Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Seat cleaning with Woolite and conditioned with Meguiars Rich leather cleaner

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-12, 03:43 PM
boostinsc
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Seat cleaning with Woolite and conditioned with Meguiars Rich leather cleaner

Well today i had a go at my front driver seat which was in bad condition until i used the woolite and meguiars leather cleaner and conditioner. i am looking forward to trying leatherique. And let it sit for 4-6 hours to see if it will make my whole interior look brand new let me know what you think though

here is the seat after

and this is compared to my passenger seat which i did not get to do as yet i will be doing the entire car when the weather gets warmer btw is there anything for the ugly cracks in the leather

Last edited by boostinsc; 01-26-12 at 10:50 PM.
Old 01-26-12, 05:46 PM
eyezack87
Camry ConeKiller

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pretty much stuck with the cracks unfortunately. Nice job so far though!
Old 01-26-12, 09:55 PM
boostinsc
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

thanks zack really that sucks what you think i should do then? and btw if i use leatherique should i do the seat over again and how long to let the product sit overnight or 4-6hrs let me know
Old 01-26-12, 10:56 PM
eyezack87
Camry ConeKiller

Originally Posted by boostinsc
thanks zack really that sucks what you think i should do then? and btw if i use leatherique should i do the seat over again and how long to let the product sit overnight or 4-6hrs let me know
To be honest, once the cracks develops, I haven't figured out a way to reverse it. I've heard of people using steam but I don't have a steamer so I can't confirm that. My RX330 is suffering the same fate sadly....

As for Leatherique, I found the hottest day, then let it sit for a whole day. It seemed to make it softer if anything but that could always be psychological. If you don't have a hot day (noticed you're in NY), use a halogen lamp and shine it at your seats to heat them up
Old 01-27-12, 08:22 AM
neomedic
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What to do to prevent the cracks? Just clean and apply conditioners? (woolite and leather masters?)
Old 01-29-12, 09:45 PM
eyezack87
Camry ConeKiller

Haven't found a way to prevent them. If it were uncoated leather that might be easier though
Old 01-30-12, 05:34 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

The best approach is to keep the leather as clean as possible and the moisture level up by regular wiping with a damp cotton towel.

The leather's moisture level (the life blood of leather) is important as the fibers will shrink and swell as they dry and (re)absorb moisture. A weekly cleaning and a wipe down will preserve the leather as best as can be hoped for. Add a leather protector every month or two and your good.

Leather takes a beating in a car. On a hot day with the windows closed the temperature soars and a lot of moisture evaporates from the leather fibers. It gets scant replenishment until you increase the humidity surrounding the leather. The urethane topcoat on the leather prevent water from directly getting through to the fibers but the humidity levels are increased and by that action replenishes the leather. The less your leather is subjected to these drying and rehydrating cycles the less chance you will see cracking. Make sense?

Once leather has shrunk and caused the top coat to crack it is difficult to care for. Getting things like oily conditioners into the cracks will lessen the surrounding urethane bond to the leather and cause more rapid decline of the leather. Use of a leather protector will be more beneficial but not a cure.

The only real cure for cracked leather is a refinish.

Not all that glum though as I own leather that is over 20 years old that has not cracked. If you care for your leather properly it will likely outlast the paint.

Last edited by jfelbab; 01-30-12 at 05:41 AM.