Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

hazy paint protection film

Old 07-21-11, 05:23 PM
deathstar
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hazy paint protection film

I have a new to me 05 Red SC 430 with the paint protection film on the front bumper and part of the hood. The rest of the car looks like new however the film is hazy and debating on pulling it off or trying to clean it. i have used cleaner wax and detailer products but it had no effect. Any recommendations on what product to use to restore the protection film is appreciated?

another option is to just take it off. that said, do i need to heat it up or something because another member has reported it can take off paint an clearcoat?
any help appreciated and this forum (club lexus) rocks!
Old 07-21-11, 07:59 PM
v8soarer91
Pole Position

if the film is "hazy" its either been hit with some strong all purpose cleaners "apc".
or
the sun has damaged the film.

id recommend to use a chicks or metro dude's hairdryer heat the film up to a point that it releases the glue so that you can peel the protection film off.

buff with your favorite cleaner polish to get it shiny then use grease and wax remover to wipe the residue off then re film if you want
Old 07-21-11, 08:39 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

What brand film do you have. Cheaper versions will fade over time. Most likely you will have to remove. I treat my Venture same as the rest of the car. Wax/ Polish and all.
Looks great.
Old 07-21-11, 11:55 PM
Clear2Cloz
Pole Position

Originally Posted by deathstar
I have a new to me 05 Red SC 430 with the paint protection film on the front bumper and part of the hood. The rest of the car looks like new however the film is hazy and debating on pulling it off or trying to clean it. i have used cleaner wax and detailer products but it had no effect. Any recommendations on what product to use to restore the protection film is appreciated?

another option is to just take it off. that said, do i need to heat it up or something because another member has reported it can take off paint an clearcoat?
any help appreciated and this forum (club lexus) rocks!
these clear bra's can really start looking like crap over time

i wouldnt reccomend "restoring it", i would just remove it. truth be told, it probably couldnt be restored anyhow...especially if its faded. its not like you can machine polish it and take a small layer of clear off.

i bought a 93 notch with a clear bra all the way up the fenders that was hazy and starting to lift in a few corners.

i took it off with mothers compund on an orange foam cutting pad using a PC7424XP. the compund is an abrasive so it will break down the plastic and remove it. it came right off after about 4-5 overlapping passes.

i usually use "higher end" detailing products, but this was not for a paint correction, i solely wanted to remove the clear bra. its a very easy job

http://www.autogeek.net/mothers-rubbing-compound.html
Old 07-22-11, 04:32 PM
AeroTect
Former Sponsor

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Deathstar, depending on what brand of film you have, you might have some options, though after 5 + years, it might be worth a replacement.

If you have 3M Scotchgard, there is an actual Clear Coat on the film similar to the clear coat on your car. You can actually buff this film, and even wet sand it in some cases.

If it's VentureShield Ultra, a heat gun may be enough to restore the shine. trick is to keep the heat gun moving so you don't damage the film or the painted surface beneath.

I've heard of a couple installers that have had success buffing the VentureShield as well, but a foam pad can cause further damage - the only success we've heard of has been with a wool pad. If your other option is removing, you might try this first.

If you still value the protection, have it replaced by a 3M or VentureShield installer.

Too all, MANY waxes can actually cause damage to Polyurethane (what the clear bra is made of), especially those that contain dyes and petroleum products. Use a polymer/synthetic wax such as 3M Performance Finish for best results.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-22-11, 06:56 PM
deathstar
Driver

thanks for the tips, I checked the glove box but I don't know what brand it is, im pretty sold on taking it off now. i wish i could shake the hand of the guy that took such good care of this ride.