Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Opti-Coat vs. Cquartz Finest vs 22ple?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-14, 06:12 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 584 Likes on 403 Posts
Default Opti-Coat vs. Cquartz Finest vs 22ple?

Hi folks,

Currently looking into one of these 3 to get applied to the GS. I've nearly eliminated the Opti-Coat because I prefer a bit more shine and reviews have them being a bit grabby. I've heard great things about Cquartz Finest, but not much about 22ple. Any opinions on any of these would be welcome!

Thanks,

Allen

Last edited by Allen K; 12-14-14 at 07:37 AM.
Old 12-14-14, 04:31 PM
popping
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I've actually been doing research on this the last couple days. I plan on having cquartz finest applied next year. As you mentioned the cquartz has a glossier look versus opti-coat. I do like the 5 year warranty on opti-coat though.

The 22ple, from what I read, is not on par with the other two,hemce the cheaper price.
Old 12-14-14, 08:39 PM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

I myself bought optimum gloss coat which suppose to have a better look then optic coat 2.0. Got it with 25% of on Black Friday so I said why not. Haven't put it on yet till spring time.
Old 12-15-14, 05:56 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen K
Hi folks, Currently looking into one of these 3 to get applied to the GS. I've nearly eliminated the Opti-Coat because I prefer a bit more shine and reviews have them being a bit grabby. I've heard great things about Cquartz Finest, but not much about 22ple. Any opinions on any of these would be welcome! Thanks, Allen
I don't have time to write a thorough response at this moment, but I will simply say this... I am an authorized CQuartz Finest installer and have also used 22ple VX1 Pro on my personal cars and customer cars in the past.

Both are nice products... if you're truly seeking the premium option, CQuartz Finest is your best bet.

If you'd like me to elaborate, I'd be happy to when I have more time. -Zach

Last edited by zmcgovern4; 12-15-14 at 06:11 AM.
Old 12-15-14, 06:00 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

I agree with you on the 5 year warranty for Opti-Coat, but it seems like the beading stops on it around the ~2-3 year mark depending on maintenance. I'm honestly doing it because I just don't have the time for a wax anymore and would rather wash and be done with it
Old 12-15-14, 06:01 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
I don't have time to write a thorough response at this moment, but I will simply say this...

I am an authorized CQuartz Finest installer and have also used 22ple VX1 Pro on my personal cars and customer cars in the future. Both are nice products... if you're truly seeking the premium option, CQuartz Finest is your best bet.

If you'd like me to elaborate, I'd be happy to when I have more time.

-Zach
Hi Zach, appreciate the response! I don't think I need an in depth description of the two, but if you have time for some brief pros/cons for either of them that'd be welcome
Old 12-15-14, 12:34 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Opticoat (especially pro version) for longer and more protection. I can confirm the protection and durability of Opticoat 2.0 because I have them on both my cars. My blue IS350 is also attacked weekly by bird bombs and nothing has etched into the paint yet (may be few small spots but you have to examine it under bright light or sun at a certain angle to see) and water still beads/sheets like crazy. Even condensation in the morning beads up everyday up until now (more than 6 months of original application). I tested spraying tire cleaner on some small area of paint several times recently to see how strong the protection is, guess what, it has no effect on the paint and it still beads water like crazy.
My review of Opticoat https://www.clublexus.com/forums/aut...s-amazing.html
What I don't like: it is tacky and not slick, and it is easy to see finger print especially on dark car.

The other two still offer very good protection and they have more gloss, and slickness. If you only consider the latter 2 options, I would pick CQuartz Finest as I have also read a tons of positive reviews on these by pro detailers and users alike. Plus I have used and am very impressed by many CarPro products such as Hydro2, Spotless, Fast Glass etc in general. They are very innovative.

Last edited by FSportIS; 12-15-14 at 12:41 PM.
Old 12-15-14, 01:02 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

@FSportIS - Why do you imply that Opti-Coat (any version) provides more protection than the other coatings mentioned by the OP?
Old 12-15-14, 01:39 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Cee_Dog made a comprehensive reviews of these two products and did tons of extreme testing on it. http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...0-cquartz.html

Beside that, Opticoat Pro offers lifetime warranty while CQuartz offers 2 Years.

Opticoat Pro is 1-2 µm thick while each Cquartz layer is between 0.7 µm ~1.5 µm (apple to apple comparison, no multiple layer multiplier). Synthetic wax is 0.02 µm.

From my personal experience of Opticoat 2.0 protecting my dark blue IS350 parking on street 24/7 going through hot sun and rain plus weekly bird bombs for more than 6 months, I'm super impressed by its protection.

