Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Which is the better DA

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-11, 07:17 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Plus I heard that the new Meguiar's microfiber pad system doesn't work so well on the XC3401 as it does on a traditional DA such as the GG that doesn't have forced rotation. It's not really a problem since I have no interest in using anything other than foam pads, but if you are osmeone who might be interested in the new Meguiar's MF system, that is something to think about.
Old 04-06-11, 07:30 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by ITR43
The consensus is that the GG is a superior machine compared to the PC and Meg. Plus the Griot's has a lifetime warranty. More power + lifetime warranty =
Hmmm...I went directly to Griot's site and they make absolutely no mention of it having a lifetime warranty on any documentation, including the owner's manual. Where did you find this info? That's a pretty good selling point and I would think they would tout it.

Big Mack
Old 04-06-11, 08:10 PM
ITR43
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Big Mack
Hmmm...I went directly to Griot's site and they make absolutely no mention of it having a lifetime warranty on any documentation, including the owner's manual. Where did you find this info? That's a pretty good selling point and I would think they would tout it.

Big Mack
http://www.griotsgarage.com/category...-+guarantee.do
Old 04-06-11, 08:16 PM
ITR43
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
I know that. That is why i said you can use 5"-6-1/2" pads.

The new BP is 4-3/8" allowing you to use 5" or the popular 5.5" pads. Before you didn't have that option because the OE original Flex BP is 5.5"...so using a 5.5" pad would've only been possible with zero room for error. Now it is possible.

However, that only solves part of the problem. You cannot use 4" spot pads with the new mini backing plate. It's just not safe to have a backing plate that is bigger then the pad you are using and I could see it being a problem in so many different cases.
Sorry, I read your post wrong. You are correct, the Flex can now use 5" pads. You are also right about the Flex and the MF system. Although it CAN be used with the Flex polisher, it is generally not recommended. If you plan on using the MF system, the PC, Meg, and GG are the polishers to consider.
Old 04-06-11, 08:23 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Exclamation

Uh, no. Did you not see this portion?

Some items have a life span during normal use and they wear out. Our warranty does not include replacement of such items after normal use.
They are not going to give a lifetime warranty on something mechanical like a DA. True enough, you may never need a warranty on a quality unit provided it's not abused, but brushes in motors do wear out over the years and are not covered since that is normal, not a defect. Sears offers lifetime warranty on Craftsman hand tools, but only a year or two on their electric/air tools because parts do wear out.

Before you assert that a product has a lifetime warranty, I suggest contacting Griot's directly since even the manual does not state it - and yes, I looked it over extensively before asking.

Big Mack
Old 04-06-11, 08:27 PM
Bigrahizzl
Lexus Champion

Detailed image, do the have the correction system in stock for the 5"??

Do you guys prefer the meguiars microfiber correction system?? I mean I saw the video on auto geek and seems like a promising system. But then again I don't have much experience with detailing, only detailed 3 times in the past 4 years
Old 04-06-11, 09:15 PM
ITR43
Driver School Candidate

Big Mack
Uh, no. Did you not see this portion?

They are not going to give a lifetime warranty on something mechanical like a DA. True enough, you may never need a warranty on a quality unit provided it's not abused, but brushes in motors do wear out over the years and are not covered since that is normal, not a defect. Sears offers lifetime warranty on Craftsman hand tools, but only a year or two on their electric/air tools because parts do wear out.

Before you assert that a product has a lifetime warranty, I suggest contacting Griot's directly since even the manual does not state it - and yes, I looked it over extensively before asking.

Big Mack
Calm down. It's not that serious. Your first post said there was no mention of it having a lifetime warranty. The link mentions lifetime warranty. See..I can make a play on reading comprehension too.
Old 04-06-11, 11:15 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by ITR43
Calm down. It's not that serious. Your first post said there was no mention of it having a lifetime warranty. The link mentions lifetime warranty. See..I can make a play on reading comprehension too.
First off, don't tell me what to do and no need to make an assumption. I asked a very simple question after doing 2 minutes of reading and you seem to be the one getting excited. Making a false assertion and possibly swaying a decision is actually pretty important. I simply asked where you got the incorrect information from. If you want to re-read what I said, I stated that there was no mention of a lifetime warranty on any documentation, including the owner's manual, which is 100% true. A blanket statement on a website is not documentation, an owner's manual and a specific product information page are. There was no "play on reading comprehension," that portion of your assertion is still incorrect and should not be taken into account when choosing between the machines. And the "mention" was contradicted by the very next statement, so how is that even relevant?

