not sure if it’s the same stuff but as part of the package when I ordered the car I am having the car “ scotch guarded” , the polish not the film, I believe this may be the UK equivalent as “opticoat”, but I am not sure.
scotch guard is not the equivalent of opti-coat. IMO opti-coat is what you may need. opti-coat is a permanent sealant.
Old 07-02-12, 10:49 PM
eyezack87
Camry ConeKiller

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is one of my favorite threads on Opticoat so far. Its the reason why I have it on my DD since it is outside 24/7 battling the elements. I put it on my wheels when they were on my car to help keep rubber dust off them

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...tml#post625320