Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Foam Guns ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-12, 04:53 AM
dandg
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Foam Guns ?

Hi All,
just added a second Lexus to the stable,this one is Black Onyx 08 GX470 with 25kmiles on it.The paint is in pretty good shape and just been detailed prior to delivery by the Lexus dealer.

After reading all the good info on here I want to step up my basic wash/wax procedure(used the old wash one bucket zymol wax on the Flint Mica RX) to try and keep this black looking as good as it does now. Certainly going the two bucket route and considering a foam gun (saw a nice "kit" gun/nozzle/wash/mitts on chemical guys site) and of course go to the two bucket route.Will probably stick with zymol wax but will go with one of their kits with the second step cleanse and then the paste (carbon I suspect) .

How many of you use a foam gun or was it something you bought and just put on the shelf after a couple uses?

Last edited by dandg; 05-14-12 at 05:01 AM.
Old 05-14-12, 10:27 AM
eyezack87
Camry ConeKiller

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Still something I use today. The foam liquifies the bugs and makes it easier to wash off as opposed to grinding the dried particles in your paint

Here is an old thread I made in the past regarding different soaps with a foam cannon. Please keep in mind a gun uses a lot more soap than a cannon since I had one in the past
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/aut...e-be-foam.html
Old 05-14-12, 10:38 AM
dandg
Driver

Thanks,

I am going to order one,I was pretty sure I wanted it but after reading that thread I want it.Just going to get the foam gun (and the soap.mitts/nozzle kit).

thanks for the post and help
Old 05-14-12, 10:41 AM
eyezack87
Camry ConeKiller

Sure thing. Hope you invest in gallons worth of soap if you wash often enough. I found a straight bottle of soap to be most effective in making bubbles. I'd recommend Automagic Cherry Bubbles for it
Old 05-14-12, 01:22 PM
varcity64
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i have had a foam gun for a few years now and will never wash my car without it. i do however, want to get a power washer with a foam cannon bc they seem like a lot more fun as for using lots of soap, you can mix water and soap in order to rueduce the amount of soap you use, but this will result in less bubbles. also, (and i dont want to scare you), when you say the lexus dealer "detailed" the car for you, it makes me a bit weary. considering it was a cpo(?), i wouldnt be surprised if they used some sort of a glaze to make the black paint "pop". dont get discouraged if you use the 2 bucket method and eventually start to notice some swirls.
Old 05-14-12, 01:42 PM
dandg
Driver

Yes those foam cannons look like fun but I think for now the foam gun will do the trick for me,it has to be many steps better then my former wash method.

Yes it is a CPO and I realize its probably not without swirls after that galze comes off. I will have toe learn to del with them then. I have had Black before (Jeep Grand Cherokee in Brilliant Black Pearl) and know its a real job to keep it looking good.
Old 05-14-12, 01:55 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by dandg
Thanks,

I am going to order one,I was pretty sure I wanted it but after reading that thread I want it.Just going to get the foam gun (and the soap.mitts/nozzle kit).

thanks for the post and help
the chem guys kit should come with soap. maxi suds #2, citrus wash clear or citrus wash gloss. maxi suds won't strip protection no matter the dilution. but both citrus soaps will. 1 cap for 4 to 5 gallons of water won't strip protection. i use honeydew snow foam by chemical guys, that also won't strip protection no matter the dilution.
Old 05-14-12, 09:31 PM
eyezack87
Camry ConeKiller

Yes those foam cannons look like fun but I think for now the foam gun will do the trick for me,it has to be many steps better then my former wash method.

Yes it is a CPO and I realize its probably not without swirls after that galze comes off. I will have toe learn to del with them then. I have had Black before (Jeep Grand Cherokee in Brilliant Black Pearl) and know its a real job to keep it looking good.
Not just fun, more functional. You'll see what I mean when your gun comes in since all the soap runs off pretty fast. Cannon soap sticks for a minimum of 5 minutes, which effectively soaks into whatever is on the paint and makes it easier to come off. I just don't want you to make a mistake thinking that it'll exceed your expectations thats all
Originally Posted by sydtoosic
the chem guys kit should come with soap. maxi suds #2, citrus wash clear or citrus wash gloss. maxi suds won't strip protection no matter the dilution. but both citrus soaps will. 1 cap for 4 to 5 gallons of water won't strip protection. i use honeydew snow foam by chemical guys, that also won't strip protection no matter the dilution.
Don't know why you are giving advice for the actual washing portion when this is clearly a foam gun thread. That recommendation to water will give you nothing when put through the foam gun. I already have a difficult time finding a right mix for CWC in my cannon
Old 05-14-12, 11:02 PM
TCKeyz
Pole Position

I just bought my foam canon a few months back. Right away, I noticed a big difference in washing. Usually my wash mitt will turn brown after each panel, but with the pre-rinse using a foam cannon, I feel like I'm now just wiping the wash mitt on a perfectly clean car. If my car is very dirty, I would just put soap into the bottle with no water added, that way it gives LOTS of bubbles, and a lot of fun!