Big Mack
Old 04-07-11, 06:10 AM
Todd@ProperAutoCare
Former Sponsor

If you are going to use the Meguiar's DA microfiber system as your mainstay polishing system then the Meguiar's G100v2 is going to be your best bet.

It has several advantages as it relates to the microfiber system that the other polishers don't have.

1) Cruise control- The G110v2 will detect bog and increase the power out put to keep your speed (measured in OPMs) constant. This is important because the DA Microfiber system performs best when operated between 4800-5200 OPM. With other machines you have to 'guess' at the speed and guess at how much OPM bog you are getting. With the Meguiar's DA, you simply select the dial and the machine will compensate. It is far more accurate.

2) A very precise speed dial- The other machines use a rather clumsy speed control dial that features large (and sometimes uneven) differences in speed between clicks on the dial. The Meguiar's G110v2, on the other hand, features a very precise and linear speed selector that lets you dial in the exact amount of power you need.

This isn't too say that the other machines are not good, but the physics of DA polishing is such that precision vs. over all power is more important when reaching the true potential of the machine. Meguiar's designed the v2 to work better with the MF system and at least in my testing, they have done a great job.
Old 04-07-11, 06:36 AM
embolism
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

re the GG lifetime warranty. Just call them and ask. I've read a few posts from pros on AG that have sent theirs back for a replacement. As long as you buy it from an authorized dealer (amazon is not), the warranty should apply.
Old 04-07-11, 08:16 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigrahizzl
Detailed image, do the have the correction system in stock for the 5"??

Do you guys prefer the meguiars microfiber correction system?? I mean I saw the video on auto geek and seems like a promising system. But then again I don't have much experience with detailing, only detailed 3 times in the past 4 years
That's going to be tough to say because the new system just came out. Some suppliers STILL don't even have it in stock yet because it's so new.

Basically, the concept Meguiars is trying to push with the MF system is that it delivers the safety of a DA, but the correction abilities that more resemble a true rotary. That is something that I question because I can't see how a machine spinning at 300-400rpm max (although OPMs are higher due to the oscillation) can compete with a machine that is on average run around 1500rpm for the correction phase. I guess that is something I'd have to try out to believe.

Another option you have is to get a few test panels at a junk yard for cheap and get a rotary to practice with. Honestly, too many people nowadays started out with a DA and never upgraded to a rotary because in their opinion there is no need for it, which in part, may be true. However, keep in mind that any nice rotary will be a MUCH more pleasant machine to use than a DA that will tend to walk you and seem like it's got a mind of its own. Plus the lower quality DAs like the PC will vibrate alot more then something like a Flex XC3401 (which still is nowhere near as smooth as a rotary).

Just throwing it out there since it seems you are exploring the options available. Rotaries are only dangerous if you don't use common sense. Keep it below 1650rpm, don't put any pressure on the machine (let it work under its own weight) and always beware of your arm speed to make sure you aren't doing one spot too long and you won't have any issues.
Old 04-07-11, 01:44 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

I own both a PC and a Makita 9227c. The Makita hasn't been out of it's bag in over a year. I can do everything I need to with a DA and now with the microfiber pads I can do everything I used to need a rotary for. The idea that you need a rotary to do serious correction is now obsolete. In fact, the microfiber pads on a DA work as quickly as the rotary ever could.
Old 04-07-11, 05:46 PM
Bigrahizzl
Lexus Champion

So microfiber is better?
Old 04-07-11, 05:55 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

It is for the paints I've tried it on. It may not be the best for all paints, especially softer clearcoats.
Old 04-07-11, 07:24 PM
Bigrahizzl
Lexus Champion

Lexus paint?

Quick Reply: Which is the better DA