Last edited by FSportIS; 12-15-14 at 01:48 PM.
Old 12-15-14, 02:45 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

The thread you're referencing is nearly 4 years old... since then MANY things have changed with regards to these products. First, Opti-Coat 2.0 is no longer in production. It has been replaced with a product called Gloss Coat which is marketed as a product that provides up to 2 years of durability. Second, OPT has drastically changed their warranty to only a 5 year warranty for Opti-Coat Pro and is only valid on cars that are less than 10 years old (which makes no sense to me), and is of course subject to being void if owner neglect is suspected (as is Finest).

While it is still true that the OCP warranty is longer, that does not mean Finest (or any other coating for that matter) will not live past 2 years. Finest also forms a chemical bond that creates a (nearly) permanent layer on top of your clear coat. The only real way to remove these coatings is with abrasives.

Consider this - Would you buy a Hyundai just because it has a 100,000 mile warranty? No, not necessarily. Just because the warranty period is greater does not mean it is the best car... this is simply one factor to consider in the equation.

The product tested in the video against OC2.0 was simply CQuartz Classic... this is NOT the same as CQuartz Finest that the OP has inquired about. There are 3 coatings in the CQuartz family: Classic, UK, and Finest. The first 2 are consumer coatings, while Finest is only available to authorized professionals. While each of them share the name "CQuartz", they are all completely different chemicals and should not be referred to as the same product.

Regardless of whether you want an apples to apples comparison in thickness, the truth is that as an authorized installer of both OCP and Finest, I know that Finest is directed to be applied much thicker than any other coating. When a vehicle is coated with CQuartz Finest, 50mL (or more) product is used.... in comparison, Optimum only provides 10mL of OCP to coat a vehicle. So the simple fact is that Finest will provide the thicker barrier in this case, which also helps to creat the difference in depth and gloss.

Now, with all that being said, I will simply say that any of the 3 products mentioned by the OP are a great choice. All are leaps and bounds over any traditional wax or sealant, and all will provide good protection, gloss, and ease of maintenance. I have used all of these products and have formed my own opinions of them overtime. As I mentioned, I do feel that Finest is the premium product in this particular lineup, but should the OP go with Opti-Coat, he would no doubt be pleased... I just wanted to point out some of the factors that should be considered when choosing a coating.
Old 12-15-14, 04:44 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Discussion got heated while I was gone Zach, I'm going to go with the CQuartz as I'm really looking for that deep gloss. Any potential downsides to share?
Old 12-15-14, 05:19 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by Allen K
Discussion got heated while I was gone Zach, I'm going to go with the CQuartz as I'm really looking for that deep gloss. Any potential downsides to share?
Hopefully I did not come off as upset with my previous post... it has been an industry misnomer than Opti-Coat is the "end all, be all" in terms of protection when the reality is that OC has the same potential of failing as any other coating in my experience, it is just marketed less conservatively in that they use the word 'permanent' which makes people assume it is nearly bulletproof and "better" than everything else. I was just trying to explain the facts and perhaps try to get people to look past the word 'permanent' and the longer warranty.

Anyway, I'll share some of my high level thoughts on the various coatings as you had requested previously... note: it is assumed that ALL of these products provide good protection, so I will not compare that.

CQuartz Finest
Pros: Thickest layer of protection, fantastic gloss, includes warranty, only available through authorized professionals (CarPro-US is VERY strict with their installers to ensure only the best are installing this product)
Cons: Price (demands premium due to higher product cost and exclusivity)

22ple VX1 Pro
Pros: Fantastic Gloss, high silica content
Cons: Durability of hydrophobic properties, not regulated by 22ple in terms of authorized installers

Opti-Coat Pro
Pros: Best warranty, only available through authorized installers (OPT is NOT strict on their installers... there are tons of them)
Cons: Tacky feel, price (demands premium due to higher product cost and exclusivity)
Old 12-15-14, 05:26 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

No heat at all. It is all civil discussion lol. No pointing finger at anyone in anything.

From a user perspective, the cons is that you spend more time looking at your car all of a sudden and you will want to apply coating to many other cars. You will be also be addicted to pop the paint even more so you buy more and more and more and more detailing products... haha
Old 12-15-14, 09:28 PM
popping
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
I don't have time to write a thorough response at this moment, but I will simply say this... I am an authorized CQuartz Finest installer and have also used 22ple VX1 Pro on my personal cars and customer cars in the past.

Both are nice products... if you're truly seeking the premium option, CQuartz Finest is your best bet.

If you'd like me to elaborate, I'd be happy to when I have more time. -Zach
I based my decision a lot based on what zach has said on this forum, and many others. I'd bring my car to him if he was in my area, and wasn't booked solid lol. Good job zach
Old 12-16-14, 06:39 AM
Merlinii
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMHO I would concur with Zach. CQuartz FINEST would be my first choice,

Quick Reply: Opti-Coat vs. Cquartz Finest vs 22ple?