ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   Automotive Care & Detailing (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/automotive-care-and-detailing-122/)
-   -   Leather Conditioner (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/automotive-care-and-detailing/574796-leather-conditioner.html)

felixm79 06-07-11 06:04 AM

Leather Conditioner

Hey guys , I am new to these threads , not sure if I am in the right spot ,
What products do you guys use for cleaning and condIition the lether on the rx450h

happy1977 06-07-11 11:15 PM

Just any leather conditioner wipes you can buy.

tfischer 06-08-11 05:50 AM

Wipes? Jeeez! To keep the leather from drying out and cracking, you need to rub some good emolliants into the leather, and a "wipe" won't do that. At best, it might take off some of the spilled chocolate sauce.
For some actual conditioning, and a fabulous smell, try the Zaino Leather Conditioner, used by many detailers and generally considered among the best. Lexol is not too bad, and is more readily available.

smehta 06-08-11 06:21 AM

Use this:

Leather Honey Leather Conditioner, the Best Leather Conditioner 8oz Bottle
by Leather Honey Leather Conditioner. Bought it on Amazon, from Auto speciality retailer.

Product Features
Softens, moisturizes and promotes flexibility leaving your leather feeling and looking beautiful!
Water repellent formula prolongs the life of all types of leather, including leather furniture and upholstery, automobile and motorcycle seats, boots, gloves, purses, saddles and tack.
Deeply penetrates into the leather's pores to protect new leather and rejuvenate old leather.
Made in the USA by a small family business since 1968.
Non-toxic, non-solvent, not sticky, no odor and does not contain silicone. A little goes a long way!

happy1977 06-08-11 11:00 PM

I just use the Weiman leather wipes.

austinGS 06-09-11 09:31 AM

Zaino - Leather in a Bottle. Good stuff

gladiator9 06-09-11 04:15 PM

I have used Turtle wax platinum leather cleaner and conditioner. It is a cream based product and seems to make the leather more supple and smooth. It also cleans any stains or marks off. I use it on our RX and our 02 T-Bird. If your vehicle sits outside a lot in the hot summer sun, I would definately use a leather conditioner of some kind to help keep the seats from drying out and cracking. Once or twice a year would be recommended.
Cheers,
Jim

fr0mastaj 06-09-11 05:10 PM

Pinnacle - http://www.autogeek.net/pin410.html

lexol is garbage. Leaves the leather all greasy feeling.

MEP7557 06-09-11 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by austinGS (Post 6451502)
Zaino - Leather in a Bottle. Good stuff

I agree, that is what I use. Their wax is awesome too.:thumbup:

tfischer 06-09-11 05:25 PM

I don't know about Turtle Wax, and I don't want to knock a product based upon a character from Entourage (love the vodka), but if a single product purports to both clean and condition leather, it is probably not doing a very good job at either. Conditioners and cleaners are very different chemically, and all the products for leather that I have ever seen discussed at Autopia by the professionals is a single purpose product, designed to either clean or condition. Generally, as I recall, anything that is seriously cleaning the leather is taking emollients from it and drying it out. You must use a conditioner afterwards to keep the leather from getting dry and cracking.
It's why you (or your babe du jour) rubs a skin lotion on her legs (and elsewhere) after a shower. Soap removes the oils from your body, which drys out the skin. Ask a dermatologist (or any girl over 15).

tfischer 06-09-11 05:27 PM

MEP:
Zaino does not make a wax, but polymer sealants. There is a big difference.

MEP7557 06-09-11 07:59 PM

I stand corrected. I was using layman's terms. Please forgive me.

happy1977 06-10-11 09:12 PM

Just bought the honey leather conditioner at amazon, free 2 day prime shipping before it expires. Will apply this after my wipes are out.

ggravant 06-10-11 10:09 PM

Zaino here as well

tsslaporte 06-11-11 12:41 AM

Meguairs Cleaner and Conditioner spray, I wipe spray it on, smear it around with my hands, and let the car sit in the sun. Leather is porous and the heat makes it sink in.

Wipe with MF cloth and your done :)