Just note that your neighbours may look / stare at you everytime you wash your car
Old 05-15-12, 04:22 AM
dandg
Driver

Ok,
now I am confused,not unusual with me thou.

I shouldn't get the foam gun kit from CG as the soap will run off ? I am better off going for a foam cannon (and pressure washer to run it ) so it stays on there longer?.

Also with the soap,don't use the citrus as it takes the finish off,should I maybe forget the kit and go "ala carte" with the honey dew ?

any other tips? I considered getting the wax sealer from them, CG but there was way to many choices-hence my Zymol cleaner and wax choice.I really want to keep this simple and as effort free-still getting nice look as possible. I am just a regular guy who wants to spend a Sat morn every couple weeks or so keeping his cars looking nice.Not looking to go into the business.

thanks for all your help,it can be overwhelming with all the choices

Last edited by dandg; 05-15-12 at 04:26 AM.
Old 05-15-12, 01:12 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by eyezack87
Not just fun, more functional. You'll see what I mean when your gun comes in since all the soap runs off pretty fast. Cannon soap sticks for a minimum of 5 minutes, which effectively soaks into whatever is on the paint and makes it easier to come off. I just don't want you to make a mistake thinking that it'll exceed your expectations thats all

Don't know why you are giving advice for the actual washing portion when this is clearly a foam gun thread. That recommendation to water will give you nothing when put through the foam gun. I already have a difficult time finding a right mix for CWC in my cannon
the reference to the H2O was for the 2 bucket system, not the foam gun. i use heavily concentrated soap in my foam gun and use about 1 or 2 oz., the rest water on setting C, i get great suds that dwell for a few minutes.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 05-15-12 at 01:20 PM. Reason: let's leave the callouts off our forum please.
Old 05-15-12, 01:40 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Ok,

I shouldn't get the foam gun kit from CG as the soap will run off ? I am better off going for a foam cannon (and pressure washer to run it ) so it stays on there longer?.

Also with the soap,don't use the citrus as it takes the finish off,should I maybe forget the kit and go "ala carte" with the honey dew ?

any other tips? I considered getting the wax sealer from them, CG but there was way to many choices-hence my Zymol cleaner and wax choice.I really want to keep this simple and as effort free-still getting nice look as possible. I am just a regular guy who wants to spend a Sat morn every couple weeks or so keeping his cars looking nice.Not looking to go into the business.

if you use any of the citrus CG shampoo,,,, use it in a high dilution,,, i.e. don't pour half shampoo half water. use 1 or 1 and a half oz. in your bottle and the rest water. it will not strip your protection. to play it safe get the Honeydew snow foam or maxi-suds#2. setting A will give you light suds, setting B will give you more dense suds and setting C will give you dense foam. i use my foam gun always and never had a problem with dilution or what and when to use a certain setting on my foam gun.
Old 05-15-12, 02:02 PM
eyezack87
Camry ConeKiller

Ok,

It'll run off rather quickly is what I'm saying. In the long run, you'll use less water and less soap with a cannon set up

For soaps, with the amount you'll be potentially putting through the cannon, any soap that clings, soaks, and is cheap will do. I save all my expensive soaps for a normal wash. The cannon's purpose is to "liquify" the bugs and dirt so it'll run off when you rinse it after foaming

As for the wax, just stick with what you like if you are fine with it. No reason to get a new one for no reason
Old 05-15-12, 02:08 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

I always use a foam gun before stripping LSPs. I usually mix some Dawn dish soap and a citrus degreaser and pre soak the car before washing it with Dawn.

I used to use the foam gun alot more often when I was using traditional waxes and sealants but ever since I coated my car with a nano sealant, the foam gun just isn't needed anymore. I can get most of the dirt, bird droppings, and bugs off the car with just water. I highly recommend it though, definitely not something you buy and leave on the shelf. You'll find yourself using it pretty often. They are cheap and very nice to have.
Old 05-16-12, 08:00 AM
dandg
Driver

Ok, think I have to down a bit better, now and will be sure to dilute the citrus CG,thanks !

Ordered the "kit" today comes with gun,towel and mitts and a gal of that Citrus "wash and gloss" and two smaller bottles of "citrus wash daily and "glossworks" shampoo.Bought some more towels too.

Thanks all for your help,will be happy when it gets here,the GX is not dirty yet but will break in in on the RX.
Rinse, then foam,then dwell,then wash -two bucket,then cleaner,then wax.Then beer !

Quick Reply: Foam Guns ?