Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Krown rustproofing

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-17, 11:30 AM
Airbalance
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Krown rustproofing

just wonder with all the salt they use up in Ontario, I should get the RX done
It is about $129 CAD ,
https://www.krown.com/process/
Old 08-01-17, 07:39 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

I would totally do it. Heard AMAZING things about Krown. I wish we had more shops in the US that did the same thing.

The only thing I'd request they DON'T do is drill holes to gain extra access into certain body panels. I'd be fine with just an undercoating treatment and spraying cavity wax into existing body holes (you can do rocker panels by removing the oem door sills, lower doors through drain holes, rear hatch and hood through drain holes, etc.

Pretty sure it's a yearly service with them (fall time right before winter) because the product they use is not a dry curing substance that lasts that long, just the nature of these products. It's like a clear, slightly amber, waxy/oily kind of coating similar to Fluid Film.

But whatever you do, DO NOT have your dealer do a rubberized undercoating. That stuff will ruin your car.
Old 08-02-17, 05:46 PM
SeanO
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

My IS hasn't seen a winter since 2013 and i get it Krown sprayed every year mid summer - it creeps more when its hot outside but will drip so you will want to have an alternate parking spot for at least 24hrs. If you do it every year it will do wonders for your car especially with all the salt they use up here. I let them drill holes in the side of the doors. I've seen them take tail lights out before I requested them not to do that.. and for the good of your own car.. DO NOT let them clean the exterior of your car with anything.. lord only knows whats embedded in their cleaning equipment.. I ask for just a soap and a rinse
Old 08-05-17, 02:33 AM
Airbalance
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Had it done yesterday
I have no problem with them drilling some holes, the plugs they use will not let water in ,
I use the same plugs in the work I do to plug holes in ductwork, it will not allow air leaks under pressure
so water will not get in

what worry me the most now in Ontario is they put now a liquid salt brine as they salt the road
it makes the salt stick to the road better but the car gets covered in salt
Old 08-05-17, 07:36 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

The best rust proofing for the car you love is to store it in the winter and get a second car you don't care about. OR move to an area with a nice mild climate.

But if that's not an option than spraying a rust inhibitor is the next best thing.
Old 08-08-17, 11:03 AM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

Years ago I had an old Datsun 240Z completely rebuilt and added a V8 to it. Spent a lot of money on the body and got a beautiful paint job. The next day there was a tiny little bubble right in the middle of the door. I went back to the paint shop and the owner asked if I had the car Krowned as he advised. No, not yet. Off I went to Krown had the car done, back home and parked it over night. The next morning, skeptical as I was, off to the garage to check out the car. The bubble was gone, no signs of it, no damage to the area.

Back to the paint shop to show owner the car, he was not surprised at all. He says the Krown will suck any moisture out and keep it protected for years.

I sold the car 9 years later and the bubble never re-appeared and the car never developed any rust. For those that remember Datsun's would rust by looking at them.

Krown Rust Protection and Lubricant T40 in a can is great to have on hand for all sorts of things.