Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

My 2011 RX has freckles! Help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-11, 06:10 PM
ebenz315
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for all your tips, and especially thanks to those of you who recommended specific products, I really have a hard time choosing, it all starts to sound the same to me!

So just so I'm clear, its:

Wash
Clay
Paint cleaner
Wax/seal
Turn heads....

What's the difference between wax and sealer?
Old 06-02-11, 07:09 AM
Michifan12
Pole Position

Do they look like little rust spots everywhere? You can take your fingernail and scrape it off? I have two Starfire White Lexus' and both get this. They come off when you wash the car.
Old 06-02-11, 10:30 AM
embolism
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The rust spots are little pieces of iron that come from brake dust mostly that gets embedded in the clearcoat and does not get removed by washing the car. once they start to rust, you have freckles...

Wax is a natural product that come from the carnauba plant. Gives a warm shine but doesn't last longer than 1-2 months (depends on your environment). Sealants are man made and are much more durable (3-6 months). To get the best of both worlds, ppl put on a sealant, let it cure 8-12 hrs, then top with a wax. Never do it the other way around though or the sealant won't bond to the paint...
Old 06-19-11, 08:26 PM
ebenz315
Rookie

So would a product like iron x remove the brake dust particles? Or will I have to clay?
Old 06-20-11, 12:24 PM
embolism
Lead Lap

iron x will remove the rust spots and other iron you can't even see. Do a search on youtube. On a white car it is pretty neat to watch in action...

still it doesn't replace claying, since clay will get rid of everything including organics like tree sap, tar etc...

iron spots are the hardest to get out though, so doing iron x before claying, is supposed to make claying easier, and your clay lasts longer (doesn't get contaminated with iron).

I like using it on tough to clay areas like around badges, door handles, trim etc.

wash
dry
iron x
rinse
clay
paint cleaner or 1-3 step polish
seal/wax
turn heads

Last edited by embolism; 06-20-11 at 12:29 PM.
Old 06-20-11, 03:04 PM
ebenz315
Rookie

Thank you!!! Can't wait to get my hands on some iron x!
Old 06-28-11, 07:51 PM
ebenz315
Rookie

So I finally got some iron x and all I can say is wow! It works really well, and even though my paint is new, pulled out a ton of contaminants!...I advise against breathing, it stinks.

But my paint feels like glass now! All I have to do now is seal it!
Old 06-28-11, 08:27 PM
embolism
Lead Lap

so are the freckles all gone?

what are you sealing with?
Old 06-29-11, 03:23 PM
ebenz315
Rookie

Yes, freckles are gone! I am sealing with klasse all in one...I also have black fire that I could possibly use. Any recommendations for anything better/easier for hand application?
Old 06-29-11, 08:21 PM
embolism
Lead Lap

Klasse AIO is an awesome chemical cleaner if you use it with a DA buffer. By hand it won't really deep clean the paint but it will still be a good base for sealant/wax. The protection of KAIO is ok but I'd put the blackfire on top of it afterwards. What Blackfire product is it? If it's the sealant then you will have a good 6 months of protection with that combo. The sealant is supposed to be really easy to apply and remove.
Old 06-29-11, 09:10 PM
ebenz315
Rookie

I think its blackfire wet diamond with polycharger? It just sounds shiny! I got it from detailed image.
Old 06-29-11, 09:57 PM
TLcoats
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ebenz315
I think its blackfire wet diamond with polycharger? It just sounds shiny! I got it from detailed image.
Use BFWD! Don't bother with the Klasse on your darker paint. BFWD on dark paints is incredible, makes it literally look like the paint is wet because it adds so much gloss. Post up some after pictures.
Old 06-30-11, 08:01 AM
embolism
Lead Lap

her car is white

trust me use the KAIO before the blackfire
Old 07-01-11, 02:54 PM
ebenz315
Rookie

Originally Posted by embolism
her car is white

trust me use the KAIO before the blackfire
Yes, she is white! I will be going through the process sometime within the next two weeks that I am on vacation...then ill post some pics....

One strange thing that I noticed, the rear bumper guard (black molding like material on too of the rear bumper) it looks like whatever adhesive is keeping that on has bubbled out a little around the edges...I used iron x in that area the other day and has a hard time ringing it because its right near the trunk jamb, where it closes. I kept rinsing, iron x kept dripping. I finally got all of it, or so I thought...does anyone think any leftover iron x child have done that?
Old 07-02-11, 09:35 AM
embolism
Lead Lap

not supposed to let iron x dwell for that long 5-6 minutes, rub it around with a soapy sponge, then rinse but it is safe on trim and chrome. Do you have a picture?

Also how much of the 500ml bottle did you use? For your car, probably 1/3 of the bottle would be enough...

Quick Reply: My 2011 RX has freckles! Help!